rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 50
Sandra bryan posted on Tue, Jul 8 2014 7:42 PM

Hello.  

I am making a sweet sue quilt for my daughter for Christmas. I'm using pale yellow blocks and white blocks and the white ones will have sweet sue on them. I would like to quilt the layers first with maybe 1 1/2  inch wide hatch quilting  and then hand appliqué sweet sue afterwards.  I've seen a picture of a quilt like this and like the look of it.

My question is....  Is this the right way to go about this.  I'm afraid I won't be able to appliqué on top of the quilting.

thank you sandy

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Tue, Jul 8 2014 9:22 PM

There is no right or wrong way. I have done it both ways but can't say that I found one harder than the other. In fact for one I cross hatched by machine and then hand appliqued. Sure beats all those stops and starts that you are dealing with when cross hatching afterwards.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,341 Posts
Points 414,694
gini replied on Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:26 PM

the less bulk you have to hold in your hand the easier it is.  I just added some applique to an already pieced wall hanging.  not impossible, but my hand got really  tired.  I would hate to do an entire quilt that way

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 1,100

I just posted a picture in have you worked on a quilt today of my iris, which I cross hatched first. But I machine appliquéd the iris on it. I agree with Gini, it might be bulky to hand appliqué.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:36 AM

I don't mind doing machine applique on an already quilted quilt but find it too bulky to do hand applique.  If I want to hand applique I do the applique on the block before piecing the quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 50

Thanks Agnes for yr reply. I'm going to try appliquéing after I've done the quilting . I hope it turns out for me.

sandy florida USAUSA 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 50

I would think it would be bulky too and maneuvering a big quilt around. I've never done a quilt with hand appliqué after , or at all, and would like to see if I prefer this method. 

Thanks. Sandy in Florida USA

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 50

Didn't think about my hand getting tired. That would bother me. And I have 20 blocks to do!

Top 500 Contributor
116 Posts
Points 3,235

Hi Sandra!

This is the QCA Admin, Rachel. I posted your question on QCA's Facebook page, and it has gotten a lot of great responses! Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/QuiltersClubofAmerica/posts/10152192385135671

Best,

QCA Rachel

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use