Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 101 of 188 (2809 items) « First ... < Previous 99 100 101 102 103 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,808 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

Donna, I think if it were me, I'd make another panel like the first one, same pane fabrics but different views. So it looks like you have two windows each with a different view of the outside world.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:28 AM

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:

Donna, I think if it were me, I'd make another panel like the first one, same pane fabrics but different views. So it looks like you have two windows each with a different view of the outside world.

My opinion, exactly.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,675
Ginny replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:09 AM

Donna, I love the look of the panel that you made to cover the hole.  I agree with Judy and Agnes' idea to make another one with complimentary scenes so it looks like you are just looking out a differnt window.     Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,713
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:11 AM

Donna, your quilt panel is beautiful, like looking outside to a beautiful garden and pond.  If you have a different panel I would go with it because different window, different scene but if not go with the one you have, better than looking at the back of a mirror.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,685

Ginny:

Donna, I love the look of the panel that you made to cover the hole.  I agree with Judy and Agnes' idea to make another one with complimentary scenes so it looks like you are just looking out a differnt window.     Ginny

I

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,362
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:00 PM

Donna:

Our house has a long hall by the guest bedroom and my quilting room that has 4 small windows/portals in it. 2 of them go to the outside, so they have windows, the other 2 go to the entryway and are only portals. John put up 2 mirrors in the entryway that cover the portals. So on the hall side you see the back of the mirrors. One of which I see while sitting at my sewing machine. Example shown in the first pic. So I have made this garden windows wall hanging to cover it. It is just the top, not quilted yet, shown in the second pic.

My question is, I have another panel just like this one, do I make the second one the same, or do I go for a different look in the window panes??

Donna - I know I am always different then everyone else - but when I was looking at your small wall quilt I was thinking that it is beautiful and that if it is the colors that you love and they match your color scheme that that would work for another one on the other window but that if it was me - I would want them color coordinated but different...if that makes any sense.  Another color from the room so that I wasn't looking at the same thing all the time.  The same pattern just different colors.

I used quilts on my windows rather then drapes - I have the windows that the ultra ray does not come through so I do not have to worry about them bleaching from the sun.  When I did have this worry I pinned them to my curtains.  I change them out as the seasons change... 

I think this is a great idea though - I sent my DDIL a peacock quilt to hang over her window like this and a Halloween one for the Halloween season - she uses the Peacock all the time until Halloween comes and now she wants me to make others for her for the other seasons... they are on my "list"...:)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,685

Thea, I am so sorry for the migraines and other maladies that plague you. Have been sending prayers your way. My husband also had migraines but he would have me drive him to our chiropractor. He would practically crawl in, but after the adjustment he would be good as new. Amazing. I have a close friend that had been in pain for ten years [ doctors had told her don't let ANYONE touch your neck or you will be paralyzed for life] so she was scared , but she came to my chiropractor and after just a couple of visits she had relief .Of course it took time for the muscles to retain the position that they should be in , that's why follow up visits are so important. I am fortunate I have the best one ever! People do not realize that keeping the spine in the proper alignment helps the whole body to function properly. I go once a week. People can't believe how old I am because of what I am able to do. I also have arthritis, but adjustments help tremendously.  Now the problem is not all chiropractors are good ones [ just like not all MD's are all good] . I talked to mine yesterday and he said he knew some good  ones in OK. If you are willing to get some relief E-mail me and we can go from there. It just pains me to know someone is suffering when something can be done to help. I will be praying for you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 6:29 AM

A friend's son is getting married the weekend after Thanksgiving and she asked me to make a quilt for them.  The bride's engagement ring has a ruby and I guess she likes red and since it's so close to Christmas these are the colors she chose (the green has gold metallic on it).  She chose the pattern and the fabric.  It went together pretty quickly now I just have to get it quilted by Thanksgiving!  It's an odd size by design, about 70" square.  The son is over 6' and she wanted it to be a lap quilt that they could both get under.  The back will be the same red that's on the front.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 484
Points 9,190
Jan replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:46 AM

Judy I think that is wonderful for a first try.  I don't think when I hand quilted my 3rd quilt the stitches were that even.  Keep practicing, you are doing great!

