rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735
SuzyCraftMaker Posted: Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:07 PM

Three questions -

Has anyone done a quilt using the stack n whack method?

Do you have one of Bethany Reynolds's books?

Any recommendations on which of her books is the best for a beginner?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,512
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:25 PM

If Bethany writes the books called One Block Wonder - then Yes I have her books - all of them - at the moment they are packed so can't go look at the author.

I have one stack and whack - one block wonder quilt started but before i got it in the pattern I wanted to sew it together my Mom moved in with us and I had to take my design wall down.  I do have pictures of it though and a friend in NY wants me to finish it and send it to her - so will have to hunt for it as I told her I would try and get it done before Christmas.

I have all the books so can't recommend any except I would say to start with her first one as they progress.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775

I agree with Thea, start with the first one. 

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Suzy, I know nothing about stack-n-whack! But your little dog is a cutie!   :)

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,788
Points 30,470
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 9:35 PM

I've done both stack-n-whack - 2 quilts and OBW - both hexagon (pink flowers) and octogons (fall colors)  You can see the octagon one in my gallery.  finished it up late last year, maybe early this year.  I meant to take a picture of the quilt I made DS and DDIL  but forgot when I was there.  there are fun and challenging.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 982
Points 16,925

Ditto what Springermom wrote.  Now I'm going to have to YouTube it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 982
Points 16,925

I found her website and she has a downloadable tutorial.  Way to cool.  Thanks ladies.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,837
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 9:35 PM

I have "Quilt's by the Slice" it's good. "One Block Wonder" was written by Margaret Rosenthal I have that book as well. The methods are pretty much the same.

I've never used this method. I used Inklingo to do my kaleidoscopes. It's much easier.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:09 AM

I have the first of Bethany Reynold's books. It had all the basic information and never felt I needed more. One block wonders use the same shape throughout. Bethany's Stack and Whacks have background pieces so you can have pinwheel blocks, LeMoyne Star blocks, etc. In my opinion though the cutting is the same I find one block wonder too busy. I like the eyes to have a resting place and not drive me bonkers. JMHO I have done many stack and whacks, strictly using the book as my guide. I no longer refer to it because I have the method down pat.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 485
Points 26,265
qcarachel replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:14 AM

Hi Agnes,

From time to time, I am going to ask the QCA Facebook page member questions about quilting (I will omit names of course!) This past week, I posted your question about stack and whack. Follow this link to see what other quilters said about Stack n Whack:

https://www.facebook.com/QuiltersClubofAmerica/posts/10152138437075671

Best,

QCA Rachel

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,628
Points 24,885
Susie replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:24 AM

I want to do one!  I even have the fabric for it.  There is one that uses 4-patches that  friend of mine showed me.  I just need to get caught up on pressing items before I start a new project from the ground up.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.