Top 10 Posters

newbie question!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40
bmosser posted on Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:55 AM

Hi! I just joined your site and I am very new to quilting. My question is about a baby blanket I'm working on for our newest addition.  I'm hand doing the whole thing as I'm on bed rest. I got it completely put together and am now wanting to quilt it. However in my haste I realized too late that I should have quilted it before I put the whole thing together. When I try to quilt it, the bottom bunches up. I really don't want to cut the whole edge off or seam rip it ( I have 4 kids 6 and under and am on partial bed rest with 7 weeks left). Would it be best to just quilt through two layers or suck it up and seam rip to smooth out the back? I sound lazy I know...I just know I won't get it done in time! ☺

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:48 PM

Hi b,  do you mean you have put the binding on before the quilting?   If so, then it would be best to take the binding off.  If it doesn't affect the pattern too much, you could cut it off with the rotary cutter, that would speed things up.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:50 PM

And welcome to the group,  I hope you figure out how to fix it before the baby gets here.  Congrats on the new addition

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40

I don't have binding so I did the layers and then sewed and turned right side out then did a blanket stitch. Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it ☺

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use