Top 10 Posters

"A Quilters Lumberyard" A Scrap Management System" TM Copyright

Page 7 of 16 (228 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 227 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 1:03 PM

Helen Bell:
..the quilting bee is where you can get pattterns

Helly, where can I find the quilting bee?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Marie~

Do you belong over on Blonde Space Cadets Unite? You just have too many ideas all swirling around in that head of yours.

The Lumberyard System is basically what Nana is cutting.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Marie:

Helly, where can I find the quilting bee?

Dear Space Cadet Marie~

Go back one page, scroll down and re-read the message I sent giving you the name of the pattern and the STORE and the PHONE  NUMBER to call to order. It is called the QUILTING BEE. lol

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 1:48 PM

Diane Morgan:
Do you belong over on Blonde Space Cadets Unite

LOL Diane, don't you know I'm the original founder of that group?  That's what's wrong with me, or one of the things that's wrong with me.  My mind doesn't have a nice neat filing system like everyone else so it's always swirling around.  If I want to stop the swirls all I have to do is eat chocolat and it stops but I am currently out of chocolate and my son borrowed my car so I'm swirling with no place to land but here with all my dear friends to take care of me.  I knew I needed you in my life, somebody has to straiten me out.  Can you bring me some chocolate?  LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I have only one little lonely Hershey's kiss is chocolate but you can have it. Come get it. If you leave now you can make it for supper......lobster drowned in butter and corn on the cob poolside.

And I'm sewing strips! I'm almost done. Then I have to press but it's hot!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 4:11 PM

Diane Morgan:
lobster drowned in butter and corn on the cob poolside

Don't I wish.  Tell Wayne come pick me up.  LOL 

My strips are bagged and waiting for me.  I'm working on the purse and it's coming real nice.  I'll post pics when I'm done.

Right now I'm waiting for my friend Nanc to come with dinner and spend the evening.  We're being good girls and having salads.  Sure, to make up for that bag of candy I bought for you and Kris that I totally ate a little at a time.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

IMHO you don't need to make the purchase to figure this out. If you buy the pattern then you have a pattern to use the sizes they tell you to cut. I did buy the pattern, but felt like there were other sizes I wanted to cut as well. If you cut your scraps into pieces that are commonly used, remembering to add the seam allowance, then store them in a way that makes sense to you then you have your system. The pattern & system is a good starting place, depending on your type of sewing you will want other sizes.

For example 2 1/2" strips are used a lot. When you sew it you end up with a 2" stirp. The half inch was the seam allowance. So whatever size you think you would use a lot of say a 6 inch square, just cut your squares 6 1/2 ".

The Downey Quilts use 3 1'2" strips and 6 1/2" square so I try to cut kid fabrics and brights into those sizes and put in one container. Those sizes work fine for quilts for my guild hospital program as well. When the pieces are already cut the quilt can go together very quickly.

I have started cutting up my scraps and have a long way to go. LOL Right now I am putting all of one size into one container. Depending on how many I end up with I might sort by color or value, haven't decided yet.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:45 AM

Thanks Pat, I think I'm finally getting it with the help of all of you.  I guess I don't need the pattern after all.  Hooray, the light bulb finally shines!

And no comments from the peanut gallery, Diane!!!!!

Seriously, I hope you and Wayne and the kitties are doing better today without Molly.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Marie:

Thanks Pat, I think I'm finally getting it with the help of all of you.  I guess I don't need the pattern after all.  Hooray, the light bulb finally shines!

And no comments from the peanut gallery, Diane!!!!!

Seriously, I hope you and Wayne and the kitties are doing better today without Molly.

Good morning! Here is the peanut gallery. As usual,I agree with Pat. You don't really need a pattern. It's more about cutting the scraps. On Nana's posting are the sizes that need to be cut. I've only been doing 2 1/2" strips and then cutting the sizes that Nana did. That's all the Lumberyard is.

I have bins of weird sizes of fabric and tons of 4" squares. In my spare time I want to go through the weird sizes and if it's less than a fat quarter it gets stripped!

I also did 5 layers of painters tape on the underside of a ruler and I'll leave that as my 2 1/2" ruler. It works great and nice and straight every time.

North of Boston MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Ok Girls:  I'm finally back with the pictures I promised.  Looks like you've been a bunch of busy saw mill workers.  Good for you.  Nana, Diane, & Helly are right.  It's an easy system.

Here are some scraps that I haven't cut into Lumberyard dimenisions:

This is how I decide how I'm going to cut a scrap:

This is under 4 1/4" and is irregular -- So I'll cut it down to a 2 1/2" strip.

You'll notice that the remaining piece is about 1 1/2" so it will go into the kindling drawer.  This next one measures a little over 5 1/4"  so I'll cut a 4 1/2" strip and see what's left.

