I want to show of my Singer 201-2

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240
Marianne Nowicki posted on Thu, Jul 10 2014 5:10 AM

My Singer was "born" in 1948, she's 5 years younger than I am and she sews like a sewing machine should.  she has been cleaned and oiled and she looks good to me.  I finished a pillow case on her and she didn't balk at the several layers of material when I made the French seam over the piping and the sleeve.  I had looked at a Featherweight, but the bobbin placement is a bit to difficult for me to manage exchanging bobbins etc with my left hand. 

My singer 201 has the bobbin case on top and that's easier for me.   The singer 201 came with an instruction booklet and when I opened it, I saw the name Rose Loveless written inside on the first page.  I'm guessing that she was owned by a Rose, before she came to Marianne?  Look at her pretty face :-)

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Thank you Chris

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Gini, thank you very much.  Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Nana, how many models do you have?  I started to buy sewing machines after my Singer Athena passed away.  The 43 machine comes close.  Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

thanks Kris

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

thanks gini

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Nana, you're way ahead of me.  This is my first one and there are so many to chose from.  Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Pat , I envy you the feather weights, but I just can't work them.  I have tunnel vision and my left hand doesn't function well anymore.  I might look for another machine that has the bobbin on top.  My next project is going to make a cover for my new machine.  I wouldn't mind having a treadle machine.

My machine sold either as a treadle machine or one with a motor build in and a knee lever.   She operates now with a new foot control.  I'm actually happy with that purchase.  Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

thanks Deb.  :~)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Weezee, she came naked, no box or cover.  My DH is going to install her in my old Singer cabinet, the one that came with my Singer Athena 2000.   The Athena folded down, but the 201 is a bit to havy?  She can sit on top and I make her a cover with a Singer machine on the front, or one that looks like one.  Marianne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,250 Posts
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 9:10 AM

Marianne, We try to buy only made in america and I support kickstarter for Americans that are trying hard to get their ideas done.  it is harder and harder... I am still helping out my son and DIL as much as I can - at the moment I am making my DGD's clothes to start school next year - thank goodness she is a girlie girl... I am thinking about making her some jeans out of my DH's worn out ones... this idea came to me the other day... Her favorite color is Pink - one that I don't like all that much because it was shoved on me as a little girl... but have all this pink material just for her.  

We are lucky that we had a savings account to use - although it is getting very small now that the time keeps dragging on but we are trying to hold out to get all the work done on the house and yard... DH said the other day he should have kept up with all this over the years but we never thought we would put this house up for sale... Now I just want it done so we can move and get where our family will be together... My DGD's birthday is today and I am not there this year... it is making me sad today but I will facetime with her shortly... need to get my butt up and moving to the shower - my visiting teacher is taking me to lunch today... I haven't felt like moving today - storms again in our area and they set my RA on edge... no fun... but it is old news for me and I know that I will have much better days this summer with the wonderful heat warming up my bones and joints.

Enjoy that machine of yours - it is pretty... I love mine although right now it is already in MN in the storage unit - but when we get our new home up there it will have a special spot ...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 4:30 PM

Marianne Nowicki:

Nana, how many models do you have?  I started to buy sewing machines after my Singer Athena passed away.  The 43 machine comes close.  Marianne

Marianne

I have a 66, 99, 15, 301, 401, featherweight, Necchi, sewmoor, Morse, White rotary, kenmore, 2 badged machines that are based on the model 99, 2 Singer treadles, a Franklin Treadle, and a New Home Treadle , and a New Home rotary.   Love them all.   And I may have forgotten a couple.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,275 Posts
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 8:50 AM

Marianne, it is beautiful!

Nana,  Thanks to you I have my one and only.  I'm not looking right now but will be in the market for a 1903 and a 1937 but my budget can't afford much.  One of the girls husbands had a 1937 he was holding for me but I couldn't follow through, just couldn't manage to get that money together.   How many do you have now?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,275 Posts
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 8:55 AM

OOPS, should've read further!  

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Nana, you got a lot of sewing machines.  WOW!  My DH and I own 5 sewing machines.  The Singer 201, built in 1948 sews quieter than the Bernina made in Asia and I paid less than a fourth for the Singer.  I love my new machine.  Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
208 Posts
Points 3,240

Marie,

I have two plastic Singer, one Janome plastic and one  older Husqana  designer one.  I purchased that because it's  made in Sweden.  I'm not using it at all.  My DH sews on a Bernina made in Asia and I got the 1948 Singer 201.  I got her for under $ 200.- and she sews more quiet than the $1400,- Asian Bernina.  The Singer 201 came freshly overhauled, repaired, polished and with it's original handbook, Singer oil and extra feet.  The quarter inch foot from the plastic Singer made in China fits the old gal.  :~)  I'm happy with my purchase.

We purchased those machines years apart.  Marianne

Page 2 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use