Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 94 of 120 (1794 items) « First ... < Previous 92 93 94 95 96 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,793 Replies | 47 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 17,665
weezee56 replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 6:27 PM

Carol from Pittsburgh:
I finished a QOV yesterday.

Your quilt is beautiful.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 717
Points 14,070

Thank you all for the nice comments about my QOV!  I really enjoyed making it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 244,382
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 6:50 PM

Ramona:

Thea,

I can't believe all you get done with all the issues you have. You're an amazing woman! Sorry you're feeling bad and hope that nasty weather heads out soon.

Ramona - Compared to how much I used to get done - I seem to be going at a snails pace.  I did get my machine working - I used the Pfaff for the fmq and now have the Janome back out for the last of the 3 - this one will probably take me all next week to quilt as I am using a fancy stitch and the rows are diagonal diamonds - I used up one bobbin for 1 1 /2 rows... so I know it will take a while but I think it is looking really good the two rows I have done.  

DH interrupted for dinner... I am not a fan of sausage and he was trying a new one - made sausage burgers and then burnt them on the grill - silly man - the salad was good...:)  I didn't say anything to  him - just thanked him for dinner and that the new sausage burgers were not to my liking - he didn't like them either ;)... 

So am sitting watching some tv waiting to see if a little more energy comes upon me to do another row... as I go each row is shorter as they are diagonal - I think I started on the longest row in the middle - but am not quite sure - it is a big quilt...I will be happy when it is done - the backing fabric should be here Tues or Wed for the other 4 quilts - they are all twin throw size except one and it is a queen / king... so I'll do the 4 small ones so I can feel like I am doing something...:)  then tackle that big dog quilt.  

The fabric arrived for the missionary quilts - this is the fabric I am going to cut into solid 10" squares.  I have to look through my layer cakes to see if I have ones that each of the girls will like.  I am thinking I will do both these quilts at the retreat in Sept.  So I'll just be cutting them into kits.  

So laying back now to take a rest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 717
Points 14,070

Ramona:

Carol,

Your QOV is beautiful. Just love the patriotic quilts and your pattern is very neat. Where did you get it? You may have said on here but guess I missed it.  I'm working on a patriotic quilt now.  Was going to do it for QOV but won't get it done within the time frame left. So I'll probably keep it and do another one for next year. Yours is very, very nice.

Ramona, the quilt pattern is in the July-August F&P Love of Quilting. It's called "Allegiance."

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 244,382
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 7:01 PM

Carol - that is a beautiful QOV - I had always hoped that someone would send me one - I just had to make my own...:)  Your person will love you for it though as that is gorgeous and yes I think that pattern would do up fantastic in red/green for Christmas...

Carol from Pittsburgh:

I finished a QOV yesterday. It's quilted with stars and eagles. I made it for a dear friend who is a Viet Nam veteran. That's one of my cats, Oliver, peeking from behind. The quilt went together very easily.  I'll probably use the same pattern again but with different fabrics--  maybe even Christmas colors.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 8:04 PM

Carol I'm going to have check that month again, That sure is a great QOV.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 717
Points 14,070

Thank you, Thea and ls !

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 244,382
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:03 PM

Carol - the more I look at it I think how beautiful it is - I love all kinds of quilts and love doing them all but I love going back and looking at the pieced ones and I know how much work that was.  Just gorgeous.

No sewing yet today.  I have the pile of quilts next to me to do the hand portion of the binding on but woke to every bone and ligament in my body aching.  I did make it to church - but those pews were not friendly... think I need to get a full cushion to take with me to sit on.  Maybe donate a lazy boy that I can sit in during sacrament...:)  But I tried to pick up the MR throw size and my arms said NO - not yet... so hoping by sometime in the race I can get going and get at least that one done... but I ache... I rubbed my cream on my legs and arms hoping it will ease it up... I do not like getting old - why couldn't I just stay young...I take my 2nd set of pain pills shortly so maybe they will help.  

DH is aching too - I feel so bad for him if he ever starts feeling as bad as I do - I don't wish this upon anyone... but am smiling.  The purse I made - the blue and gray one got an order for it from our house sitter - she would like me to make one for her in greens... so told her as soon as I get these quilts quilted that I will start on that for her.  I will probably kit it up and take it on retreat with me as I am the missionaries quilts.  I have to locate my pattern...hmmmm where did I put that...

