Top 10 Posters

What kind of freezer paper for applique?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 255
Sarathatch posted on Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:26 PM

Hi Quilters,

I'm trying to get started with hand applique. 

What kind of freezer paper should I use?

My grocery store sells Reynolds Freezer Paper that is plastic coated. Is that ok? 

Or is it better to use the craft freezer paper, like C. Jenkins brand? 

I love posting my questions here. Thank you!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

Sara, I don't do hand appliqué but have used freezer paper to cut out letters and such for machine appliqué . I have never seen plastic freezer paper, but the waxed freezer paper can be ironed onto your fabric and then when you want it off it just peels off. Hope that helps and BTW Hi and nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
611 Posts
Points 9,745
Joyce replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 1:34 PM

Sara and Spudgrandma when I did hand applique I used the regular freezer paper from the grocery store.  It worked just fine.  Good luck.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
1,074 Posts
Points 21,415

I use the Reynolds Freezer Paper from the grocery store and never had any problems.

Carol W. in Arkansas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
26,198 Posts
Points 388,182
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:35 PM

I use the grocery store FP and C. Jenkins' brand.

C. Jenkins paper is sturdier and I can reuse it more than Reynolds; plus I can put it through the printer. For tracing small pieces or very large pieces the Reynolds is my go to paper.

You can make Reynolds thicker by ironing pieces on top of each other. This is great if you're making templates to trace around.

Oh and the Reynolds shrinks less than C. Jenkins (yes freezer paper shrinks when you iron it).

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.