You'll see I have an 1" or less so it goes in the Chip bag.  The Chip bag holds anything less than long strips of 1 1/2" or irregular pieces that I can't cut out 2 1/2" squares.  I got 5 -  4 1/2" squares and a wee little true scrap.

Here's a scrap that measures a little over 7" long by about 3 1/2 wide.

This is what I did with it.  One 2 X 4, one 2 X 2 (with the 1/2" added of course)  and a kindling and a chip.

Next are my container boxes.  They are scrap book paper boxes bought on sale from JoAnn's and a Nuts & bolts, or loose screws box (fits me just fine) bought on sale from Lowes.  Upper left holds, 2 X 4's, 2 X 2's, 6 or 8 X 2's, thread and a lot of sewn triangles.  Upper right holds holiday 2 x 4's, and 4 x4's mixed.  Lower left drawer holds 2 1/2 strips, the next drawer holds kindling and last is the bag of chips.  I went through this bag and got all of the pieces that I could cut out true 2 X 2's (no seam allowance)  so I could make Gini's English Paper Piecing Hexagons.

Next is a scrap box that also holds some fat quarters and charm packs.  This isn't all of my scraps that need cutting.  That is an on going process.  I do try to cut up the scraps when I finish a project tho. 

Most of these are sample blocks I've made using the Lumberyard System.  And my ever present coffee cup.

Hope these pictures help some. 

I'll try to answer any questions.  I think, Helly and Nana have it down tho.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:56 PM

Snowbird--you are doing it the way I do, too.  Even before I heard of this system - I cut scraps into the sizes I think I will need, starting with the biggest ones it will do - then cut down until all I have left is true 2" squares, which I also have a pattern for.  Wish I was as organized as you, tho--my squares (6 1/2, 6, 5 1/2, 5, 4 1/2, 4 and 3 1/2 are all in  plastic bags (saved from magazines) in big shallow drawer my DH put in my cutting table,  Then I have plastic boxes full of other sizes cut to specific patterns, and some for 2 1/2 because they are so easily used - even for leaders and enders like Bonnie does.  I have made more than one quilt with leaders and enders, too.            When we were doing the Nursing Home Quilts, I used up most of the ones I have for the Block Party -- it was easy even for beginners, no matching seams, and the sizes of the pieces is small enough to be attractive, but not difficult at all.  The quick to make quilts sometimes have pieces so large, they're not as pretty -IMHO!!

Now, when I'm down to narrow strips, after I cut all the long 2 1/2" ones I can, the rest go into the pile (on the sewing table with Sassy)  Those, I use for the Mile a Minute blocks, which I have many boxes full, done and ready to make up real quick.  Even smaller, triangles, anything not square, go in the shoebox for the crazy blocks on dryer sheets.  Also have quite a few of them made up too - I make them when the box is full.  I even collect the tinest scraps left from everything and give to Special Services for their fabrics to sell by the pound.  Nobody can accuse me of wasting any fabrics, so others pass along to me what they can't or won't use, and here I go again!!  Isn't this the best hobby in the world of hobbies?!!!  Scrappy pieces to you all--Carolml

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:11 PM

Patty Mc.

What do you do with your kindling and chips?  I haven't been saving anything smaller than a 2x2.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Patty~

Thanks for the pics. I've already started but still not sure how I will store them. I'm going to cut and see what size piles I end up with.

The other thing I have is two x-large bins filled with two layers each of 4" squares by color. What can I do with 4" squares? Kris suggested sewing them for backings which is a good idea.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:21 PM

Diane

Those 4in squares make wonderful patchwork quilts.   The old fashioned kind.   I have one that I use for our winter quilt.  I put 2 layers of batting and a fine wale corduroy  backing.  It is so warm and just heavy enough that you feel swaddled.  I replaced my worn out down comforter with my patchwork.  My DH loves it.

Now that you are more comfortable with scrappy you could do a beautiful patchwork.  Just mix up those squares and start sewing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Nana:

Diane

Those 4in squares make wonderful patchwork quilts.   The old fashioned kind.   I have one that I use for our winter quilt.  I put 2 layers of batting and a fine wale corduroy  backing.  It is so warm and just heavy enough that you feel swaddled.  I replaced my worn out down comforter with my patchwork.  My DH loves it.

Now that you are more comfortable with scrappy you could do a beautiful patchwork.  Just mix up those squares and start sewing.

You make me laugh. I've already decided that I will make the backing for the Boxy Star with the 4" squares. So then I was thinking I could match the colors from the front and then you popped right into my head. Why pick and choose colors, just grab a square and make the back scrappy like the front. So that I will do.

I have some simple 4" square quilts on my site but they were controlled by color. Now that I'm an official Scrap Happy, I'll do some just like you said. I like the idea of the of the corduroy. Doesn't it weigh a ton?

North of Boston MA

Page 7 of 16 (228 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use