Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 98 of 113 (1688 items) « First ... < Previous 96 97 98 99 100 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,687 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,358
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 20 2014 6:14 AM

Good for you Agnes, a little extra cash in your pocket is good, more fabric, more quilts, win, win.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Yesterday I watched the craftsy.com hand quilting video. I have my practice piece, which I hand basted, and have been practicing hand quilting without a hoop. 

I can't imagine hand quilting an entire quilt, unless maybe it was a hanging or table runner. But perhaps with practice I'll feel differently. I can do 6 stitches to the inch. No where close to 10 stitches to the inch.

One huge thing I learned in the class that I will use from now on is hand basting my quilt layers. I hear the rest of you talk about hand basting and always thought "Oh Ugh, that would be so hard and time consuming". After watching Andi on the video I realize it may even be easier than pinning.

I have a top finished and ready to layer and pin. I'm going to hand baste it this afternoon and see how that works for me.

Always something new for this old dog to learn.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,413
Points 47,210
Angele replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 1:41 PM

Agnes, that hat is cute! I might just wear one like that. I don't like wearing things on my head.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,290
Points 29,150
Agnes replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 2:16 PM

Angele:

Agnes, that hat is cute! I might just wear one like that. I don't like wearing things on my head.

Thanks, Angele. I need something on my head while out to avoid sunstroke and the brim helps with heat rash. Then when it gets a bit windy I need to cover my ears to avoid ear aches. I'm actually toying with the idea of the hat in fall colors with fabric covering the ears and tying under the chin. I "seam" to be moving towards a hat emporium.

Judy--There are two camps in counting the stitches but what is far more important than tiny, tiny stitches is that the stitches are uniform in length. That is something I never accomplished in my 15 plus years of hand quilting and now won't because I no longer can hand quilt because of hand tendon issues.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Agnes:
Judy--There are two camps in counting the stitches but what is far more important than tiny, tiny stitches is that the stitches are uniform in length. That is something I never accomplished in my 15 plus years of hand quilting and now won't because I no longer can hand quilt because of hand tendon issues.

Agnes, thank you! I feel better about my efforts. I've been working on a layered scrap for the past couple evenings. Surprised myself that I rather enjoy it. I drew a very simple design of four hearts for my very first attempt at hand quilting. I bought the right kind of thimble and betweens needles. Wow, that takes some practice. The neighbor lent me a quilting hoop (I don't much like using it). Here's my rather pathetic maiden voyage into hand quilting. But I'm very happy with it, goobies, skips and all. It's mine and gives me the warm fuzzies. :-) 

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 595
Monica replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 2:35 PM

I really like how this is coming together.  I believe this pattern is also in the latest Block issue.  Your post gives me additional inspiration to give it a try.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 3:34 PM

Judy, Don't be so hard on yourself.  You are doing a wonderful job.   So what if it isn't however many tiny stitches to the inch, they look lovely.  I don't do any better than that myself and I have been hand quilting off and on for years.   I can't get used to using a thimble though-- and I have tried many.  Just keep up the good work.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 3:42 PM

Marie:

Well I went back to the first page real quickly to see how long I've not gotten posts from this thread in my email and guess what?  Since the beginning of June, Rachel do you know why?

I missed so many beautiful works because of this.  All I could say is "ladies, what beautiful quilts, wall hangings, table runners, scenic pictures, bags, fabric boxes, etc. you have created, sorry I couldn't've comment on them individually".  Hope I will get email from this thread in the future.  Reason I'm even here is because Kris said I could find her LUS top finished if I went to this thread so I googled it and here I am.

I wasn't getting any posts either and I can only assume it's when the new thread started. I had to go back and check to receive e-mails when a response is made at the top of the page. Maybe that's the same issue for you?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 3:48 PM

Judy,

You're hand stitches look fantastic!!!  Looks great for your first time. I tried and just can't get the hang of it. More power to you girl!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Thanks Ramona. I don't know yet if it's something I will continue with. Learning to hold the thimble and that wee little needle is a bit of a challenge. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 350
Points 7,900
didash replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:01 PM

Judy -  Keep at it!  Looks great to me!!!  I have a JB quilt in progress that I'm determined to do all by hand...applique, piecing, and quilting.  It will probably take me 10 yrs to finish (it's my "travel project") if I live that long and then look like crap...but I'm determined to do it. LOL!  Wish I had your talent....

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 350
Points 7,900
didash replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:02 PM

Does anyone know of an online tutorial for mitering binding corners when the binding is 2 different colors?  I can do the mitering fine with one continuous strip, but having to change colors at the miter has me a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

didash:
'm determined to do all by hand...applique, piecing, and quilting.  It will probably take me 10 yrs to finish (it's my "travel project") if I live that long and then look like crap

LOL Diane. I hope I have another 10, or even 20 years (now that's optimism), but I'll keep on quilting until they carry me out the door! If I really planned it well, I'd be stitching that last piece of fabric from my stash.

One of my clients is a non-profit with a thrift store aimed at artists supplies. They get lots of donations. The other day a big box was brought in with fabrics, needlework, yarn and supplies. Lots of semi finished embroidery projects and a pile of beautiful fat quarters. They belonged to her mother. No one in the family wanted any of it. Sad but very common thing to be brought in. The woman was having major guilt pangs over giving her mother's treasured things away. She left in tears. I wish now I had thought to get her name. I would have made her a small quilt from the FQ's and perhaps finished one of the needlework pieces and inserted it into the quilt. I'm really kicking myself.

I told my daughter and granddaughter they are welcome to do whatever with my leftovers. I don't want them feeling bad if there are things they don't want.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

Ginny:
I can't get used to using a thimble though-- and I have tried many

Thank you Ginny! I got a Clover thimble with the square end with a deep ridge. It has a soft body and is very comfortable. Was going to get a medium but the Jan at the shop recommended the small. Glad she did, it fits snugly. But it's going to take some perseverance to learn to use it. 

I saw a leather one with an inset metal ridge in the pad of the finger. I don't know if that would be better or not.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,761
Points 66,995
Bonita replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:06 PM

Judy, looks very good for your first time. I have a hard time keeping the rhythm going doing the rocking motion. 

• | Post Points: 35
Page 98 of 113 (1688 items) « First ... < Previous 96 97 98 99 100 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use