Flannel vs cotton vs fleece backing?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 270
Katie posted on Mon, Jul 14 2014 8:46 PM

Help! The quilts I'm making for my family and best friend will definitely have a lot lot lot of heavy use so I had a question before I decided.  For my little sister's, I bought dark purple flannel for the backing and have yet to quilt it. I know that people make whole quilts out of flannel so it's probably okay to use on the back of one. I've come to selecting the backing for my Grandmother and best friend and am torn between cotton, flannel, and fleece. I don't really WANT to use fleece but it was something I was curious about. I am leaning toward flannel because it is heavier and cozier to use as a blanket, these most definitely won't be on display. What do you guys think? Thanks a ton!!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,909
gini replied on Mon, Jul 14 2014 8:52 PM

Flannel is soft cozy and warm.   I haven't quilted fleece, it should work fine.  I've quilted a minke backed quilt and it was wonderful

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
555 Posts
Points 8,770
Joyce replied on Mon, Jul 14 2014 9:06 PM

Hi Katie I have used flannel to back quilts when I want them to be warmer.  My DGS loves his and takes it everywhere he goes.  Summer and winter.  I think it is too hot for summer.  If anyone is hot blooded then I use cotton for the backing.  Not sure I would like fleece.  Wonder how it would hold up and also be really hot.

Joyce

Maryland

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use