Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Thu, Jun 26 2014 3:49 PM

I'm so bummed. One of my favorite local quilt shops, Fourth Corner Quilts, is closing. They are shutting down their brick and mortar store and going with online sales only.

Rats. I shop online but there's nothing to compare with going in to the store; getting help with a project; browsing and touching the fabrics, laying them out to get the perfect combination.

I'm going to miss the gals in the store who have always been so much help.

Need to add. One perk is that they're having a  closing sale, 30% off everything in the store. Have to dig deep and see if I can come up with some bucks to shop! :-)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 135
Chippy66 replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 5:03 PM

Judy I just found out my favorite quilt shop will be closing. Cottage Inspirations in Cambridge, NE. They are also going to an online store.

I agree with you. I love being able to feel the fabrics and look at the combinations together.

Really wish there was some way to keep these shops open to the public.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Judy and Chippy, so sorry you are losing your LQS. It seems that the wave of the future is online, so sad. I like to wander around a store and it is a great way to get inspired, that is hard to do online. LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 7:57 PM

Just had a thought. Aren't we going full circle? Growing up, pretty well everything but groceries came from the mail order catalog. Then we gradually had stores like never before. Now we use the modern electronic order method but I'm back to my childhood. I remember ordering fabric from the Eaton's catalog when I first learned to sew in the late 1950's. Eaton's was a  Canadian chain with department stores in major cities and catalog outlets that folded completely in 1999.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Good point Agnes. LOL I remember when we were first married and we lived out in the boonies and I did most everything through the mail. I sent my film in to be developed and then waited weeks to get them back, now I can look at them instantly. I sent orders in on an order form with a check and waited to get it back and horror of horrors no email confirmation or tracking # LOL How quickly we forget.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 288
Points 4,705

So true that just nearly everything came from a catalog. Even houses came as kits. Sears & Roebuck had it all. And when Great Gram got the new catalog, the old one went to the outhouse to be used in whatever way was deemed appropriate/necessary! lol 

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 8:00 AM

Oh SpringerMOm the thoughts that came to my brain - oh dear!  

Judy - so sorry you are losing the shop - so many of the shops are closing and doing this - I too will miss the shops that close but being more then less housebound I am glad to be able to shop online and not have to wait for a catalog - but I do remember the days of the new catalog in the house.... funny how we remember different things like that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 4:21 PM

SpringerMom:
And when Great Gram got the new catalog, the old one went to the outhouse to be used in whatever way was deemed appropriate/necessary! lol 

You bet! Only reprieve was at Christmas time when the Chinese oranges came wrapped in paper that was softer than catalogs. I also remember waiting and waiting for films to come back. A good point also  to be noticed by the people who think "reuse and recycle" is such a new concept.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 6:28 PM

SpringerMom:

So true that just nearly everything came from a catalog. Even houses came as kits. Sears & Roebuck had it all. And when Great Gram got the new catalog, the old one went to the outhouse to be used in whatever way was deemed appropriate/necessary! lol 

I am pretty sure my garage came from Sears, back around the mid 20's.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,374
Points 37,420
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 7:08 PM

SpringerMom - I remember the outhouse at my grandma's when I was little. When I first got married, my in-laws had an outhouse. And, when I got pregnant the first time and I had to go out in the middle of the night during the wintertime, I made my husband carry me out there!! When my in-laws finally decided to get an indoor bathroom, they looked thru the Sears catalog and Montgomery Wards catalog. Anyone remember that one?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,374
Points 37,420
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 7:09 PM

I also remember buying fabric from JC Penney catalog and store.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 9:36 PM

Linda:
I also remember buying fabric from JC Penney catalog

and after we were done with the catalog we used it in the outhouse where it served a dual purpose.  something to read while waiting on everyone and......... 

grampa put an extra long seat in the outhouse so us kids would have somewhere to sit and wait our turn  in the winter.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

gini:
grampa put an extra long seat in the outhouse so us kids would have somewhere to sit and wait our turn  in the winter.

How I remember the outhouses! We didn't have one but my best friend did. Down the hill by the barn. Too far for a nighttime visit in the winter. So, when I spent the night we'd have to get the chamber pot from under her parents bed. (I don't know why she didn't have one under her own bed)

That was a joy and I usually opted to walk outside under a tree. Also a joy in the pitch black night.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Linda:
hey looked thru the Sears catalog and Montgomery Wards catalog. Anyone remember that one?

Sure nuff. Catalogs were the mainstay of our life in the 40's and 50's. Even later when my kids were little they couldn't wait for the Sears toy catalog to come out at Christmas.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 288
Points 4,705

Boy, such memories! I was totally scared of the outhouse at GG's. Spiders for sure were in there, and who knew what else was lurking there, in my child's imagination. I was probably around 6-8yrs at that time. I remember what a relief it was when they finally got a bathroom in the house... a narrow metal shower stall and the toilet. That was it. But, no more outhouse or chamber pot! Now in thinking about it, they certainly couldn't have continued to use the catalog pages for "tissue" with the newfangled indoor toilet, could they? I would have to think it would block it in no time. Who knows.

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use