Top 10 Posters

state a Row by Row

Page 26 of 33 (481 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 480 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 1:19 PM

I received plates from Roxana and Debbie today thank-you they are such fun to receive in the mail

Darlene(2manyhorses)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 1:41 PM

Roxanne and Debbie I'll let you know when I receive more in the mail, but right now I'm just waiting.  Now I should be able to get back to sewing.  This has been my best summer for traveling though.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Thu, Aug 14 2014 8:56 PM

I can't believe what i just did.  I unpacked all the bags from my shop hop and i got at least 2 quarter cuts of fabric at each store intending to use in that stores row now i don't know which store had what.  Sometimes my cleaning and organising really messes me up but it will still be scrappy.  My next thought since i've been to 33 shops should i make 4 individual quilts or one large one.  What would you do?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 6:30 AM

ls2116:
What would you do?

Good question ls!  I was going to make 4 different seasonal quilts using all the fall rows in one and all the winter rows in another.  But then thought of a way to incorporate all the rows into one large quilt.  Hope you had fun and can't wait to see your quilt(s).  Another idea I'm going to do is color set the license plates so they don't fade.  I've seen a quilt with the rows and plates together that has been washed and the colors in the plates had lessened.  So just going to pass that on.  Have fun!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 3:01 PM

How do you make it so they won't fade?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 4:14 PM

ls ~ I have some extra plates that I was going to use to test out some Retayne.  You can get it at LQS.  It's used to set dye in cotton fabrics.  I'm just going to follow the directions on the bottle except I'm going to use a basin instead of my washer.  The other way to set color is with vinegar.  Sometimes when I use red embroidery floss I set the color that way.  So I hope this helps you.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:27 PM

Mimi:
The other way to set color is with vinegar.

Mimi - what's the formula for this?  water to vinegar ratio

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:30 PM

Judi - received yours in the mail today, so cute. I now have 19 with 6-7 more coming.  thinking on making mine to look like the back end of my van or an RV.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 601
Points 9,570
Joyce replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:36 PM

Mimi would heat setting the plates set the dye in them?  I didn't think about them fading.  Hate to put all that work in them for them to fade away.

Joyce

Md

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 7:33 PM

Debbie, I've only ever used the vinegar with floss when I thought it might run.  Remember I'm going to try this with extra plates I have, not the ones I want to use.  Here is the recipe if you would like to try it. Heat will bring out the dye so once treated either with Retayne or the below mixture the material can only be washed in cold water.  

"Fill your bathroom sink half full with cold to tepid water with 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of salt. [Soak your thread, one color at a time] in the basin for 1-2 minutes. Remove [the thread] from the sink, blot it with an old, clean towel, and allow it to dry. PLEASE NOTE: HOT WATER or using a STEAM IRON can re-activate the dyes and could cause bleeding." (we actually recommend that you use another container rather than the sink for the vinegar and salt solution, and, after soaking the threads in the vinegar and salt solution, use the sink faucet to thoroughly rinse residual vinegar and salt out of the threads before blotting dry.) If bleeding occurs while soaking in the basin or color transfers to the towel during blotting, rinse the threads until the bleeding stops. If there is no color left, the threads cannot be laundered. If the color is OK, soak it again for a couple minutes in the vinegar and salt solution and blot dry."

Some say the above is old wives' tales and won't work at all.  Rit Dye Fixative is also supposed to set the dye in fabrics but I haven't seen that being sold anywhere around here so I guess Retayne is the best bet.  Hope this helps answer some questions.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Aug 15 2014 7:35 PM

Joyce, I guess you could try it especially since heat will bring out dye.  I was going to iron the plates anyway so I don't know if that will help or not.  I think I'm going to send an email to the designer and see what she says.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 570
Christine replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 1:58 PM

Rhode Island plates have arrived. 

NH plates being mailed out. I should have them by the middle of the week. 

I will get in touch with individuals next week. 

Christine in MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 32,010
Roxana replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 2:19 PM

Thanks, Christine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 7:51 PM

I ended up retracing my hop by phone trying to find the one that i had seen some fabric but didn't purchase while iwas there finally finding the right shop they are sending me out some.  Thank goodness their website really helped because i seen it really fast..

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 114
Points 1,950

Judi, I received your plate yesterday. It's so cute. Thanks.

Page 26 of 33 (481 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use