Top 10 Posters

Batting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 70
Victoria posted on Mon, Jul 14 2014 8:55 AM

I am trying to figure out an appropriate batting.

I am placing it between 2 pieces of faux fur for a dog blanket.

I want the batting to add a bit of  "padding".

It's fine if the batting adds a little bit of warmth.

I am mostly looking for padding.

I am confused looking through available products.  Hi Loft, Low loft, cotton, poly.....

Does any one have any information or advice? 

Thank you!!!

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 8,520
Suggested by Patti S

I would go with the highest loft possible...maybe a Quilters Dream cotton in Supreme...it is their thickest...1/2 cotton per sq. yd. .

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jul 14 2014 9:50 AM

hi Victoria, welcome to the group

I would use a hi loft poly and depending on how much poof you want  and how much quilting is going on, you can double or triple batt it.  I would go with poly because it will dry much quicker if you are using multiple layers.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 4,605

Hi Victoria, I have medium sized dogs (50#) and of course, dog beds. I agree with gini, and would use only polyester batting for dog beds... need to be able to wash and dry quickly, poly does not collect odor as much, and retains "poofiness" and softness with a good shake and wash. Cotton retains odors and mats down quickly with heavier dogs lying on it. Several layers of high loft poly would give you lots of cushioning. You could make a zippered (or hook&loop tape) cover that easily removes for washing. In that instance I would enclose the poly batting inside a separate cushion cover, could use leftover cotton or muslin, and you could hand-tie that cushion to keep the poly from shifting too much. Good luck with your project!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 70

Thank you for the replies!

It's the high loft for me!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Victoria,

Whatever I make for my fur babies I fill with poly, because the beds and toys get washed at least once a week  to keep pesky little critters from hatching and to keep the doggy odor away. 

What kind of dog owns you?

Marianne

Top 100 Contributor
Female
777 Posts
Points 12,580

I am hoping Roxana posts an tutorial regarding what kind of Batting to use for what on the A Quilting Resource group thread.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,829 Posts
Points 31,795
Roxana replied on Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:55 PM

Check out the post in A Quilter's Resource Group. If you are not a member, join!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use