Top 10 Posters

Quilting design

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Points 2,685
betty.tolliver@yahoo.com posted on Mon, Jun 9 2014 7:49 PM

I have been diligently finishing quilts since the first of the year and have 10  to go before I will allow myself to start a new one.

My question is:  I need to quilt  " Interwoven Melodies"  There is no set block , and sections are not  all the same size so it will have to be an all over design. If I can't find something simple I will have to do a meander. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas. I am doing this on my  Bernina 750 which has a  ten inch throat. So far I haven't  found any templates that work, but I make my own most of the time. Just need ideas.  Thanks for any help you can give me.       Betty

• | Post Points: 0

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
227 Posts
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:43 PM

Post a picture , Betty . Might help gave someone a brilliant idea! :)

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 500 Contributor
Female
168 Posts
Points 3,875
Answered (Not Verified) Gerie replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:31 AM
Suggested by Gerie

Betty, I usely quilt without a template, I come up with a design, or I've seen something I like and I practise on paper first. Then I quilt the design just freely all over the quilt. That way, my patterns aren't always the same size, but I think it makes the quilt more interesting. You can go search for the error, for instance, a star with six arms, instead of five. For a quilt called Interwoven Melodies, I think  I would use the thing at the front of a music piece, I don't know how it is called in Englis, we say (and I translate litterally: G-key. If you attach the G-keys on a string, you have a continuos design for allover your quilt.

Good luck with finding a nice pattern, Gerie.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
310 Posts
Points 4,690

Betty,

Nice Dresden plate . 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Points 2,685

Sorry, I can't do a picture computor not doing well.

The pattern was using fabric with musicical notes, however I did it with three shades of purple and a 2  inch square of teal.  Its hard to describe but I'll try. Its three equal lengths of 2 inch wide strips . You have four sets of these     two in a vertical position and two in a horozontal position . They surround the 2 inch teal square.  I spent the day trying to figure out how I was going to do this. I have an all over  leaf design that I was going to try. My next problem was although it is a small print I can't see any of the markings I have tried. I may have to do something with straight lines. I cannot just do free motion without lines to follow, my brain goes off in too many directions and makes a mess of it. Well tomorrow is another day.

Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Points 2,685

Marianne Nowicki:

Betty,

Nice Dresden plate . 

Marianne

Thanks, I did that one a long time ago. Hand quilted.  I like to hand quilt in the winter and machine quilt in the summer. Plus I have to hurry and finish  the ten that have been waiting and I so want to get into my stash to start some more.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
168 Posts
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Thu, Jun 12 2014 6:49 AM

Or Betty, I sometimes use the pattern in the backing fabric as a guideline for my freemotion quilting. But I find it very hard to follow the lines. That is why I usually work without templates. Maybe it works better for you?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Points 2,685

Gerie, thanks for your input.  My backing fabric is a dark purple tone on tone flower print. Upon sleeping on it. I have decided that I may try drawing a design on freezer paper. So now it is back to my books and templates to decide on something  relatively simple. I had traced out the leaf meander on tissue paper [ on about 5 sheets the size of the template] , but decided that the design was too  much for the fragle tissue. I did a meander on tissue on a smaller area that came out well. The tissue tears away so easy. I did save the designs for a later project.  The area that I am quilting in is 41 X 58 . I have a 5 inch solid purple border which I plan to do a floral vine. I am usin a varigated  King Tut thread in the lighter shades of purple so that it will stand out. .       My left brain , right brain  fight each other when I try to do what I think  is in my head  LOL   so I have to have a design  to follow.  At the first of the year I had over 26 quilts  to finish and  have made good progress till this one, but I WILL NOT give up . It may just take a little longer to get done.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
168 Posts
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Thu, Jun 12 2014 1:17 PM

You're welcome Betty. I wanted to have a year as well, to finish my ufo's. Two years further along, I also managed to finish quite a few, but I started more. Oh well, I just have a few large ones I really want to finish first. so I try to keep the new ones to a minimum of two. Or three. Per year, not per Ufo.  Good luck on finishing your UFO's, you're doing a great job.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
938 Posts
Points 15,870

When I first started I thought everyone was crazy to have UFO's. Well guess who has four now. Don't laugh that's a lot for me. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use