rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 10:11 AM

Marie,  

I'm typing this on my phone, so will just describe and add to with pics when I get to my computer. 

1. Cut leg off of any jean leg, as close to crotch as you can for the length. I usually cut both legs and make 2 at the same time. 

2. Cut the leg, from hem to top, straight up the middle of the back and lay open. 

3.  The hem is the top of the apron and the top of the leg is your bottem of the apron. 

4. Now I cut the pockets off the back of the jeans, I decorate them, sometimes embroider on them, etc. 

5.  Decide where I want the pockets on the apron depending on height and sew them on. Sometimes I just put one on, or one on the top middle. 

6. Then I cut strips of material for that person's interest, like binding, 2.5 inches and bind around the bottem, up the sides.  From the top edge( the hem) I make that strip long and use it for a tie around back. I've also made a loop for over the head instead of tying them around neck. That part is preference. I'm also changing them each time as I learn new techniques. 

7 the last few for men, I cut the angel from the hem ( the top) to go straight instead of a curve for the female one. I noticed this when I was looking online for decoration ideas. 

I'll post the pic again so this makes sense. Have fun with it. I keep changing them everytime I make one. If you do any embroidery, do that first before you add all the strips. I was getting the strip caught in my machine!  The pockets are easy to do the embroidery on. The material is so stiff you don't need hardly any stabilizer. I used a piece of the sticky stabilizer just to hold it in the hoop. Works great and I get to play with my machine like that. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 290
Rhonda replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 10:54 AM

Thank you Michelle,

Like I said, living in Colorado this is such a perfect gift!

Rhonda

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,574
Points 177,993
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 1:37 PM

Thanks Michelle, I'm going to try one and see what comments I get from the "peanut gallery".  LOL

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 5:23 PM

Marie, Get creative with them and post pics!  I thought a class how to make them in NM a few years ago and the ones the ladies made and their creativity was wonderful!  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:30 PM

Can anyone join the Christmas all year long group.  I don't think I have ever seen it.

Joyce

from Md.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,196
Points 18,410
weezee56 replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 8:15 PM

Very cute apron Michelle

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 9:51 PM

Joyce, right now the CAYL group is closed for this year but you could join it next year.  Thea runs a great group where we sign up early in the year, complete a questionnaire where we let our Secret Santa know about our likes and dislikes.  Then we get our names the beginning of June.  That way we have some time to get our goodies all made and ready to gift our SS.  I hope you decide to join next year in 2015.  Also hope you had a great time with family in WV.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 8:28 AM

Joyce:

Can anyone join the Christmas all year long group.  I don't think I have ever seen it.

Joyce

from Md.

Joyce - anyone can join that has an interest in the Group - the part that is closed right now is the Secret Santa Program - we have a program where you sign up to be a Secret Santa for another individual - sign ups for that are in January of each year and names go out the first of June - packages are mailed usually the first Wed in the month of December.  

The group, however, is open all year long - we have 4 owners - and between the 4 of us we try to have something helpful for quilters to do each month of the year to ready you for your own Christmas holiday.

I love the spirit that people have more often then not at the Christmas time.  So opened the group with that theme in mind - at the same time I brought the SS program into the group.  

Join!  We don't have a project for this month at this time.  I am looking for a new one to do in September - but past years have lots of projects to do each month.  Rhonda just did some aprons and one of our wonderful members bumped up our thread April is for Aprons.  We have done hot pads, table runners, placemats, etc.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 10:39 AM

Thanks Mimi & Thea it sounds like a great group.  I love Christmas.  I was part of the birthday group the last year it ran and really enjoyed sending gifts to my group during the year.  

Thanks,

Joyce

Md

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use