Top 10 Posters

To Pre-Wash Fabric or Not To Pre-wash?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 80
Mudblubets posted on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:13 PM

It appears that this question has been asked many times before, but I am a beginning quilter just starting my very first quilt and am torn on what to do.  All my fabric is 100% cotton  and I will be machine piecing the blocks and machine quilting for a queen size quilt.  I understand there is an ongoing debate on whether or not to pre-wash your fabric, and to date I have received a 50/50 response on which way to go.  I did wash a measured swatch of dark fabric in order to test for bleeding; and although it was color fast and did not shrink at all on the lengthwise grain, on the crosswise grain it shrank a good 1/8 of an inch or better.  Is that a significant amount of shrinkage and for a project of this size would it be better to pre-wash all my fabric?  I'd really rather not if I don't have to, as it is a lot of extra work and I understand there can likewise be problems from washing, such as tangling and unraveling.  Thanks for any help or advice you can give.  

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,683 Posts
Points 248,707
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:21 PM

I always love to talk quilting so if we rehash an old question for a newbie - that is fun to me - 

I do not prewash anything... When I quilt my quilts I use 100% cotton batting, I feel that if they are going to shrink as long as I use all the same fabrics they will shrink the same...

I do put a color catcher in the washer the first couple times I wash my quilts though so if anything does run it won't get far.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 4,855

Welcome to our community! I do not pre-wash. The only colors I pay strict attention to are dark indigo blues, and all reds. (I seldom use black so can't say about them.)  I check those fabrics by the swatch washing method and let them dry on a white paper towel. If a red fabric continues to bleed after checking it 2-3 times, I do not put it in my quilt. I always use the color catchers Thea mentioned when I wash my quilts the first couple times.  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 10:20 PM

hi mudblubets, welcome to the group.  I prewash everything before it goes in my studio.   I don't find the tangling and unraveling much of a problem and it's easily fixed.  as well as the issues with shrinkage and bleeding, the fabrics have pesticides fungicides and other chemicals that I don't care to breathe all day long.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use