Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 79 of 120 (1791 items) « First ... < Previous 77 78 79 80 81 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,790 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 8:29 AM

Thea thank you for all the nice tips. I had read some of them before, some I had forgotten and some I've never heard before. I am trying very hard to keep up with all the goings on here. Your sampler is looking great. I really like the shadings in your blocks. I hope the weather stabilizes so you can do what you do with less pain.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 8:31 AM

Weezee your tutorial is very clear. Thank you.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 8:36 AM

Marsha both of your quilts turned out great. 

My you don't take much breaks.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 8:39 AM

Thea I'm glad to hear your pains are down to what is normal is for you. Your optimism always lifts the dark clouds in my world.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,477
Points 244,332
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:11 AM

Angele - I have forgotten more then I have learned and I keep forgetting that a lot of our members are new quilters... and I need to pass on these tips... I just reposted some of my pictures from a pictoral tutorial I did back in 2009 on bindings.  I hope that the pictures help someone - I know I used to be so frustrated and hated doing the bindings till that one day when it all clicked in my head while I was sleeping and I got up and did it and have done it like that ever since and never gone wrong... 

I am feeling very optimistic today which usually means tomorrow will be a bad day...:)  but we are hoping for a few if not a whole week of relative ease... summers here usually bring me the best times as the heat is so so good... I know the farmers need the rain as we have been in a state wide drout for about 7 years - they said just the other day on the news with the rain we have gotten that every county is now officially out of drout status - awesome... so the rain can stop for a few weeks...:)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:34 AM

Well Thea, here it was the opposite for about a month! Most of the district was in flood warning for about three weeks. Many  people lost their docks, had water in houses or basements even though they were relatively high. Bogs got loose and blocked channels. Quite a mess.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,477
Points 244,332
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:46 AM

Angele - my prayers go out to you - send the excess water to Oklahoma - we had about 6" of water the other day and you would think we would be wet all over the place and squshing for days... when it stopped and the sun came out after about 1 hours DH was out mowing the lawn and trying to till the area that still needs it and he still had to soak that ground as it was still bone dry.  I am sending mucho prayers your way.. the Spanish speaking people are rubbing off on me and I am learning some Spanish words ...:)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 802
Points 12,965

Geez you all have been very busy I love it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:12 PM

Marsha-SM:
Here are pictures of the first 2 quilts.  The first is 72 x 104 and MQ 9 is 64 x 100

Very nice Marsha. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:16 PM

Thea, I am happy of the rain here...unfortunately much of it fell all at once. Many gardens rotted before they came up.  I see that your plans for moving to MN are coming along nicely. Have you put your house on the market yet? Did you get a place in MN?  

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

I'm glad I only cut out pieces for one block. I wanted to see how it looked before committing to these fabrics. The blue floral is a beautiful fabric and the light blue goes with it. But not in this block pattern. The light blue takes center stage and the floral ends up looking muddy. 

The pattern is Blueberry Ice, a free pattern. Someone posted it on Facebook and I love the pattern and it goes together easily. This afternoon I'll make another block with two different blues and a lighter background fabric. Luckily I have several blues of 3 yards and more and tone on tone whites to choose from. This block is 16-1/2". It may become part of the backing. And, if other "test" blocks don't turn out like I want, I'll have a very eclectic backing. Or, and this just now occurred to me. I could make three more just like this. With sashing and borders it would be a very quick lap/wheelchair quilt for a dear neighbor who has been moved to a nursing home.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,477
Points 244,332
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 1:47 PM

Judy, I think your block is very pretty and you might think about making several in different blue fabrics and make it a blue sample quilt.  I don't think the dark floral fabric looks muddy - I do think the light blue hits my eyes and then I have to look to see what else is there... but all in all I think this is a very pretty block.  I think with 16" blocks finished that a 3 x 4 quilt with 4 different color waves would look very nice.  You did an awesome job on this block.  I look forward to seeing the finished quilt and the secondary pattern with the blue corners.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 4:46 PM

Judy I like your block. I agree that the dark print looks "off". Maybe it would look better in bigger pieces. I like the idea of using it on the back so nothing is wasted.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505

Deb:

Marsha, the floral quilt is wonderful, my favorite of the two!! The other one is lovely don't get me wrong, I'm just a flower person!

Thanks Deb.  The floral is my favorite also.  When I cut this one out I cut out enough blocks for 3 more quilts.  I can get 4 squares out of a fat quarter, so cut out 4 of each.  Some squares were from scraps, so I have to look up some more scraps somewhere for the 4th quilt.  I found a few extras to fill out the kit for the 3rd.  The first kit is already being made into another quilt for an unexpected early graduation for another grand-niece.  She was supposed to graduate next year with 2 more grand-daughters.

I will make next year's quilts fairly soon so there is no last-minute quilting next year.  Then I will have time for some unexpected quilting or TIME FOR ME!  I will start handwork on the binding of quilt 3 tomorrow and start quilting the 4th this week.  This is another fun one with 60 wildlife print blocks around a deer panel (the top was posted earlier and I also made 2 of them last year).  More outline quilting which I love.  

The floral quilt went to it's new owner yesterday.  Our niece came to stay with her grandmother yesterday (across the road from us) so I sent it home with her.  She couldn't start hugging me!  Wish I could have personally given the quilt to her daughter, but she was working.  The younger grand-niece was with her and loved it also.  She won't get hers for 6 years.   At least the rest of the grand-children and grand-nieces and nephews are spread out better - - no more six in one year.

The MQ 9 disappointed me - my colors were too plain.  I needed a different background fabric to make the pinwheels stand out. The quilting is a little different, but it doesn't show up.  The pinwheels are quilted 3/8" from the edges, the lavender triangles are quilted with tendrils curling from the centers to each point, and the larger lavender parts are quilted with leaves and vines.  The dark strips are 3/8" quilting from the seam and the centers are 8 petals from center to edge.  The border has leaves and vines like the lavender.  I wish I had used a more contrasting thread than the light gold I used.

I don't think I will get tired of making the floral quilts or the wildlife quilts because of all the possible fabrics I can use.  They are never boring.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

Thanks Thea and Kris. I made a new block with a lighter background and replaced the baby blue fabric with a deep blue, which is also in the floral fabric. I haven't added the corner triangles yet. I can wait until all the blocks are made and then decide if I want to use the tone on tone blue or the blue floral. I'm leaning towards using the dark blue in the corners with a fussy cut floral in the sashing corner stone. But will wait on that decision. Of course, if I were really anal, I could fussy cut all the floral pieces. Gives me a headache to think about that. I also intend to quilt each block before sewing them all together. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 79 of 120 (1791 items) « First ... < Previous 77 78 79 80 81 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use