Top 10 Posters

Making a quilt bigger than the pattern?????

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
quiltersew70 posted on Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:53 AM

I am a novice quilter and recently purchased 2 kits to make a 44x66 in quilt that I want to make a queen size out of.  It is a solid colored log cabin .  How do I figure that one out?  Thanks so much and look forward to searching the message board.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
690 Posts
Points 11,855

What size it the pattern now? Knowing that and then knowing how large you want it, will help with your answer. How far do you want it to hang over? Do you plan to have a boarder and how wide?   

What I would do it take the pattern and enlarge it at Staples or another store to the right size that you will need. 

I am sure you will get more input from others on here. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,035 Posts
Points 369,017
Answered (Not Verified) Kris replied on Wed, Jul 30 2014 4:47 PM
Suggested by zoetc49

I remember this formula by saying "divide what you want by what you have then multiply by 100." That will tell you what your percentage increase would be.

Whatever your block size, wether you want to increase or decrease the formula works. 

Eg: if you have 8 inch blocks and want 12 inch blocks you would divide 12/8 to get 1.5 multiply by 100 would give you 150. So you would increase by 150%

Increase your cutting dimensions by that amount.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,539 Posts
Points 416,934
gini replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:03 AM

Your two kits together will make a quilt 66 x 88.  A queen mattress is 60 by 80.   After your quilt is quilted, which shrinks the dimensions a bit, your quilt will just cover the top of your bed.  If it is a pattern that lends itself to borders, you can get more width and length by adding them.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,539 Posts
Points 416,934
gini replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:04 AM

Can you post a picture of one of the patterns?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,539 Posts
Points 416,934
gini replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:11 AM

Kris, she already has the kits.  Making her blocks bigger won't help.  She has a fixed amount of fabric.   Unless....

If you want to make your blocks bigger, you will have to buy more fabric.   That is easy with a log cabin.   You could find two complimentary colors, or four, enough to bring it to the size you want, by adding extra logs on the outside.  I wouldn't cut your fabric any different than the directions or you won't have enough.  And log cabins look good with borders.  You might gain enough width and length with them, without changing your blocks

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,539 Posts
Points 416,934
gini replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:15 AM

So, we need to know:  how big are your blocks?   How many blocks are you making?  how big do you want your finished quilt?  How far over your mattress do you want your quilt to drop?  6"?  12"? On the sides,  and do you want a pillow tuck?

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use