Question about finishing a flannel quilt top

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Fish Posted: Wed, Jul 2 2014 1:24 PM

I am making a flannel quilt.  I was wondering what type of material I should use for backing- quilter's cotton or flannel? I was also wondering about what type of batting to use.  I usually use Warm & Natural.  I would appreciate advice from anyone having experience with flannel. 

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 2:45 PM

hi fish welcome to the group.   you can use any combos you want of cotton and flannel.  you can batt or not batt.  you need to decide how you want your quilt.  if you want it heavier and warmer, use flannel on the back and a batt.  lighter?  no batt and cotton back.  I have mixed cotton flannel and minke on the front of quilts.   I have used just flannel and cotton or minke and cotton with no batt.  I have double batted flannel quilts to make them even warmer.  there aren't any rules about how to finish your quilt.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 3:45 PM

Fish

I have used the combinations of flannel with batting and flannel back as well as no batting.  I have also used flannel backings on cotton tops and vice versa.   There really aren't any "rules" as to which to use.  Just have fun and make your quilt to suit you.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,515

Nana? It's really you darlin'!  So good to see you again. Well, I do "see" you on the other forum, but glad to see you back here also.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

fish, I would echo what the others have said. I did want to say Hi and welcome, it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:41 PM

Thanks Judy.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 8:59 PM

Fish, I ditto what everyone has said.  Welcome to QCA!

Nana, Your back ! Im glad to see you on here again. Imiss all you old timers.   Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Fish replied on Thu, Jul 3 2014 9:30 AM

Thank you for your advice and gracious welcomes.  I have not worked with flannel before and I appreciate all of your responses. 

Happy Quilting!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 288
Points 4,705

Fish, welcome! The only thing I might add to the comments is that you might want to prewash and dryer dry the flannel. I've found that it shrinks a lot.  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use