Page 1 of 16 (228 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 227 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541
Snowbird Quilter Posted: Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:18 PM

This system is Trademarked and has a Copyright. It is by Cheryl Coffman and Patty Bowers.

Marie:

When I finish a project and I only have a small amount of fabric left, I cut it into the Quilter's Lumberyard sizes.  As you might imagine that is 2 x 4's, 2x2's 2x8's 4x4's etc.  Lumber measurements in inches with 1/2 inch added for seam allowances.

There is a pattern out called "Glowing Crazy Eights"  By Cheryl Coffman and Patty Bowers.  That pattern uses 2 x 4's.  with the 1/2 seam allowance. 

Right now I'm using up some of my scraps to make a small pieced top and hope to get it completed for an auction to be held for my cousins, wife's Mom who has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

When I get the top pieced I'll post a picture.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:22 PM

Patty Mc

thanks for the tip.  It really is the perfect way to manage scraps.  There are so many patterns out that you can use those sizes.

I am sorry that your cousin's MIL is sick.  That is a tough disease.  I will say a prayer for them.  And good luck on the auction...I bet your quilt will be beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Maybe not beautiful, but fun, and hopefully someone will want it.  They already have a game jersey from Kellen Clemens the New York Jets backup quarterback, who is from our home town, and a started colt (as in horse).

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:29 PM

Patty Mc

It sounds like you all are getting some really good items.  Hope everything goes well.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Thanks Nana: 

One more thing while I'm thinking of it.  When I cut up my left overs, I usually cut them into 2x4's.  I store them in a plastic box from JoAnne's that is used for scrap booking paper.  I sort them into lights, mediums, and darks.  I don't worry if I have all of one fabric line together or even if I have one fabric or color together.  They just get stacked and stashed.

For the "Crazy Eight"  since I have more lights that anything else.  I pull 5 lights, 1 medium and 2 darks.  Go to the machine and haphazardly (color wise that is) start putting them together.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:35 AM

blonde question...so do you cut the 2x4's as 2 1`/2x4 1/2" on so on?? seems like a great way to manage scraps...and you say there are patterns for these pieces too?

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,343
Points 241,927
Thea replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:47 AM

Helly there is that one that they are talking about above and then there is Scrap Therapy which also is copyrighted... I went to classes for Scrap therapy - it was an awesome experience - we all brought in our bags of scraps that we had been keeping...

A true quiltoholic doesn't throw a piece away - teehee - but I learned in this class to organize my scraps and throw some pieces away.  I have tubs now with different size pieces in them...

And yes they have tons of patterns for this ... a large bag and pot holders and then so many quilts patterns now from scraps.

I used to have a link to the web site - am looking for it - found some places that sell the patterns but they used ot have a web page.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I'm glad you asked Helly, because I was going to have to. I have a confession to make. I wasn't saving scraps.....I know, I know, don't throw things at me. I do have a few larger pieces that I cut up into strips but the scraps I threw away. So now I will start keeping the scraps. Should I throw the scraps in a basket as is or should I try to cut into a size or shape before it goes to the scrap basket?

Also, speaking of scraps. Since you're making your own fabric by sewing it together you can use the fabric to make clothing. I made a vest from a Simplicity pattern (ages ago) and the fabric was all scraps. The vest is lined so you don't see all the seams.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:21 PM

Diane what a neat idea.  I would have loved to see it....bet it was really pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Helen Bell:

blonde question...so do you cut the 2x4's as 2 1`/2x4 1/2" on so on?? seems like a great way to manage scraps...and you say there are patterns for these pieces too?

Yep that's what you do.  The girls have one pattern out.  It's really more of a system for organizing your scraps.  When you look at blocks you will find that it's easy to adjust most blocks to fit the "Lumberyard System".  The Easy Quilts magazine for Winter 2009 had a pattern called "Honeycomb" by Pam Christy.  I adjusted those pieces and used 4 x 4's, 2 x 2's, & 2 x 4"s. 

It's easy when you are first using the system to forget to add the 1/2 to each side 2 x 4 to 2 1/2 x 4 1/2, but once you get in the habit of cutting your leftovers you make few mistakes. 

I cut and sort after I finish each project.  That way I'm not overrun with a bunch of scraps in a bucket or a tub!

Hope this answers some questions.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,343
Points 241,927
Thea replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:42 AM

I was all caught up a year ago and now am way far behind again... now instead of having bags of scraps I have these little bins...teehee...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

So would you store them by colour or size??  I don't like cutting larger pieces of fabric into strips as it concerns me if I have a need to something square or rectangle...so this system is more to my liking..thank you

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Snowbird Quilter:

Yep that's what you do.  The girls have one pattern out.  It's really more of a system for organizing your scraps.  When you look at blocks you will find that it's easy to adjust most blocks to fit the "Lumberyard System".  The Easy Quilts magazine for Winter 2009 had a pattern called "Honeycomb" by Pam Christy.  I adjusted those pieces and used 4 x 4's, 2 x 2's, & 2 x 4"s. 

It's easy when you are first using the system to forget to add the 1/2 to each side 2 x 4 to 2 1/2 x 4 1/2, but once you get in the habit of cutting your leftovers you make few mistakes. 

I cut and sort after I finish each project.  That way I'm not overrun with a bunch of scraps in a bucket or a tub!

Hope this answers some questions.

Hey --- I see the fabric you cut up to make your witch doctor!   I save scraps but have never organized them like this - just tossed them all together helter skelter in one bin.  This is a great idea.  Thanks for sharing. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 9:00 AM

I love this idea and actually cut some of my scrap into pieces last night.  Not sure that I am going thru the whole basket and cut it up but will try to cut my future scrap as it arrives instead of throwing it all in the basket.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

By size and by light, medium, and dark.  I don't cut up anything fat quarter size or larger.  I may cut an oddball piece into a fat quarter and the rest into "Lumberyard" pieces.

I'm going to get tomorrow afternoon to spend with these gals.  I'll ask them if I may take some pictures of their bins of cut up stash.  I'll also see about getting a few pkg's of their pattern if any of you want one and when they have classes or trunk shows set up for next winter.  They winter and teach in Arizona.

I have 2 x 4's, 2 x 8's 2 x 2's and 4 x 4's in one box. Remember with the added 1/2 seam allowance! I have 2 1/2 strips in a small bin drawer and  I have kindling also in a small bin drawer (these are less than 2 1/2 but no smaller than 1 and any length) and chips (these are less than 2 1/2 square or irregular in shape)  in a shoebox.  There's also a use for sawdust!

Please gal's and guy's if you pass this information on credit Cheryl Coffman & Patty Bowers.  It is a Copyrighted and Registered Trademark.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Page 1 of 16 (228 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use