Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620
Judy Taylor-Bellingham Posted: Wed, Jul 9 2014 7:03 PM

I got this not so brilliant idea. I'm embroidering the Vintage Tin pattern. On the block of my grandparents homestead I felt there wasn't enough contrast. So,  I decided to shade with a taupe crayon, just a wee bit, to set off the design. I got carried away and did more than a wee bit.

Major mistake. It looked horrible. I have most of the embroidery done in this big project, so I was more than a little sick. I figured I'd finish it but no one would ever see it. (not even you dear people)

On a whim, I Googled removing crayon from fabric and got to the crayola website where it said to use dish washing detergent, rub gently into the fabric, rinse. I used Dawn full strength and it WORKED! All the crayon is gone. The pieces are now air drying on towel rack.

I am such a happy person tonight.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 543
Points 8,545
Joyce replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 7:13 PM

That is good to know and how great it came off your fabric.  Looking forward to seeing a photo of the quilt.

Joyce

Maryland

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 7:46 PM

Judy I'm happy there's a happy ending to your tale.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 253
Points 4,200

Your heart must have sunk to your toes after putting so much work into the hand embroidery! Glad it came out Judy!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,251
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 8:26 PM

Judy--Glad you found the answer for your boo-boo.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,733
Points 30,040
Roxana replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 8:54 PM

Judy, I love the ending to a happy story. Thanks for sharing the tip! I wish I had been able to google when my children did that! LOL! No computers then!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,799
gini replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 9:19 PM

good to know judy.   had you ironed it first?   I have made several Crayola quilts and I hope the images haven't washed off.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620

gini:

good to know judy.   had you ironed it first?   I have made several Crayola quilts and I hope the images haven't washed off.

I had ironed one section, over a paper bag, in the hopes it would improve it. After cleaning it, I can still see a hint of color in that section and may clean it again. But it just looks like a bit of tea staining on the dirt road. Since this is vintage, perhaps that's not too bad. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,243
Points 239,777
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 9:57 PM

Judy, That is awesome!  I am so happy for you!  I recommended the color catchers to a friend but you had to keep washing the quilt without drying but it did work too!

Happy dance for Judy!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use