Top 10 Posters

Best machine under $1500?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 125
got2ryd posted on Wed, Jul 30 2014 12:25 PM

Hi there, brand new to sewing and after completing a baby quilt, I decided to jump right in to making a king.  Yeah, well I didn't realize my little hand-me-down machine wouldn't  be able to finish.  I'm now leaning toward buying a different machine that can handle bigger quilts.  I do not care to hand quilt, nor do I want to piece it together as I go.  May I have suggestions please on machines?  I know it is somewhat of a personal preference, but I've also read reviews on machines that have tension and bobbin problems.  I'd like to stay away from machines that have had multiple issues, obviously.  Thanks!

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

You will get lots of different reviews.  I suggest your machine have at least a 10" throat. Try out a variety of machines. The best advice I can give you is to buy from a good dealer who will provide hands on training on your machine and will stand behind the product. Explain to the dealer what you will be using the machine for. 

I love my Viking Sapphire which cost just under $1500. I've had it for three years. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
909 Posts
Points 15,095

Judy is right I love my machine but the throat is too small. I was looking at a pfaff but it's just under $3. I wanted to stick with Brother but I can't afford $7k. I'll have to check out the Viking. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,226 Posts
Points 18,945

I also have a Viking Sapphire,it is a very nice machine. I use it a lot to do applique. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
608 Posts
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:36 PM

Judy I'm with you I also have a Viking Sapphire and I really like it.  I've only had it a couple years also and only sewing on it for about a year.  I took classes and would like to take more.  My friend has one also and really likes it.  It has the longer throat and does lots of stitches etc.  Good hunting.  One thing I would like to have a even longer throat not for quilting.  

Joyce 

from Maryland

Top 50 Contributor
2,881 Posts
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jul 30 2014 11:28 PM

I'd get the one with the largest harp opening you can afford.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 200 Contributor
Female
306 Posts
Points 4,625

Hi got2ryd,

I have purchases several sewing machines.  I have a "professional" Janome with a pretty large throat and tons of fancy stitching.  My last purchase was a Singer 201 build in 1948 for $199.-.  She sews like a dream and more quiet than my DH's Bernina Patchwork edition ($1400,-) and she has a wider throat.   I love that machine. But she only sews forward, backward and right in one spot to make sure that my seam  doesn't  start to unrevel.  I'm now waiting for a Singer 66 build in 1919 to arrive.  I'm afraid that I've started to get addicted to those machines made with metal gears.   As long as they are oiled and cleaned they will last for ever.   The Singer 66 is a treadle machine.  I will share pictures as soon as she is here and set up.  If I had purchased the Singer 201 first, I would not have purchased the Janome for over $1400.-

Marianne

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 125

I have had a BabyLock Quilters Pro. I Love this machine..only a straight stitch, but a high speed straight stitch. Unfortunately, Babylock no longer offers this machine. But, the same machine can be found in the Brother PQ1500S or the Juki TL2000Qi. Both of these machines can be purchased thru Amazon. And they are both listed for less than $800. And it comes with the extension table. My best friend just purchased the Brother model thru Amazon and she is completely satisfied. Even though I have a number of different machines at my disposal....I always use this machine, it is a work horse.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,226 Posts
Points 18,945

I have a Juki 2010, it only does a straight stitch, I bought it for around $1000. It has a larger opening than my Sapphire, because of the height is much longer . I used it on my Gracie frame, the first time the auto cutter was cutting on its own. I cleaned around the cutter and the next time I used it, it didn't do that. I started using my Sapphire, it did limit the length of the quilt. Plus I do my applique on my Sapphire. And fancy stitching.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 6:21 PM

the only thing I don't lile about the sapphire is changing the needle.   my hands are too big to fit in and I struggle with it, well not any more, I gave it to my daughter so she can deal with it

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,842 Posts
Points 123,720

gini:
the only thing I don't lile about the sapphire is changing the needle. 

I'm with you Gini. It is awkward.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
608 Posts
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 9:27 PM

I thought it was just me having a difficult time with the needle on the Sapphire.  I feel like I'm using my feet. :)

Joyce 

from Md

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:22 PM

got2,  I liked my designer 1 so much I bought a second used one for a back up.  I don't recommend it for a king quilt, but if you find a machine you like, check out used machines in that model.   I got my used machine for 1/10th the price of the new one and it works just as good

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

I have a Janome 1600P-QC...it is not computerized and only does straight stitch....it is a great machine for FMQ....I bought it online at sewingmachinesplus.com for $999. I just finished a king size quilt and it was soooo much easier that using my smaller Brother. I love this machine and am contemplating buying another one just for piecing. It does not have the ability to drop the feed dogs so I have to change plates to do different types of sewing ...... the Juki TL 2010Q1 is a comparable machine and does allow for the feed to be dropped ...it's $1049...go look at the sewingmachineplus.com site!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 20

I just purchased a Size Confident Quilter machine. And boy was I surprise at how great it is.  I'm working on a queen size quilt and its coming out great. This machine is only about $400.00.  I purchased this machine just for quilting projects. I love it.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use