Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 100
Phillip Posted: Sat, Aug 2 2014 6:11 PM

I very proudly made four new king sized pillowcases for my bed, saving about $80.  Now I have four used, excess pillowcases.  I've read around the web how you can turn pillowcases into things, but I was more interested in just salvaging the fabric.  I'm still pretty new to all this; any suggestions as to how I should cut the pillowcases, or other ideas on how they could be used?  They are all white so that's helpful!

Thanks,

Phillip

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Phillip, a use for your used pillowcases "as-is" would be to launder them in mild detergent, rinse well, and use them for storing (and packaging) of gift quilts you've made or received from others. They also work nicely for storage of seasonal blankets, sheet sets, etc. They make excellent storage that allows fabrics to breathe, unlike plastic which contains chemicals and are terrible for storage of fabrics. If you plan to store a quilt or other fabric items, be sure to launder them too, before storing.

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 100
Phillip replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:38 PM

Those are wonderful ideas, SpringerMom!  Thank you for the advice.  They would also be a great way to hold batting, which seems to go everywhere for some reason.  I'm pulling the pillowcases out of the dryer right now!

Thanks again,

Phillip

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,539
Points 416,934
gini replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 3:13 PM

hi phillip welcome to the group.  I store quilts in mine, storing batt is a great idea

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Had never thought of storing batting in them... good idea Phillip! If you have photos, would enjoy seeing the pillowcases you made. We love photos here!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 100
Phillip replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:35 PM

I've attached some pictures.  Nothing to write home about, but I'd never made a pillowcase before, so hey, not so bad and saved a bunch of money right?  Oh and excuse my poorly made bed!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,539
Points 416,934
gini replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:36 PM

you did a great job with the flanges

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 100
Phillip replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:51 PM

Thanks!  I'm going to make some for my mom, but replace the cloth flange with 3-4inch lace.  She was just diagnosed with breast cancer so she needs a pick-me-up.  I'm not very visually artistic, but cutting cloth and sewing patches together (in quilts, etc.) is something I can do because I can plan it out ahead of time.  But I can't really draw a circle, if that makes any sense!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,539
Points 416,934
gini replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:10 PM

phillip, look up hot dog pillow cases tutorials.   it is an easy way to make them and you can add a splash of color next to the hem.  I think you could add lace easily that way too.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Phillip, so very sorry to hear the news about your mom. That's hard for both of you I'm sure, as she must be quite young! Sewing her some fresh new pillowcases is thoughtful and she'll love them! Thanks for sharing, and for posting the photos! You did a great job, and your room looks fresh with all white against the blue wall! Stay with the cutting and sewing! It just takes time and persistence; you'll be amazed at what you're making a year down the road!  

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 179,593
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 6:52 AM

Hi and welcome, Phillip.  You've come to the right place for ideas and advice and also prayers for your dear mother.  Your pillow cases will surely cheer her up, they're nice and crisp and white, nice job.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 100
Phillip replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 11:38 AM

Thank you so much, all of you.  For my first post, you certainly are a supportive group!  I really appreciate all your help and attention.

Phillip

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use