Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Duffbabe Posted: Thu, Jun 5 2014 1:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to quilting so new that I am just beginning my first project. I haven't quilted since high school and that was only two pillows.  So here I am 30+ years later. Finally got my pride and joy new sewing machine I have been coveting and saving for for almost 12 years, my hubby named it Buttons and Buttons and I are getting to know each other and having so much fun. My old machine just finally decided it didn't want to play anymore and over the last 12 years I only would use it for little things.

My first question and I saw a post about how to calculate how much material might be needed for a project, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed......can you give me an idea of an average amount of fabric that might be needed for say a baby/toddler size quilt, or even a large say king size quilt?  Just an idea of how many yards.

So happy to have stumbled onto this site.

Thank you,

Patti

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 909
Points 15,095

Welcome Patti.  We are glad you stumbled onto this site also.  You are going to love this site.  We are a great bunch of quilting buds

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Sat, Jun 7 2014 1:25 AM

hi patti, welcome to the group.  if you are not cutting up the fabric, a yard and a half  of two fabrics for  back and front will do the trick on a crib quilt.  how much fabric you will use if you are making patterns depends on how intricate the blocks are.  the more pieces there are, the more fabric you will use.    there is no hard and fast rule on how much fabric you will need, it depends on the pattern you pick.  find a quilt pattern you like and we'll help you figure it out

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 811
Points 15,425

Welcome to QCA, Patti!  Be sure to check out "A Quilting Resource" in the Groups. Although there's nothing about how much fabric you'll need (Gini answered that anyway) there is a lot of quilting information that you might use. Have fun and we'll be watching for a picture of your first project!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sat, Jun 7 2014 6:02 PM

Welcome! Patti and Buttons. May you have many lovely days together making beautiful quilts! Glad your here.:)

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 306
Points 4,625

Patti,

Welcome and nice meeting you.  What kind of sewing machine is "button"?

I'm new to quilting too, I started last  year and I found the most reasonable way for a project is to purchase a kit.  Connecting threads has the most reasonable kits.

And they're having a 20% off sale right now until the 10.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm?media=BE140604&elink=1--20thAnniversarySale&utm_source=media&utm_medium=bem&utm_campaign=BE140604&utm_content=1--20thAnniversarySale

And you can go to Missouri star quilt co.   They have lots of youtube demos, that include the fabric needed.

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 306
Points 4,625

Nice meeting you Patti and welcome.

I started to quilt last year and I found that it is reasonable to purchase a kit.  Connecting thread has a sale right now until tomorrow.  26% of on everything.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm?media=BE140604&elink=1--20thAnniversarySale&utm_source=media&utm_medium=bem&utm_campaign=BE140604&utm_content=1--20thAnniversarySale 

Missouri Star Quilt co has wonderful youtubes with  lots of  great projects and they do give the  list of material needed. 

Good luck,

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 306
Points 4,625

Nice meeting you Patti and welcome

I started to quilt last year and I found it most reasonable to purchase quilt kits.  I have bought several from Connecting Threads.com and they do have a 20% of sale until tomorrow.

I also love to watch Missouri Quilt Co youtubes.  They have lots of demonstrations and they do tell how much material is needed.  That helps to get an idea on how much is needed for a project.

I hope that it will help you to.

Marianne

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use