Hand quilting questions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850
Marge P posted on Sun, Jun 29 2014 11:16 AM

I am thinking of hand quilting a queen size quilt that is already layered and machine BASTED by a longarmer. What type of thread should I use?  I have always used the coated quilting thread many years ago and am wondering if King Tut, the long stapled Egyptian thread, would work just as well. 

Also being as the quilt is evenly basted, is it necessary to use a hoop?  I really don't do well with a hoop but just wondering. Also what size needle. Right now I wish this quilt was lap sized rather than a queen.

No longer able to use my longarm due to mobility issues so looks like hand quilting is my best option.  Will look forward to all and any bits of advice.

First time I have been on here in months - I actually got in without a problem.

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,975 Posts
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 12:29 PM

Hi Marge,

if it's well basted the hoop isn't necessary but if you get a floor farme it can help keep the weight off your arms and reduce fatigue.

I personally haven't hand quilted with anything but hand quilting thread or very fine crochet thread so I can't comment on the performance on other threads. However, hand quilting thread is stronger than regular sewing/quilting thread. It needs to hold up on it's own as compared to machine sewing. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 12:56 PM

Marge P:
I am thinking of hand quilting a queen size quilt that is already layered and machine BASTED by a longarmer

Marge, I do a lot of hand quilting and I use Gutermann 100% cotton with the beige spool, there are 220yds on the spool...it is an awesome thread made for hand quilting.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,219 Posts
Points 18,800

Even though I would pin paste my quilts to hand quilt I used a frame like this to keep the layers together, and off me.

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 360

Marge,

I too use the Gutterman 100% cotton quilting weight thread. I always pull my thread through bees wax as well. I have quilted a queen size quilt on a frame that sits in my lap. There is a little platform that holds the hoop. The hoop can be tilted and turned to suit your best quilting direction. I enjoy using this frame in cold weather. In warm weather I like to use a Q-snap standing frame. I'm very tall so I bought four of the leg extensions so that I can sit up straight. I think either of these would work for you. I have quilted one quilt-as-you-go quilt without a hoop. That went well, but it was one block at a time. Go to your library and see if there are any Georgia Bonesteel videos. If memory serves, she does not use a hoop for hand quilting.

As for the weight of the quilt and/or the heat created by the quilt, I would lay the bulk of the quilt on a table and just hold the area on which you are working in your lap. If you are accustomed to using a table for hand sewing this technique should have a short learning curve.

Happy Quilting!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,975 Posts
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 3:14 PM

tnmtgrl:
Marge, I do a lot of hand quilting and I use Gutermann 100% cotton with the beige spool, there are 220yds on the spool...it is an awesome thread made for hand quilting.

Is this their hand quilting thread or regular thread? (Just curious not a comment on your choice) I've used their hand quilting thread but not the sewing thread. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Their hand quilting thread

newport, tennessee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,605 Posts
Points 247,072
Thea replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:54 PM

Marge - when I hand quilted I had a large circular hoop that I used whether I had it well basted or not - but most of mine were well basted with the long threads running through them - I didn't use the stand.  

I would try the King tut thread but if it starts breaking too much use some quilters dream on it and if it still breaks then I would go back to the hand quilting thread.  

You are lucky to be able to hand quilt - my hands just won't work like that anymore - I used to love to sit on the front porch and quilt my quilts.... but it would take me 5 years to do just a small one now.  

the site is working really well again - and we have Rachel right there if you have any problems.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
227 Posts
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 7:01 PM

I use 100% cotton from Coats & Clark.It is hand quilting thread. I tried the all-purpose thread once and it knotted awful !

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,602 Posts
Points 178,383
Marie replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 8:05 PM

Marge, welcome back, you've been missed!  The site has been working well these days, almost as good as new.  Hope you hang out with us often.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,975 Posts
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 8:54 PM

tnmtgrl:

Their hand quilting thread

Thanks. I was wondering if their other thread was as good. I have another hand quilting project basted and waiting on me to choose a thread.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Just wanted to say that I use Thread Heaven too

newport, tennessee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 11:38 AM

Thanks all for the great information.

tnmtgal - I will check out the guterman thread - I do have some Thread Heaven............somewhere!

Kris - what size "fine crochet thread" have you used?  I had never thought of using it for hand quilting.

weezww56 - the quilt is very heavy and that is the only reason I might consider a frame.  Thanks for the info.

Jessica - LOL  I do indeed have Video#1 from Georgia Bonesteel and need to go and watch it. I can also put the quilt on a chair to the left of my recliner and that would help the weight issue. I love your saying "may there always be work for your hands to do" - my thoughts exactly.

Thea - not even sure I can still hand quilt but will give it a try.  The quilt is bunched up on the couch "breathing" and is begging to be finished.

Deb - I think the quilting thread I have is Coats and Clark but it is OLD!  I mean like 20-25 years - I think I need some new stuff.

Marie - I am so bummed that you and Kris won't be coming to the Montana retreat.   BUMMER!  I am just hoping that things hold together so that I can go as I am really looking forward to meeting CC and the other new ones, plus catching up with the ones I have already met.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,338 Posts
Points 30,455
Agnes replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 9:09 AM

Marge--Great to see you here. As you know, I no longer hand quilt but how I wish I could. You have received excellent information to carry on with.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,975 Posts
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 10:47 AM

Marge P:
Kris - what size "fine crochet thread" have you used?  I had never thought of using it for hand quilting.

I use Aunt Lydia's extra fine for bigger stitches. I've also used bigger sizes (no bigger than a 10). It's nice and strong.

Marge P:
Marie - I am so bummed that you and Kris won't be coming to the Montana retreat.   BUMMER!  I am just hoping that things hold together so that I can go as I am really looking forward to meeting CC and the other new ones, plus catching up with the ones I have already met.

Yeah I'm bummed about that too. I really want to meet Chocake. Hopefully there'll be another chance next year.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use