French Fold binding

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 530
gingging10 posted on Fri, Aug 1 2014 2:30 PM

Can anyone tell me how to do this binding. I am doing a Split Rail Fence from Easy Quilts Scrap Quilts and the quilt calls for a French Fold binding and I never heard of it. I am just getting ready to cut the batting and the backing to finish the quilt. It's for a wedding and I want it to be finished right. Thanks anyone who knows how to do it they don't show any instructions for it in the book it's from Sept 2011. I will appreciate any help anyone can give. Sue 

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 5:00 PM

it's just a double binding.  I cut  2 1/2 inch strips, enough to go around your quilt and stitch them end to end.  fold in half, wrong sides together, so it is now 1 1/4 inches wide.  iron the fold, careful not to stretch it out of shape as you fold and press.   that's it.  line up the raw edges of the binding with the front edges of your quilt and stitch with a 1/4 inch seam.   fold the binding to the back and hand stitch in place.  you can look up how to do mitered corners on you tube. they're easy to do but not describe.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
606 Posts
Points 9,655
Joyce replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 5:27 PM

gini you explained that really well and made it simple as it is.  I still have problems with those mitered corners and I have made quiet a few quilts.  Sometimes I get them just right sometimes not happy with one side of them.  Practice makes it perfect.  ha

Joyce

Md 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,400

Joyce:
 Practice makes it perfect.  ha

I like that Joyce. So true.  I find the corners easy to make and they look reasonably good, not perfect but I'm OK with them. I could probably practice till cows roost in trees and they still wouldn't be perfect.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
606 Posts
Points 9,655
Joyce replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 5:40 PM

Oh Judy thanks that make me feel better and gave me a giggle.  

Joyce

Md.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 7:59 PM

the trick to the mitred corners is to not bring the fold clear up to the edge.   you need to be just a whisker shy.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
2,827 Posts
Points 39,915

This sounds interesting.  Anyone have a video for the process?  I've done a french seam before on a costume but I guess its too late at night and the sewing brain is foggy.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,533 Posts
Points 47,530

Nancy's Notions has this video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVah9OfHxk

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,549 Posts
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:04 AM

I have a pictoral tutorial on here somewhere how to do a binding... I do it a little different then Gini does.

I cut my fabric 2 1/4" wide...

I have two different methods for picking the fabric for the binding... if the backing fabric will look good on the front - I use it... I always cut my backings 3-4" wider on all sides then what is needed to allow for that shrinkage and pulling in to the center as you quilt.  I cut these pieces off when I square up the quilt and cut them down to 2 1/4" wide...  I sew them together on the diagonal and have a long long strip - I usually don't measure this - I wait till the end as there should be plenty of fabric to make your binding this way... 

If I am using something different then the backing fabric then I measure the sides and add it together - add 10" and sew the pieces together - not in a round but a long long piece...

I sometimes press this but lately have found that it goes better if I don't press but for this lesson we will say press in half wrong side.

I then sew to the right side of the quilt - I use a 3/8" seam...   I start about 1/3 of the way down on one of the long sides - I leave a 10" piece hanging to start sewing... it will be talked about later...when I get to a corner I stop 3/8" from the corner and turn on the diagonal and sew to the corner... cut the thread... fold the fabric now - first up away from you and then down towards you - makes a perfect triangle in the corner - I start sewing right from the edge now down the next side.  I do this for all 4 corners...

Now you have all 4 sides done and you are on that last side where that 10" piece is... I sew down from the corner about 2" on that last corner... I stop... cut my thread - you want to back stitch here so your stitches will not come out... you then fold each piece back and lay them down on the edge so that they meet exactly - I press this fold on each piece with my iron... I then open up the first piece which is the piece coming down from the corner...

Now if you sew your binding together as I do on the diagonal - you will open this up and you will see a cross... you lay this down on the side right side up... you then take the other piece and with fold in tact lay it down so that the fold lines up with the vertical line... you then open it up matching the crosses... pin so that the top and bottom are secure...

Sometimes this becomes a hassle as you are dealing with your quilt and if it is a big one it is bulky and problemsome but you now sew on the diagonal - before you cut the fabric off leaving a 1/4" seam open up and see if it meets correctly ... if you have done it right - it will be perfect.

If you sew your bindings with just a straight across seam - you then put together on those folds and sew on the fold... open up and wahlah - binding is done - well until you start the hand sewing down to the back side...

I found the pictures  - posted some of them here - the first part of this pictoral tutorial that is here on QCA somewhere shows how to do a bias binding.  I very seldom do bias bindings but they come in handy if you are doing something circular or have inside turns instead of the regular 4 sided quilts.  I hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,549 Posts
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:06 AM

Picture 7 should be after picture 6  

I meant before picture 6... argh!

Top 50 Contributor
2,827 Posts
Points 39,915
ls2116 replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 10:37 PM

Great pictorial on the binding!  Your amazing me how you can take the pics and set the binding for sewing!

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use