Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 270
Katie Posted: Fri, Jul 11 2014 11:33 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Katie, I'm sixteen (seventeen in two weeks!), and I'm a new quilter. Hopefully you all will have patience with me as I'm sure I'll ask a lot of questions haha.  Right now I've finished one original quilt top but not quilted/finished the sandwich thingy, and am working on one bowtie quilt and another "modern nine-patch" pattern  I saw on a tv show.  I'm so excited to become more involved in a community of quilters! (:

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 11:51 PM

Welcome Katie.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 895
Points 16,970

Welcome, Katie!  We'll be watching for photos of your quilts.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Welcome to QCA Katie. You will find lots of information here. How did you get into quilting? I embroidered some blocks and my mom made a quilt from them for my first child, he just turned 30. I don't know if my mom had ever made a quilt before but I know she never made a quilt after. I didn't touch another quilt until my first grandchild was on the way, six years ago. I didn't have quilters in the family to inspire me, I just wanted to make a quilt for my grandson. I have been quilting ever since and love it. QCA has been a great inspiration and you will find the quilters here ready to help you in any way they can. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 3,435
hhhdmh replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 5:32 AM

Welcome Katie, It is nice to see someone from the younger set get into quilting. Ask away with your questions. There are many wonderful talented ladies on this group that are more than willing to answer any and all questions. Again, welcome to the group and I hope you will still be quilting when you retire.

God Bless

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 10:08 AM

hi Katie, welcome to the group.  i started quilting when i was about your age.  you will find lots of help here

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 10:30 AM

Welcome Katie.  It is so nice to see a younger person get into quilting.  Have  fun and drop in to chat anytime.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 10:47 AM

Katie, I echo all the other comments you have received welcoming you to the site. You'll find LOADS of patient, willing quilters wanting to answer any question you may have. Don't think any question is too stupid or simple. We have all been there and quite frankly some of us have the same questions you may have, we just may not know how to ask them. This site has the best group of friends out there to help in any way.

Let us know your questions, and, yes, we want to see photos!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 938
Points 15,900

Well hello Katie.  You'll have a blast at this site.  Great people on here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 4,855

"....but not quilted/finished the sandwich thingy...."

Love it! Katie, you're doing great... using very specific descriptives of the quilt parts that you're working on! I use "thingy" a lot! LOL. Wish now that I had started quilting at your age! Welcome, and hope to see some of your projects when finished! 

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 6:41 PM

Right glad to have ya here , Katie!!! Please join us in our discussions and pictures!!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 5,150

Welcome, Katie

You sound like you are learning the terms in quilt making quickly.  I think it is great that you are diving into projects.  We were all beginners once.  You will find so many here that are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with you.  Don't be shy about asking.  Looking forward to pics.

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 8:39 AM

Welcome Katie, it's so nice to have you join us.  I have a seventeen year old granddaughter and have been trying to get her interested in this wonderful craft for years with no luck so far.  Maybe you might give me a hint as to how to get her interested?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 270
Katie replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:56 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Pat- I got into quilting because I was looking for memorable gift ideas for my family members for Christmas on Pinterest and it just seemed so easy. I've grown up on a sewing machine making various little stuff. Now I know it's not as simple as I first thought, but I love it far too much to quit now, haha! 

Springer- Hahaha!! I know, I was sure you seasoned quilters would know exactly which "thingy" I was referring to. (; 

Marie- Honestly, I don't know, sorry! Everyone's different. I've always loved my sewing machine whether making doll clothes or costumes so it wasn't as scary a step for me to move to bigger projects. I'll be hoping with you that she jumps on board!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,914
Points 124,880

Hi Katie. Like others have said, it is so exciting to know there are younger quilters to follow us "oldies". Welcome to QCA. My granddaughter who just turned 21 also quilts, when she has time between her veterinary classes, and has made three quilts so far.

Good to have you with us.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use