Well, good Sunday to all!  Remember him who sent us here and say thankyou for the blessings - even if it is a blessing of pain like I have today!  He has richly blessed me so many times over I pray all the time for less and someday will have it - but he has given me so much I am not complaining - just whining a teeny bit...teehee... God bless each and every one of you!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:45 PM

If I could do this over I'd use only 12 blocks and make the border much wider or at least replace the cornerstones with border fabric but it is what it is.  For a moment I seriously thought about ripping it down and doing just that but I snapped out of it pretty quickly!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:47 PM

Ramona:
Could your backing not be cut square? That would throw things off. And, if you stretch that backing too much, ask me how I know this, your quilt will spring when it's finished quilting. :-) So be careful trying to get those few inches out of it.  Good luck!! 

My biggest problem is the fabric - not the best quality and very off-grain.  I didn't allow enough (really didn't check how square it was) before cutting the 2 lengths I needed.  I just cut several inches longer than quilt and didn't square up the fabric first.  That sure makes a difference in length when it is so off-grain.  I am adding a piece to the length and wrinkles, etc are gone after pinning it again after taping down.  It doesn't work so well pinning in sections, but it will be OK when I get it finally quilted.  I am not trying to stretch the background, just keep it in place while pinning it.  I should go back to my old "quilting frame method" (4 boards and a few clamps) since my table is not big enough to lay out the full quilt.  Thea's idea of using the church's tables is a good one. Also, the carpet does a good job of holding the fabric in place, especially with a few pins stabbed into the carpet but there is no way I can crawl along the floor like I used to do in my younger days!  Would need a "sky hook" to get me up again.  I can't kneel because of bad knees and get dizzy if I try to lean over to do it.  I would also have to move furniture of of the way.   As usual, I just have to adapt.

Thanks for your tips - As I was unpinning I noticed the wrinkles were diagonal due to the grain being so off.  Letting it relax, taping in place, and "going with the flow" of the wacky grain, things will work out.  Thread quality of the fabric is fine - just the weave is off.  this is something you don't see when buying online.  If I had just had enough brain that day, I would have cut the strips longer.  Almost ready to start quilting AGAIN!  This project is taking a little too long!!!  Kids head for college this weekend or next.  Everyone says they won't need quilts for a little while.  They will get them, but not quite as soon as I hoped.  That was this weekend!

Had a wonderful time at our daughter's anniversary celebration yesterday, although it was a little cool and windy.  Her gardens are beautiful - of course that was her profession - growing and selling plants and designing gardens.  She was married in the display gardens where she worked (which she had designed) so decided her 30th anniversary just had to be in her own gardens.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 244,382
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 1:27 PM

Debbie-do:

If I could do this over I'd use only 12 blocks and make the border much wider or at least replace the cornerstones with border fabric but it is what it is.  For a moment I seriously thought about ripping it down and doing just that but I snapped out of it pretty quickly!

Debbie, Have you quilted it yet?  I like the cornerstones... the border is too simple though and I wish I could see the border fabric a little better to see if all those colors are those represented in the body.  If you haven't quilted it yet - think about adding on another border piece one of the darker pieces from the quilt - I as all know am partial to blue but purple or green would work too - then I think you would have the correct size border for the blocks you made.  

If it is already quilted... then it is a gorgeous work.  Your blocks are absolutely brightening my day!  I am laying here dozing off... my body is aching and this brightened up a day of pain... no sewing yet ... am still hopeful but I think my body is fighting hard agains itself as it attacks itself all the time. 

I like your quilt!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 1:44 PM

Thanks Thea.  The border fabric was picked especially because it had all the colors of the flowers plus orange which was one of the requested colors!  The pattern is in the Sept/Oct issue of McCalls's  Quilting and I followed instructions (for once).

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 29,530
Ramona replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 2:46 PM

Thea,

You get more done now that I ever have.  You seem to be just a busy beaver. Sausage burgers....hummm.... I don't think so either. Burnt or not burnt. At least he gave it a go. I did a baby quilt on the longarm with diagonals and I didn't think I'd ever finish.  You take care and have a great rest of the weekend. Rain here today.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 29,530
Ramona replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 2:48 PM

Carol,

Thank you!  Next time I get to the store the store I'll see if they have that issue still.  Thanks again.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 29,530
Ramona replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 2:57 PM

Debbie-do:

Debbie, 

This is really a nice quilt. I think the border is fine and cornerstones look really nice. I'm like Thea, if you add another border, one of the colors in the quilt, it will be the finished size you want.  Even if you have quilted it but have not put the binding on, you can still add another border. Not hard to do at all. Had to do it once myself and advised a friend to do it a couple of times.

Page 94 of 120 (1794 items) « First ... < Previous 92 93 94 95 96 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use