Marking dark fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:14 AM

I'm going to start Crabapple Hill Over the River and Through the Woods. I'll just make one of the panels for a winter wall hanging.

Instead of  light background fabric, I'm going to use a deep blue tone on tone fabric with white embroidery. 

I have a white marking pencil but this is a project that takes me awhile to complete and the marking has to withstand much handling. I did a test on a piece, handled it over and over for a couple days. The white pencil markings were barely legible. Frixion doesn't make a white erasable pen.

I'm thinking about using the Wash-Away Applique sheets. I used them on a project that had a white background and it seemed to wash away fine. But this is a deep blue and I'm a bit nervous about residue showing.

Any suggestions?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Hi, Judy!

Do you have enough of your dark fabric and wash away stabilzer to do a small test piece?  That would be the only suggestion I have for your situation.

Let me know how it works, or what solution you finally arrive at.  I have a similar embroidery piece I want to do on a dark gray fabric.  

Max in Topeka 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

Well, this is a bit strange. I just received an email from FW Media titled Marking dark fabric, same as this post. It went on to thank me for contacting New Track Customer Service and my inquiry has been received and they will respond to me as quickly as possible.

How odd. 

Has anyone else gotten something like this?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
298 Posts
Points 4,875

Now that is weird, Judy! Makes you wonder if something the tech team is working on tangled up the CS link and the forum messaging system. Well............. let us know what CS thinks you should do about the marking issue.... lol.

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 100 Contributor
Female
941 Posts
Points 15,975

The site has hit the twilight zone again?  

Dritz has a white temporary pen. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

Thanks Donna, I tried a Dritz Mark be Gone white pen. The local shop carries them. It wouldn't work. Took it back, they gave me another one, it didn't work either. I gave up.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

I'm not happy with the Wash Away Applique sheets. I took a small piece of dark scrap fabric. Ironed on a piece of the sheet. Sewed over it. Then washed it as instructed. The stuff came off everywhere except where there was stitching. That's not good.

So, back to the drawing board.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

I am going to LOSE my mind.  My fabric is so dark the pattern doesn't even show through on a light box. So, even if I were able to find a white marker, I can't trace it on. I may have to give up using the dark background, but before I do, I'm taking a piece down to the local shop next week to see what they might suggest.

I can't monkey with this any longer, have company arriving on Friday for the weekend and I have a pile of things to do.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

Happy dance, I found a product that works! Tucked away on my shelves is something called Transfer EZ. I don't know why I didn't remember this. I tried it, it works slicker than snot on a hot rock.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
298 Posts
Points 4,575

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:

Happy dance, I found a product that works! Tucked away on my shelves is something called Transfer EZ. I don't know why I didn't remember this. I tried it, it works slicker than snot on a hot rock.

Made me laugh!   I've spent the last three days cleaning up my sewing room, Mom gave me lots of her fabric. I found I keep buying black fabric and losing it in my stash, lol. Organized now.  MN Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,547 Posts
Points 417,049
gini replied on Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:30 PM

I use a product called saral for transferring on light and dark fabric

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,950 Posts
Points 125,525

Thanks Gini. I kind of like things that I don't have to worry about following the lines exactly. I haven't used Saral but the design I need to transfer is quite complex. So far the Transfer Ez I'm using is working well. In fact, I bought it in 2011 at the Leavenworth retreat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,055 Posts
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:47 PM

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:

Well, this is a bit strange. I just received an email from FW Media titled Marking dark fabric, same as this post. It went on to thank me for contacting New Track Customer Service and my inquiry has been received and they will respond to me as quickly as possible.

How odd. 

Has anyone else gotten something like this?

I got something similar when I wrote about the Guidelines for Quilting ruler.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,055 Posts
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:50 PM

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:

I like transfer eze a lot. I love that I can print on it (hate tracing and avoid it as much as I can). It comes in sheets and rolls. My LQS stocks it now after I told them about it.

I have "over the river" my background is a dark tan and I'll be stitching in olive green. I bought other fabrics too but my plans might change when I finally get around to it. Can't wait to see yours Judy.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,247 Posts
Points 19,500
weezee56 replied on Thu, Jul 24 2014 12:08 AM

I'm glad you found something that works.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use