Creating a quilting room in a garage

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
sandyk0124@aol.com Posted: Fri, Jul 11 2014 1:28 AM

I am majorly downsizing and losing my good size bedroom/quilting room-complete with design wall.

I am going to take 1/2 of a 2 car garage and making it a sewing room for my quilt making. The garage is a standard garage. I will use the other half for all our storage needs. I can't secure the roll up doors since I am thinking we will still use it for going in and out occasionally.

I am thinking of putting down some sort of carpet for my little area. I have plenty of cabinets/shelves/plastic boxes for the material.. as well as TV, lamps, floor heater, fans, sewing tables - etc.

The "garage" will get a thorough cleaning before I set it up...Has anyone ever done this? We live in San Diego, CA  so weather is not a huge factor.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 732
Points 14,195

Welcome to QCA, Sandy!  And good luck in your new sewing room!  My only suggestion is that you make sure you have good lighting. I converted my basement family room to a sewing room so I have lots of space but the lighting is terrible! I have to use a couple Ott floor lamps and the overhead lights on my longarm to be able to see what I'm doing. Someday I'll get more / better ceiling lights put in. It might be nice to be able to open the garage door while you're working in there. It'll be like sewing outdoors!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 180
Helen replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 8:35 PM

Please share the before and after photos of your journey.  I may have to do the same thing.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

I will.  This should be interesting.  

We are fairly certain I won't have a problem with rodents... but spiders may be an issue.  I just realized that as I saw a spider in my closet as I was packing up yet more craft things shoved in a corner!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

I will.  This should be interesting.  

We are fairly certain I won't have a problem with rodents... but spiders may be an issue.  I just realized that as I saw a spider in my closet as I was packing up yet more craft things shoved in a corner!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

Lights have always been a huge issue for my old eyes!   Luckily I noticed a "work bench" hanging light over  the "work table" with will most likely be a good place put the things I need good light seeing: maybe a cutting board, a place for thread / rulers....

First I just have to see how smooth that table is....  I already know I will be scrubbing it down!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 3:45 AM

Sandy,

Sounds like a great plan. The garage will offer a lot of space for you.It sounds like you have all the things you need with cabinets and storage. It'll be your own little oasis. 

You can always use a bug bomb before you get started to purge and spiders, etc. I think my biggest concern would be humidity. I live in Florida, though. Before I put my garage under a/c I had some boxes of books that mildewed in the garage from the humidity. This may not be a factor for you. And you could always buy a dehumidifier, or one of those a/c units that vents with a hose instead of having to be mounted.

Look forward to seeing pic's of your progress....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 29,655
Agnes replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 8:19 AM

Lighting has been mentioned. I have found that to make the the biggest improvement and easiest solution in lighting is change any bulbs to daylight. Different companies use different terminology. I have a box right now that are 5000 lumen. The higher the number the brighter, whiter the light it casts. When I moved into this apartment most of the bulbs, though CFLs, had a distinct yellow glow. Not anymore and everything is so much brighter. If that doesn't give you the amount of light you need replace some of the ceiling fixtures with 4 foot florescent units and the daylight bulbs. You'll always think it is daylight.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,881
Points 32,620
Roxana replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 11:09 AM

Agnes, I have changed to daylight bulbs too and I find it most helpful. I also have several lamp stands that I have been able to find when they are on sale that give off daylight that I found helpful.

A cute link to some sewing room suggestions is on Erica's Blog.

On the spiders, I agree about "bombing" it before you move in. Then my pest control man puts down these little traps by the outside doors that seem to catch quite a few spiders as well. You can get them at the Hardware store (I think).

Humidity would be a problem in Arkansas if the garage is not air conditioned in the remodel process so think about that.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 29,655
Agnes replied on Mon, Jul 21 2014 7:52 AM

Reading Erica's tips that Roxana linked to I have another suggestion. My design wall is a flannel backed tablecloth. I spray the flannel lightly with spray basting and that keeps the blocks from falling down. It will not stretch like batting will after a while. 

I keep my projects and fabrics in clear Rubbermaid bins. Lids on keeps them dust proof. 

Sandy--How nice to  have it all in one space. I live in a small apartment and I am using zones in my two main rooms. Even when I had a sewing room I would divide it into zones. It's amazing how little space I need because I always clean up and put unused things back in place. No matter how you set it up organization is the key.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,835
Points 40,060
ls2116 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2014 10:49 AM

I'm still hoping for a larger sewing room like a family room or dining room its on the some day list.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

My husband made my design wall from 2 pieces of sound board that I covered with flannel.  It is the only thing that I have a set place for!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use