Jan in Rochester

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

Thanks Jan. I'm not giving up machine quilting but I found I like having hand work to do in the evenings if we're watching TV. I just finished the embroidery on a wall hanging and will continue to practice my hand quilting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,362
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:58 AM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:
Amazing. I have a close friend that had been in pain for ten years [ doctors had told her don't let ANYONE touch your neck or you will be paralyzed for life] so she was scared , but she came to my chiropractor and after just a couple of visits she had relief

Betty, I am so happy for your DH and your friend that a chiropractor was able to help them both.  Sadly, I was never allowed to go to one.  I have radiculapathy in my neck now - have a neuro stimulator implant to help with that pain.  I have so so many things wrong with me that it is hard to enumerate them all.  I was not able to ever go to a chiropractor due to having military insurance.  If I had gone, and he had hurt me worse and I had needed any surgeries after that they would not have covered my surgery.  It is a catch 22.  The military - although some members go to chiropractors - does not recognize them or anyone that does acupuncture.  They do, however, send you to a DO - who is a doctor that isn't and MD but a DO - he / she is almost exactly like a chiropractor but licensed differently - the DO from what I remember goes to medical school but stops short of doing internships in hospitals and that last 2 years to get their MD... or something like that.  

I have severe issues with my neck - had 2 surgeries on it and after having severe problems approximately 2 years ago - I was in level 10 pain 24/7 for almost a year from it - a neurologist diagnosed radiculapathy and recommended what would have been my 3rd surgery on my neck but the neuro surgeon that was to do the surgery backed out and said he wouldn't - I have spurs on C1, C2 and C3 / 4 disc bulges so much the spinal fluid is minimized in area that it can pass through to 1/100" - We have no idea why he backed out... they said I could start over with another neurosurgeon but it meant I would have to travel 2 hours about 3 times a week to get all the tests redone because any of the other neurosurgeons that they contacted said that they wanted new testing done... so they gave me a 2nd choice of going to a pain management doctor - Dr Owens was fantastic and a program that had been started at the Mayo Clinic with these neuro stimulators was talked about... they normally do them for sciatica and not neck but with the Mayo clinic people here they performed a surgery that lasted 5 1/2 hours and got it in and as long as I keep it on it stops the message of pain from the nerves from getting to my brain.  the problem is still there and some day the disc will completely rupture and I might wake up paralysed but for the present I am not emotionally able to start the procedure of a new neurologist - someday - and the base doctors are just waiting for me to say okay and they will send me to the ones in OKC...for the moment though I am happy with not having "that" pain 24/7 - when I forget to charge the stimulator I know it as the pain is back full force - so I keep it charged - the charge lasts about a month - I am supposed to charge it up once a week but I forget - I get busy - I used to have a big calendar on the wall but with all the renovating we have been doing to get this house ready to sell the calendar went somewhere... but I know when it is starting to wind down and walk around for a couple hours with what looks like a fanny pack on charging the battery for the unit that is in my body that keeps that electrical pulse going that keeps that message from getting to my brain.  I thank the floor that Dr Owens walks on because without him I would not be here... he truly saved my DH from being a widower.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 401
Points 5,940

Betty, I totally understand what you are talking about!!!  My family goes to a chiropractor and we have found much relief.  We also have a friend who treats a little differently....kind of between a chiropractor and a physical therapist.  I'm not sure what his method is called but think I've heard some call it 'manual manipulation'.  He is wonderful and we dread the day he is no longer able to help us....he is close to 90!!   When my children played sports in high school (football, volleyball, basketball, softball, track & field) they would sometimes get injured so I would take them to him immediately after a game or practice and the next day they were playing again.  He is amazing!   I only wish I knew someone like him so we can find the same relief when he is no longer able to do what he does.     Some of our friends have also had great results with acupuncture but so far I'm not ready to try it.  

Thea, I am sorry you have so many health issues to deal with.  It is unfortunate the military insurance would not allow you to go to a chiropractor because you may have had great results.  Sadly, they are not a cure-all and cannot help everyone so it may not have been the answer for you.     I hope you can remember to keep the stimulator charged and have as many pain free days as possible.  Hang in there!

