Help me with insurance claim process

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,935
zoetc49 Posted: Wed, Jul 30 2014 6:09 PM

I am happy to learn I will be able to get a new roof from the storm that came. I don't understand somethings and I wonder if anyone else has some things that can help me with this situation. If I find the people to do the work or if I did it myself, would I just summit the material cost and they will still send me the same money??

Would it be best to just go with someone that can handle the whole process and they make money? There are only a few things I can do this time.

What have you done?

The storm did other damage, not just to my roof.

Thanks for your input.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:25 PM

I'm not positive but I think you get estimates for the roof replacement and any other damage the storm did then send it to the insurance agent.  YOu may need pictures of the damaged areas also.   Do you have a agent to call?

Joyce

from Maryland

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 911
Points 17,230

I think you need to ask your agent how the insurance company deals with the claims. It's possible that different insurance companies don't all do the claims the same way.  If you have a roofing contractor do it, make sure he gives you proof of his own insurance, for injuries to his workers and damages to your property caused by them. Also ask for a written guarantee for the work. I think you're better off hiring someone else to do your roof. There's a whole lot involved!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 3,255
Carmel replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 3:38 AM

I was an insurance agent for fifty years.  You must call your insurance company or agent to report the claim. They will send out an adjuster to estimate the damage and they will either refer a roofing contractor to you or they may ask you to call your roofing contractor if you have one.  They contractor must be licensed in the state and must have insurance.  Before the work is done have the contractor supply you with a certificate of insurance showing Liability and Workers Compensation coverage and a written guarantee for the job that he performs. Once you have a written estimate for the work, the insurance company will then make payment to you less you deductible.

I hope this helps. I was licensed in several different states and most of them operate the same way regarding claims. Never have the work done before calling the insurance company, they want to see the damage and determine what caused the damage, if it is wear and tear over the years this would not be covered.

Lansdale, PA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,935
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 7:28 AM

Thanks Carmel, as well as all others. 

Yes, I called the insurance company right away and they did send out the adjuster, he pointed out to me all the hail damage that happened. The Insurance company told me what they will pay for and that they do have a preferred list of contractors I can use, but I don't have to. I think I will set down and write up on a separate paper all what is being covered and all that needs to be done without the cost estimates, then call around to get quotes from at least 3 companies for each repair work. I am concerned that by going with the "preferred list" that these people might charge full cost when it might not call for that. Some work I can do like painting, but most I can't do. If I can save any of the money, I would like to use it to get a new fence. If there is no savings, then going with the "prefered list" might be the best route.      

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 911
Points 17,230

zoetc49:
I am concerned that by going with the "preferred list" that these people might charge full cost when it might not call for that.

If the insurance company is paying for it, it shouldn't matter what they charge. Your deductible won't change. Also, if you used their preferred list, then the insurance company will back you up if there are any problems with the work.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,935
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:06 PM

I agree, but they are also sending me the money, so if I got it done cheaper or did some of the work myself, then I get to keep that money.  I will look at this next week. Thanks 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,935
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:22 AM

Will, I am wanting to upgrade the roof. I had one guy so far quote me a price of $70.00 more per a bundle which is crazy since they are only $8.00 more. I am going to take my time and get many more quotes. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use