Hand quilting questions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850
Marge P posted on Sun, Jun 29 2014 11:16 AM

I am thinking of hand quilting a queen size quilt that is already layered and machine BASTED by a longarmer. What type of thread should I use?  I have always used the coated quilting thread many years ago and am wondering if King Tut, the long stapled Egyptian thread, would work just as well. 

Also being as the quilt is evenly basted, is it necessary to use a hoop?  I really don't do well with a hoop but just wondering. Also what size needle. Right now I wish this quilt was lap sized rather than a queen.

No longer able to use my longarm due to mobility issues so looks like hand quilting is my best option.  Will look forward to all and any bits of advice.

First time I have been on here in months - I actually got in without a problem.

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,664 Posts
Points 120,340

Hi Marge P. Good to see you back on QCA again. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:27 AM

Marge, I'm bummed too, my three months in Florida kind of depletes my vacation funds.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 4 2014 11:40 AM

Marge

I never use a hoop or frame when I do hand quilting even with my really big quilts.  The hoops just get in my way.   I do much better with the quilt in my lap.  Have fun quilting and I know it will be beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
777 Posts
Points 12,580

Marge I can't hand quilt anymore due to my arthritis & eyesight. I used the PVC frame that my papa made years ago but very similar to the one sold now at Joann's. Up until recently I always used Coats & Clark cause that's what my Nanny taught me with. I am really loving trying new thread types to see what works best with my machine  

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use