New to quilting and need some advice.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 155
Linda posted on Fri, Jun 27 2014 5:44 PM

I have been working on a quilt and I am going to add a 4 inch border with the shamrock fabric shown in image. I would like to place a two inch border to offset the inner quilt from the border but have no idea what color of fabric to use.

I thought maybe black but I have added black  (see second picture shows black-every large block bottom.) Thought maybe bright orange but my husband says it looks funny.   Hope you can understand what I mean.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 6:21 PM

Hi Linda, welcome to the group.  Your quilt is a fun one.  What I do when I am stumped at this point is take a trip to the fabric shop and interview fabric.   You're going to get as many opinions as you have responders.  I would try a narrow black border with one of your colors slightly larger and then your shamrock material.  If that doesn't work for you, try interviewing the border fabrics in

different positions till you find one you like

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,912 Posts
Points 124,870

Linda, instead of a 2" barrier border, what about 1" or even 3/4" of black? It wouldn't be so wide as to be overpowering. I often use very narrow inner (barrier) borders. I;ve made them as narrow as 1/2" if all I want is a slight accent.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Hey Linda, here's a couple ideas.......

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 155
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 5:24 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I have tried quilting before but just gave up -it all seemed overwhelming.  Now that I cannot work out side of my home due to heart problem it seems that I am driving myself nuts. So instead of feeling sorry for myself I am trying quilting again. Not many any material shops in little town from where I live in WV, but I have went to a couple of hospice thrift shop and picked up several pieces of  fabric for practically nothing. Budget very, very tight. 

My mother has been doing quilts since I was a little girl but I was the tomboy and I always did everything backwards from her. Maybe with all your help I can get half as good as my mother  is at 78. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,679 Posts
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 8:38 AM

Linda- I am not a green person but if you are going to use the shamrock fabric for your outer border I would recommend using that lighter green as an inner border.  Keep the fabrics the same - if you had orange in the quilt I would say yes to the orange but since you don't - and I looked at that yellowish orange and the blue but decided that if it was me I would use the light green rather then them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Thea:
Linda- I am not a green person but if you are going to use the shamrock fabric for your outer border I would recommend using that lighter green as an inner border.

Thea....something like this?......I think this looks good

newport, tennessee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,679 Posts
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:14 AM

Yes - that I love - it looks awesome - you did it - now hope she sees it and likes it too!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:32 AM

I know............she will have an awesome looking quilt..... =)

newport, tennessee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
938 Posts
Points 15,870

Linda just absolutely love the visuals on thing quilt.  Wow outstanding

Top 500 Contributor
Female
184 Posts
Points 2,390
MizPat replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 1:42 PM

Hi Linda. Just my opinion, but try something in the dark green that is the background for the shamrocks, or the blue that is in the blocks. Depending on  how narrow, black could work, but might make the quilt read as too dark.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
184 Posts
Points 2,390
MizPat replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:01 PM

Jen, love that look! I hadn't even considered the light green, but it looks wonderful.

Linda, keep in mind that all of these are only suggestions. In the end, it is the look that speaks to you that counts. Welcome back to quilting. May your stay this time be a long, enjoyable journey,

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,560 Posts
Points 47,935

Jen, you are so helpful! Great way to help a new quilter!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 12:50 PM

your welcome....anytime

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use