Top 10 Posters

what type of iron is a good quilting iron?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 90
maxidoddle posted on Sun, Aug 10 2014 2:00 AM

I need to purchase a new iron for my quilting.  I have not even looked at them in so long I am at a lost as what to look for now and what brand to buy.  What iron does everyone use?  what are your favorite features and what brand its it.?

I am currently working on the wacky web quilt that is on Missouri Star Quilt site.  I ordered the kit and its coming together great.  until the iron quit!!!

Thanks for any help.

Brenda

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:26 AM

I purchased a Rowenta and after several months the darn thing started spitting water. So I wouldn't recommend it unless u don't use water. After that fiasco I looked all over for a replacement. Bought a Black & Decker not too bad, but like all irons today, it turns off just about  5 minutes before I needed to use it. Pain where I sit. Finally found a 'new' iron still in its box made on the 60's. Stays on and is nice and hot which gives a good press. Found my iron and it cost $3.00! So, good luck on your search. I recommend yard sales and estate sales if you want a hot iron that stays on. (Just remember to turn it off. I forgot the first couple times I used it and it was still on the next morning!)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:47 AM

I have my grandmother's iron that gets very hot and doesn't turn off.  It's a Sunbeam and probably over 50 years old.  I remember to turn it off by having it plugged in a power strip with an ott light I  use.  If the light is on, the iron is on.  I turn off overhead light, but ott light is my reminder to turn off power strip.

Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:51 AM

My 'new' old iron is a sunbeam  (probably same age as yours).  Love the idea of the Ott lite ans a way to remember to turn off my iron. Thanks

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270

My 'new' old iron is a sunbeam  (probably same age as yours).  Love the idea of the Ott lite ans a way to remember to turn off my iron. Thanks

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 45

I have a Rowenta and love it. It is a medium priced version and I have no problem with it spitting water. It heats up fast and is perfect with or without steam. I have one for upstairs sewing room and one in my laundry room. I too have the sewing room iron in a strip with my ott light so I know if light is on so is iron. Glad someone else uses that safety tip.

Judi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
115 Posts
Points 1,970

I had the same problem as Sherry with Rowentas. I finally quit putting water in any of my irons. I use sprit zing with best press or water to remove wrinkles and pressing. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,859 Posts
Points 32,260
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 3:14 PM

I had that problem too so I do like Elaine does now and leave the water out of my iron all together. I did buy a RELIABLE this time around and I have loved it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,720 Posts
Points 121,440

Elaine Phillips:

I had the same problem as Sherry with Rowentas. I finally quit putting water in any of my irons. I use sprit zing with best press or water to remove wrinkles and pressing. 

Me too Elaine. I no longer put water in my irons even though I love having the steam. I think the old steam irons were much sturdier but these new models leak.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,880 Posts
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 3:22 PM

I think any iron is good if you like it. I have hand, wrist and shoulder problems so I can't use a really heavy iron but I find, if it is too light, I have a harder time pressing seams. My current irons are a Rowenta which I do use for steam (no leakage problems so far) and a strictly dry iron by Continental Electric ($15).

I do think it's best to have an iron that stays on or one where you can choose stay on or auto off. I really hate getting up to press and finding my iron cold.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,064
gini replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 11:41 PM

I love lots of steam, nearly any iron will do a good job. I get mine at thrifts

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 65

I use a Rowenta  in my sewing room.  I have had it for about 15 years and I love it.  No problems with sputtering or leaking, but I am careful never to fill it with anything but distilled water.  I love steaming my seams -- and the Rowenta has some weight to it, so it takes less work on my part. It does shut off automatically, but turns back on with movement and doesn't take very long to heat up.  I also, use a power strip and an Ott light to remind me to turn it off when I leave the sewing room.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,209 Posts
Points 16,230

I have a Rowenta and love it !!! I ditto everything Barb said. However, there are lots of good irons out there and whichever works for you is a good one.       Susan

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

I have had many different brands and I think all of them leaked. I now have an Oliso and it does not leak. The good thing about it is that it doesn't turn off until 30 minutes of non use. I like many of the features. It does seem that it may not produce as much steam or get quite as hot as some irons. Probably safer that way. I think I purchased it on Amazon for quite a bit less money than other in store or on line prices.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use