How do I paint on fabric?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 80
Vicki posted on Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:30 AM

I have an idea for a quilt which would entail painting on the fabric.  By painting, I actually mean using pencils?, crayons?, pencils?, pens?, markers?.  I have never done this and I don't know what products work the best.  I want to be able to do some shading so permanent markers probably won't work.  I have no idea what to use.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, Jul 3 2014 6:53 PM
Verified by Vicki

There are paints just for fabric.  You can get dry paint you mix. Wet paint used just like oils that you can blend and there are paint sticks.  Crayolabrand crayons work we'll.   the type of paint you would use depends on what you are doing,  how detailed you want.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 220

I attended a lecture and have a book for this very thing. Creating children's artwork quilts by Shannon Gingrich Shirley. It covers using all different kind of markers and crayons to recreate your children's artwork from years past. Might be worth checking out. Good luck

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,810

Vicki

I used to paint on fabric back in woodcraft days. I used acrylic craft paint you can find at Joanne's, Michaels or any craft store. There is an "extender" you can add to the paint to make it a bit thinner so it flows well onto the fabric. 

It works really great. My daughter has a quilted tree skirt that I made at least 15 years ago. I painted Christmas scenes in the center of each block. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,736 Posts
Points 30,145

I found a couple of YouTube videos on Fabric Painting that might help

Fabric Painting - How to paint a free hand Border Design

and

How to Paint on Fabric

I didn't have time to watch them to see if they would be helpful to you or not.

I'd also recommend looking at the INTERWEAVE site. It's got lots of helpful information on mixed media and quilting and most of it is free.

I hope this helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, Jul 3 2014 6:53 PM
Verified by Vicki

There are paints just for fabric.  You can get dry paint you mix. Wet paint used just like oils that you can blend and there are paint sticks.  Crayolabrand crayons work we'll.   the type of paint you would use depends on what you are doing,  how detailed you want.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
711 Posts
Points 11,175

I saw on quilting arts one of the designers used acrylic's but she watered them down in order to give them a shading effect.  Wish I remember which show number it was for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,810

Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam:
I saw on quilting arts one of the designers used acrylic's but she watered them down in order to give them a shading effect.  

Craft acrylics do need to be "watered" down but not with water. Use an extender which will give it freer flow, extended drying time and also helps the paint soak into the fabric without bleeding. Gini is right, there are paints especially for fabric. I've never used them as I always had dozens of bottles of acrylics and a few drops of extender turned them into fabric paint. But, if you don't already have the acrylic paints, you could simply buy the paint made especially for fabrics.

Have fun with it and practice on scraps first.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
711 Posts
Points 11,175

Thanks Judy I new she watered them down but I wasn't sure with what. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use