Barbara

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 401
Points 5,940

Betty, I totally understand what you are talking about!!!  My family goes to a chiropractor and we have found much relief.  We also have a friend who treats a little differently....kind of between a chiropractor and a physical therapist.  I'm not sure what his method is called but think I've heard some call it 'manual manipulation'.  He is wonderful and we dread the day he is no longer able to help us....he is close to 90!!   When my children played sports in high school (football, volleyball, basketball, softball, track & field) they would sometimes get injured so I would take them to him immediately after a game or practice and the next day they were playing again.  He is amazing!   I only wish I knew someone like him so we can find the same relief when he is no longer able to do what he does.     Some of our friends have also had great results with acupuncture but so far I'm not ready to try it.  

Thea, I am sorry you have so many health issues to deal with.  It is unfortunate the military insurance would not allow you to go to a chiropractor because you may have had great results.  Sadly, they are not a cure-all and cannot help everyone so it may not have been the answer for you.     I hope you can remember to keep the stimulator charged and have as many pain free days as possible.  Hang in there!

Barbara

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,675
Ginny replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 9:07 AM

Thea, I am somewhat glad that you are unable to go to a chiropractor.  I went to one for quite a few years, off and on,  for my neck which has much arthritis and bone spurs.  That is until he manipulated my neck one day and damaged the phrenic nerve  and now I have a paralyzed diaphragm on the right and have shortness of breath for anything that I need to do.  There is no cure for this injury.  It is permanent and hampers everything that I need or want to do.   I no longer see any chiropractor for anything.  I don't need to end up like Christopher Reeves.  The limitations that I have are bad enough. 

I even saw Neurologists and neurosurgeons at The U of M and they could not give me any assurances that they could improve my condition.   

I don't ever recommend anyone go see a chiropractor.      Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,362
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 10:17 AM

Ginny, I can't say never see one but I suggest that if a person does that they make sure that the person has the correct training.  They did send me to a DO which is so similar to a chiropractor that I asked him about the difference and he said that the DO's do go to medical school which at the time I saw him chiropractors did not.  But even he screwed me up - he had been doing great - started out very slow working the neck muscle - the shoulder muscles and I had greatly improved and then like you one day he pinched something just right and all the work he had done was gone.  I do thank my lucky stars that he did no permanent damage like the chiropractor did to you but still it was quite a while before I could move right again.  I went back to doing the exercises the PTs had given me of pulling the straps over the door and laying on my bed face down and doing the other exercises - those eased it up... but like you I have a lot of arthritis in my neck along with excelerated degenerative disc disease plus RA - I have two discs that are fused at C4/5 and C5/6 - that is what had been recommended for C3/4 but as I said the neurologist after saying that it should be done decided he would not do it... he was going to take out the bone spurs and fuse that disc - it just destroyed me - I was in so much pain and nothing was reducing it - I couldn't sleep - I couldn't concentrate - I just cried almost all the time and tried to keep up a good front when my DH was home - but he knew - I couldn't lay in bed and sleep at night... if he rolled over it rolled me and I would wake and almost scream... I am lucky that the Mayo Clinic figured out a possible help for me - not a cure as I said but I feel relatively little pain from my neck or in my arm.  

Now if they could figure out how to treat shin splints and my lower back pain - and the hip and the knee - I would be wonderful...:)  That would be too much to ask though... but relatively speaking I can live now and do things and that is great - can't do all I want but that is okay!  I just have to plan...plan...plan... 

Right now DH wants to make another trip up to MN but if I am going to go to Iowa for retreat I know that when I get back that I won't be traveling for at least 4 months - so no Christmas this year with the grands -- and am not heading to the wedding of my DS's wife's brother.  I made the dress for Echo for the wedding - she is my grand daughter but I won't be able to watch her wear it at the wedding... I had to make a choice and the retreat is what I truly wanted to do - I would like to do both but I know that I can't so not crying about it but working to get my house finished so that I will be living up there and won't have to worry about that 10 1/2 drive to get there... 

The long goal is living in the same small town so my grands can visit me daily... that is the goal...

Page 101 of 188 (2809 items) « First ... < Previous 99 100 101 102 103 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use