Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 77 of 140 (2095 items) « First ... < Previous 75 76 77 78 79 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,094 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 4,840

Judy, when  I started quilting I worried that others may think I did not make the best fabric choices or maybe not sew my blocks correctly.  But then a quilter friend told me...."it's your quilt, do it the way you want, and if you're happy with it that's all that matters!  Best advice I got!!!  Now I don't worry if all my corners or points are perfect.  Sometimes close enough is good enough!!!   LOL  And as for your neighbor....she can keep thinking she's a perfectionist but she isn't the perfect neighbor!!!  LOL 

Bonita, I love your quilt!  I'd like to make that pattern.  :)

Barbara

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 7:45 AM

Bonita - Love the quilt - it looks so vintage... I am used to working on brights with Black;  That quilt looks very striking and I love it - my eyes keep straying up to look at the picture...

I  have the center done for my latest endeavor in the quilting world and now on to working on that flying geese border.   It took all I could do to sit at the machine yesterday and sew the blocks in rows first and then the rows together and the first solid black border is on...but that isn't pressed yet.  I did get all the flying geese sewn in 3's - they go from light/medium/dark in each color wave which is 6.  you make 6 sets of each of these - today I have to sew 1 1/2" strips on either side of the 3sets - then sew them together - of course, different #'s on each side of the quilt.

For those who have problems with chopping off your points.  I have a quick tip for you...Before I say that - let me first say - as Kaye Woods used to say - you are either a pointed person or you are not... if they bother you when they are chopped off and you get your seam ripper out to try and fix them then you are a pointed person - but although I am a pointed person I do not go around looking at everyone's quilts to see if you are pointed or not...

But a simple tip that might help you not have to get that seam ripper out:  When you sew the two pieces together - if you sew with the point piece on top - you can see the stitching lines on the back - stitch 1 thread to the right of the triangle that you see and you will not chop your point off.

Now if you are sewing two points together and one is on the bottom and one on the top - you pin them together - it is a little complicated but works when you do it... you take a pin from the top right into that corner of the triangle - you then peak and pin it through the triangle on the bottom piece... keep it standing up straight - you then put a horizontal pin in on each side of this pin - you then remove the upright pin - this will hold your piece exactly in place so that the feed dogs don't move it.  When I went to the first QNNtv retreat, the lady that was teaching us there taught me this - it works very well as long as I have taken the time to press really well as I am making the block.

I recommend pressing very well also so that those pieces nestle in with each other...one ofther tip I got from watching Simply quilts years and years ago from John Flynn - when you sew two pieces together - so that the feed dogs move them the way you want... the top piece should fold out towards you and the bottom piece should fold the opposite way... this nestles them nicely and the feed dogs will push them together rather then pulling them slightly apart... 

In the end, unless you are making the quilt for a judged show - don't worry about it - all the love that goes into the quilts we make for the recipients says it all about them - they do not go over our quilts and say "look there, her points are cut off"  they see the pattern and the colors - nothing more... and there really are no quilt police that are going to come and give you a ticket... In the scheme of life it just is such a small thing.

I hope I have not offended anyone by giving tips on how to do this but I know that I was happy to learn these techniques as they saved me from getting frustrated with my sewing and using my seam ripper - I would rather enjoy the sewing process and being the horrific pointed person that I am I was and did get frustrated a lot but happily got over it... :)  I did learn early on in my sewing how important my Iron was though - I do not miss that step anymore.  

I am not sure if I will get to my sewing machine today or not... I used to truly be a happy wonderful person in the mornings - now I should be named Achey not completely Grumpy in the morning but it hurts today... the storm is tailing off and leaving the area - it did a job on my body - the pains just racked through me yesterday... and this morning I woke to hurting everywhere - somehow I let that 18 wheeler back into the bedroom.. thought I had put up the banned sign but it got through... I have taken my pain meds and waiting for them to kick in... It took about 3 hours yesterday and then the pain eased up for about an hour each time... I sympathize with anyone with RA/OA and FMS or Lupus or aches that get worse with the barometric pressure changes - or aches of any kind...I feel horrific for whining when so many others are worse then I am but I have to get it out of my mind so that I can let it go... so hope you don't mind the whining... but today I just HURT... I want so much to SMILE and have a grin on my face and jump up and say I'll get that but today I wish that there was someone here who would say I'll do it for you... oh that would be too nice this morning...but since I don't I am striving to put it all in the back of my mind... 

China is on my lap keeping me warm - it must be bad as he doesn't grace me with his prescience unless I am not doing good... sweet old man as I know at his age he is huring too - the warmth feels so wonderful if not the weight...:)  

Going to lean back now - wish I could Nap as that would help but I never can - I am going to try and find a movie to take my mind off of my whoas...:)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 913
Points 17,110

Judy, I agree the lady must be unhappy so she's trying to make others around her unhappy too.  I have a younger sister who is that way.  We, my other 2 sisters & I, generally just ignore her or say "that's your opinion" or "I don't agree" & leave it at that.  We know she's wrong & just trying to rile us!  

Bonita, as usual your quilt is lovely.  You always do great work.  I love black & white quilts too.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,183
Points 18,165
weezee56 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 8:59 AM

Bonita, Love your quilt and your book choice.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Bonita. What a beautiful quilt!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,645
Deb replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 9:11 AM

Bonita , your quilt is very pretty! :)

Thea, very good advice on points .

and here is a prayer and a hug for all today!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 822
Points 13,495

Thea great advice. 

