Top 10 Posters

Free motion quilting classes in Midwest

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
NanceH posted on Sat, Jul 5 2014 8:56 AM

I'm looking for a hands-on free motion quilting class in the Midwest.   I'd like to learn and have had little success trying on my own.    Any recommendations  for quilt shops that hold classes?   I could just start calling, but would save time if I could narrow it down some.   Thanks

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370

NanceH, 

Just saw your question on free-motion. Do you have a long arm or mid arm? Or are you using your domestic machine? When I started out on my long arm, I used a white board to practice a pattern that I might like. I also for the first few quilts, had just 2 pieces of material tht were pretty plain with my usual batting, and played around with all types of patterns I might like, swirls, loops, stars, meanderings, etc until I found a pattern I enjoyed sewing. Then those quilts went to granddaughter for her dolls. That pattern was my first few quilts after that, so I could comfortable with it. After that I would add a new pattern each new quilt until now I have quite a few that I enjoy doing. I still always go back to my white board to practice first and take lots of pictures of quilt patterns I might like in books, magazines, pictures, even patterns I see in nature!  After you start it gets addicting!  I also got a few of the online instructors classes, With Craftsy to see a few instructors that I liked their style before I paid a lot for a class. Just a few ideas! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
NanceH replied on Sat, Jul 5 2014 10:53 AM

Planned on using my domestic machine - Brother Innovis with an 8inch throat.      My biggest difficulty on my practice pieces is to control the stitch length.  Was hoping to get some pointers.  I have one online Craftsy class, but it didn't help me out with this problem.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370

The Craftsy class I did was with Angela Walters. She does both domestic and long arm. I have a stitch regulator on the long arm and someone was telling me, I think Sue, here on QCA that some domestic machines  have an attachment for a stitch regulator. There are also quite a few here on the site that use their domestic machines to quilt with. I piece with a FW and a 301, neither have a throat large enough for it. I was taking my quilts to the quilt store and renting theirs for my first ones. You will love this site. Lots of info from the ladies here. I have been to a few of the quilt retreats and met quite a few. So helpful. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 5 2014 12:46 PM

If the problem is trouble maintaining stitch length the best remedy is just lots of practice.  Make small practice sandwiches and do your free motion quilting on them.   The more you do the easier it gets to keep your stitch length more even.   It does take some time to get your movement of the quilt and the speed of the machine working together.  Just play and have fun.  You will get better with each practice.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:07 AM

I agree with nana.  all you need is practice.  find an old quilt top at a yard sale, sandwich it up, and go for it.  practice different stitches. when you are done you will have a nice picnic blanket and I bet you will have control over those pesky stitches

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,836 Posts
Points 248,869

TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND TRY ALLKINDS OF Patterns  Leah day on CrAFSTY is how I learned She also hAS LOTS OF HELPFUL CLIPS ON HER WEB SITE AND YOU TUBE.

GOOD LUCK bARBAR ....DON'T EXPECT YOU STITCHES TO BE PERFECT ,THAT COMES WITH PRACTICE

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
NanceH replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Guess I'll be getting as much practice in having patience as I will be in practicing to make even stitches!    

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use