Top 10 Posters

Elbows

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 75
Marilyn young posted on Fri, Aug 1 2014 9:46 AM

Doing a log cabin and liked cutting my strips by folding the material twice, but once in a while I get an elbow.  I prewash and starch all my fabric.  Any ideas on how to eliminate the elbows.  It does't happen every time I cut.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,468 Posts
Points 41,125
Answered (Not Verified) Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 10:27 AM
Suggested by Mimi

Hi Marilyn!  Sounds like you are doing everything I would do except straighten the fabric.  I was wondering if after you wash, dry and  iron your fabric you match the selvages, hold the fabric from the selvages so its not resting on anything (like you were going to hang it on a clothesline)  and make sure there is a straight fold.  If the fold is wavy, the fabric is not straight.  I slide the selvages until the fold is not wavy. When the fabric is rolled on the bolt, it makes the straight of grain of the fabric warp.  So I try to straighten to eliminate that stretching that happens when it's rolled on the bolt. That may help you eliminate your little "elbows."   When I'm all finished,  I roll my yardage on a 6 x 24 ruler, slide it off, fold it in half and store it or cut it depending on what I plan to do. Hope this is clear and it helps.  If not, let me know.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use