Learning curve is pretty steep for me.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 65
Nanas-karpie Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2014 9:13 AM

I have struggled with a complex quilt kit most of the year.  Finally  got to the last border; quite wide and beautiful fabric; only to find that I had mis-measured.  My quilt is now 10" too wide and long.  So as I see it, I can double the next to last border and make a 2" flange; cut half of my beautiful final border off; or ... UNSEW.  I have really learned a lot about that this past year.  I want it finished so I can begin a new learning curve but I think removing the final two borders and deleting the next to last one will be my choice.  Yep, I'm a newbie but a really old newbie so the curve gets steeper and steeper.  Love it though. 

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Welcome, Nanas-karpie! my thought is that you'll be happier with your option to handle the problem by unsewing. It takes time, but in the end the border will be the way you really want it. We'll look forward to seeing the finished quilt!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 12:27 PM

Welcome Nanas-karpie. What you've described is not just a rookie mistake. These things happen the best of us.  I'm happy you were able to find a solution and carry on with your quilt. Un-sewing is not fun but often necessary.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 9:03 PM

Hi nanas, welcome to the group.  If you love this border, leave it like it is.  The left over border fabrics can be used as a sham to match your quilt, used on the back or used in another quilt.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,828
Points 248,709
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 17 2014 12:49 AM

NANAS KARPIE,   BOY Have we all made that MISTAKE.I will be interested in seeing what you do to fix it . It sounds like a beauty

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 65

I think you're right.  Un-sewing is the way to go.  I managed to get the top and one side done last night and now I want to go back and fix the slightly off corners in a few places.  And there is one block that I need to just re-do.  Wish me luck.  And thanks for the support. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use