Weezee love them. 

Bonita great job. 

Im in FL. Flights were good. It's hot n humid. Surprised I don't have a migraine. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 498
Points 10,010
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:50 AM

I been busy getting the quilting done on my friends quilt, and finally finished the main body today, I have also been suffering with an inner ear infection that kept me home for 2 days plus my 2 days off, so my mini vaca was enough time to get this done...YEA!!! The borders and binding to go...plus a few threads to tie off

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:27 PM

Oh your Labrynth turned out beautiful - very nice stippling quilting...love it...

Have another tip for quilting... if you are doing a lot of applique' pieces that are alike...

Beth Ferrier taught me this when I learned from her how to do hand applique by machine... she developed a great fusible washaway stabilizer with this one company but the same technique works for fusible applique when I am doing raw edge and a lot of the pieces are the same...

My next project is a kit I have had for a long time with Owls.  It has 16 owls and 4 trees with trunks - very simple pieces but to cut out all 16 individually really hurts my hands... so I did this...

I trace it once - in this case since the owls ears/eyes and feet were so many I did 4 stacks - 2 with the noses... you staple the top piece of each of them - then you cut them out - they will all be the same and you cut way less and they stay together if you are preparing for a later time to work on them...

Below are pictures of my sampler that I am doing - I do not have a picture of it with the sashing and black border on yet because it was folded up ready for me to pres it and so far today standing at my ironing table to press is not happening... doing better then this morning as I can get up and move about but the pain is still quite bad... I know it will go away or actually reduce to allow me to do things but oh my I wish the barometric pressure in this area would ease up - stop changing - I need to live in a bubble - win a million dollars several million so that I could build a home that is sealed and the inside barometric pressure stays constant - I would never leave it...

I doubt that it will get anything done on it today - I am not giving up hope as sometimes late in the evening I am able to sit and sew for a time... but we shall see - I have to sew all the 1 1/2" strips to each side of those stacks of 3 flying geese pieces and then sew them together and sew on the quilt top for the final border... I am not giving up hope but know from past experience when my pain levels are this high that I need to just sit still and put my feet up or I will push myself and be down in bed for several days.  The Sister Missionaries are supposed to be coming by and I have instructed DH that we will have to reschedule with them... I am just not up to sitting and even though I don't have to do anything but sit there I still have to concentrate to talk with them and I am sadly not able to concentrate - just posting this message has taxed me... my head is starting to ache with a severe headache... Oh I hate this!!! Truly Hate this!!!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,832
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 2:29 PM

I finished binding two panel quilts and used binding that i had laying around bad idea for me I do better when i cut my own strips for binding.  Now its on to finishing my colorwheel quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,183
Points 18,165
weezee56 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 3:27 PM

Mamag glad to hear you made it to FL ok.

Jen your quilt looks great.

Thea your block are very pretty.

Is I too like to make binding myself.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 381
Points 8,545
didash replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:33 PM

Well I'm late getting the pic up, but here's the big box of fabric that came the other day.  Surprisingly, DH brought it in as the the UPS man dropped it off, looked at the label and just said, "MORE fabric???"  When I told him I hit a sale I just couldn't resist, he just laughed!  God, I love him!!!

From left to right, it's 50 fat quarters (2 columns), 2 batik charm packs (Jinny Beyer & Benartex Bali) in front of them; 14 yards of batiks, quilt kit in front of those; and 14 yards of Robert Kaufman "luxury" fabrics - most of them have a metallic/shiny element to them....all for $200.  Didn't think that was too bad for all that fabric. The FQs alone if purchased at the LQS would be nearly $150.

Back to cleaning up scraps so I can get quilting on this Christmas gift staring me down...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,183
Points 18,165
weezee56 replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:27 PM

didash:
I've made a couple like the middle one myself but really like the one on the left.  I'm slow on the uptake...where do you sew the dart on that one?
Your fabric you bought looks great. You got a great price too. 

The one on the left. I started with a (2) 10" squares right sides together and place them on a piece of 10" batting. Sew 1/4 " around leaving an opening for turning. I then iron mine to get the edges flat and sew all the way around between 1/8 and 1/4". I also quilt them like the other boxes. This example the dart is 2". See picture

The 45 degree line is on the fold. You do this to all 4 corners. Your darts will be on the inside of the box. keep this in mind if you use two different colors.

Then I pin the dart down all pointing to the right,(easier to sew down). I sew them down using the sew line you did to close the hole.

This box measures 5x5x2 if you would like the box to be deeper make your darts longer, but your box will be a smaller square.

I like this box because I don't have to sew on the buttons, and the darts down by hand. It makes my hands hurt. I hope I didn't leave anything out. Let me know if I did.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 12:26 AM

Judy Taylor-Bellingham:
She quilts a bit, not too much. She examined my star blocks and casually said, with one of those doggie-poo smiles, " Most of your points look good but a couple, well, I just would have had to re-do them. It's such a curse being a perfectionist".

Being a perfectionist is not her curse. It's being ungracious. You're a better woman than I 'cause I would not have been so nice to her.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 1 2014 12:26 AM

Bonita:
I have a finish in the July challenge got it done just in the knick of time. I seem to work better on a deadline.We had to post a book in the picture and since this was a MQ I chose a mystery book.

I love it Bonita.

Page 77 of 140 (2095 items) « First ... < Previous 75 76 77 78 79 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use