I want to show of my Singer 201-2

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
284 Posts
Points 4,325
Marianne Nowicki posted on Thu, Jul 10 2014 5:10 AM

My Singer was "born" in 1948, she's 5 years younger than I am and she sews like a sewing machine should.  she has been cleaned and oiled and she looks good to me.  I finished a pillow case on her and she didn't balk at the several layers of material when I made the French seam over the piping and the sleeve.  I had looked at a Featherweight, but the bobbin placement is a bit to difficult for me to manage exchanging bobbins etc with my left hand. 

My singer 201 has the bobbin case on top and that's easier for me.   The singer 201 came with an instruction booklet and when I opened it, I saw the name Rose Loveless written inside on the first page.  I'm guessing that she was owned by a Rose, before she came to Marianne?  Look at her pretty face :-)

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,585 Posts
Points 51,795
Ginny replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 6:16 AM

Love your Singer.  She shows little wear.  What a gem, Marianne.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,577 Posts
Points 246,557
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 7:23 AM

Very nice Marianne, I have a singer made in 1954.  My Dad worked at the Singer factory in Buffal, NY and bought it for my Mom when she gave him me - his first and only daughter.  I love having it as it has special meaning to me.  I have never been interested in a featherweight but recently became interested in getting  a treadle machine.  I was told several were for sale in our area and was saddened that right now with DH still out of work and our trying to move to MN that I don't have that money in my do what I want account...

I really do like your pretty machine - and she is very pretty.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,585 Posts
Points 26,580
Debbie replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 9:00 AM

very nice, Marianne.  

I bought one from eBay last year for my 60th birthday, she's a 1953 and one of the gal's, on QCA, husband works on them, refurbishing.  He did some repair and told me I got a great little machine.  one of the nicest he had seen.  I too, made some pillowcases with her and she really does sew like a dream.  have three other machines but have set them aside and primarily use her (but haven't done any sewing for a few months, also because of health issues)  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

What a great machine Marianne. She looks beautiful.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,963 Posts
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:10 AM

Beautiful machine Marianne. Thanks for sharing her with us.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,479 Posts
Points 417,064
gini replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:46 AM

beautiful machine

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 3:26 PM

Marianne

Beautiful 201.  That is a model that I don't have yet.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 47,640

Marianne, she is beautiful. It is so nice that you actually use her and she is not just an ornament. I have two Featherweights, one black and one white/green. She looks white to me but "the experts" say she is pale green. Anyway I just finished piecing a baby quilt on the black one. I haven't had the time to clean and service the white one yet, but will sew on her as soon as I do. I think these old machines are so pretty and they sew pretty too! I would like a treadle if I ever run across one I can afford. I don't need it, but it is harmless fun for an old woman, roflol!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
227 Posts
Points 3,645
Deb replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 4:37 PM

Marianne , she's a beauty!! So happy for you!!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 18,405

Marianne, She looks beautiful. Did she come in a cabinet?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
284 Posts
Points 4,325

Thank you very much Ginny.  I have only found a bit of paint missing on the light bulb case and one small place where the paint chipped on the body of the machine.  The first owner must have taken good care of her.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
284 Posts
Points 4,325

Thea,

I'm sorry to read that your DH is out of work, just like so may folks, because so many jobs went to other nations.  We started to purchase made in America when G.W. Bush gave us incentive money to jump start the American economy.   I took us a while, but we spent every cent on made in America merchandise.    My do what I want account was empty for  all the years we were helping our children to get a college degree.  Money  can be spent only once.  Now the kids are all grown up, we're retired and now I have  a do what I want account.  I wish you all the best with your planned move and finding jobs and a treadle machine. 

Mairanne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
284 Posts
Points 4,325

Debbie,

I was looking at a 1953 machine here in the Tallahassee area, but that machine had not been serviced and had no extra feet.  I was looking for one made in 1943, but I couldn't find any, so I bought the 1948 one.  I'm sorry to read that you have health issues.  I wish you a speedy recovery. 

I started to do patchwork last year, because of a bad surgery I had in 2012.  They scraped around previous radiated tissue and that just didn't want to heal.  I ended up having 3 surgeries, whole body infection and nerve pain.  Concentrating on getting my seams to match helps to lessen the nerve pain.  

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
284 Posts
Points 4,325

thanks Spudgrandma

Page 1 of 5 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use