Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 721
Points 14,105
Carol from Pittsburgh Posted: Fri, Jul 18 2014 11:55 AM

I want to get a new sewing chair and would appreciate some suggestions. I've been using the one I have since 1976. It squeaks so loudly now whenever I turn it and I can't get rid of the squeaks. I don't ever lean back while I'm sewing so the design of the chair back doesn't matter. What does everyone else use? Any pros and cons? Thanks!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 5:29 PM

Carol, 

You won't believe it, but I use a dining chair. It has an old fashioned "spring" seat and a straight back. I'd like to have one on wheels, but have yet to find one I can sew for hours  like I can in that chair. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,533
Points 47,530

I have two office chairs that I really like because the height can be adjusted for wherever I am sitting. I have two different machine cabinets and a table that I sit at as well as the computer so it is nice to be able to easily adjust them.  I got one at Ikea and the other at Staples on clearance.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 4,655

I bought a Koala chair which is adjustable like an office chair but I like it much better.  Most of the office chairs I looked at had arms and I didn't want that kind.  I like the Koala so much that I bought another one just like it for my office!!

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,875
Points 32,560
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 7:02 PM

Mine is an office chair on rollers that I can adjust the height to. The other one that I love, also on rollers and on a discount when I purchased the cabinet, is from a then QCA sponsor when I bought my Bertha sewing cabinet. The office chair was less expensive as I think we even got it on sale.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 4,655

Ok Roxana, forget about the chair!  I'm so jealous that your sewing room and chair are so organized and even color coordinated!  That looks awesome!  I only wish mine looked half that good.   :/  

Barbara

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,875
Points 32,560
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 9:18 PM

Thanks! Staging makes all the difference! :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 606
Points 9,655
Joyce replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 12:08 AM

Roxana I was thinking the same thing, wow that fabric is so organized and to be able to see what you have.  I put a pillow behind my back on my chair.  It is a office chair but isn't as comfortable as yours looks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,704
gini replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 12:53 AM

an office chair with 5 legs so it won't tip over

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

Roxana,

I like your chair, because it's blue.  My DH and I are also using office chairs.  You could open a fabric store.

Marianne

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 721
Points 14,105

Thanks, everyone! I love how you are all so helpful!

Stephanie, I know what you mean about wheels-- the chair I'm using doesn't have them. My new chair most definitely will. It looks like most everyone uses an office chair. And Roxana- yours is so pretty! I've often thought about getting those things to wrap the fabric on- now I'm thinking about them a bit more. Yours look great. Barbara, I looked at Koala chairs online. They come in a lot of colors and look comfortable. Right now those are at the top of my list of chairs to consider.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,528
Points 177,403
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:06 AM

Roxana, what is your fabric wrapped around and are those crates you store it in?  I literally quit quilting because my room is so disorganized and messy!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,875
Points 32,560
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:12 AM

Marie:

Roxana, what is your fabric wrapped around and are those crates you store it in?  I literally quit quilting because my room is so disorganized and messy!

The fabric is wrapped around boards from Fabric Organizers. Yes, I store them in milk crates. It has taken some time and I don't have everything organized but I'm doing a better job of knowing what I have and being able to find it.

Marianne, it looks like a lot more than it is since a good bit of it is just a fat quarter or half yard.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 180
Helen replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:18 AM

WOW!  What a great looking quilting room!  I love the chair and your fabric colors.  I have fabric in boxes that I have to look through.  What a great idea.  I'll have to start looking for milk crates.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 180
Helen replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:18 AM

WOW!  What a great looking quilting room!  I love the chair and your fabric colors.  I have fabric in boxes that I have to look through.  What a great idea.  I'll have to start looking for milk crates.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use