rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel posted on Thu, Jul 17 2014 1:47 PM

1. Hi I'm new to quilting  
  2. how do you cut a 23 7/8"wide strip. 
  3. Then cut it into 3.       23 7/8" squares.

1. Please help .Thanks 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
392 Posts
Points 5,265

Welcome to QCA, Chanel

You will need 2 yards (I would buy 2 1/8 yds to allow for straightening and fudging) of the fabric you are cutting your 23 7/8" squares from.  The average piece of quilting cotton is only 40-42" wide.  You will need to cut three strips at 23 7/8" wide, then cut each strip down to be square.  You will have leftovers for your stash.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:37 PM

Hi and thank you for answering is this a correct cut or do I need to cut it the other way 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

Chanel:

1. Hi I'm new to quilting  
  2. how do you cut a 23 7/8"wide strip. 
  3. Then cut it into 3.       23 7/8" squares.
  1. Please help .Thanks 

Chanel. One of the large 24" square rulers would help. But if you don't have one, use the markings on your cutting mat. 

Lay your fabric on the cutting mat so the bottom (folded) edge is even with a ruler line. Using a 24" quilters rule and rotary cutter, trim off the right edge so it is square.

Turn it around and lay it so the folded edge is again lined up and the squared off left edge is flush. Measure over 24" (if you laid it on the 0", this will be at 24") make your cut just inside (1/8").

You will now have a piece 23-7/8" by 42"

Turn it around and repeat the above instructions.

If this is confusing, (and I'm not the best at giving directions) a local quilt shop would be able to help you with the cutting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:40 PM

I cut the fabric going across the width then I cut off the shelves 

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:45 PM

Hi Judy thank you for your help I've never made a quilt using a pattern before and I m having the hardest time reading the pattern . 

I've posted a picture of the fabric with the ruler on it if clear can you please tell me if that's the correct way to lay it take another cut 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

Chanel:
I've posted a picture of the fabric with the ruler on it if clear can you please tell me if that's the correct way to lay it take another cut 

Chanel, your picture didn't come through. When you reply to this, you'll see a little green film strip. Click on that, click on "Choose File", find the picture from your computer and upload it. Does that make sense?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

Hold on Chanel, I'm taking some pictures now, will post in a bit.

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:57 PM

I'm i supposed to be worrying about the height of the cut or just the cross cut measuring 23 7/8"wide.  

Should I Unfold the fabric to get the 23 7/8" going the length way as well before I make any more cuts

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

OK, let's see if this helps. Keep in mind I didn't actually cut my fabric but hopefully this will help.

1. Lay fabric on cutting mat, lining up bottom edge and trip off right edge to square it up.

2. Turn it around, again lining up bottom edge and aligning the fabric on the left. Here I've lined it up on the 0"

3. Cut your piece to 23-7/8" (just under 24")

Now you have a piece 23-7/8" x 42 (approx). Yes, you'd open the fabric up, line it up on the mat and make another cut. I forgot to mention that in my first set of instructions (told you I wasn't good at directions! LOL)

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:11 PM

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:19 PM

Oh my gosh Judy thank you so much :-) for taking the time to lay it out for me and take pictures.  

That really means so much to me . I'm a very visual person and actually seeing the lay really made me understand how to cut it 

Thank you 

I've been a member of QCOA for a while now and I've never thought to sign in and ask for help

All this time I've been missing out on a great community :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

Chanel, glad to help. Hope to hear more from you and welcome to our little world.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 385
Chanel replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:25 PM

You will hear from me a lot more and I will post a picture of the finished quilt . 

Thanks again Judy :-)

Not Ranked
298 Posts
Points 4,875

I was just reading this forum... you're so kind, patient, and helpful, Judy! It was difficult to explain what Chanel was trying to do, and you were able to help her... great job!  :)

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use