Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 36 of 167 (2493 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,492 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,338
Points 30,455
Agnes replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 12:52 PM

Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam:
I am going to ask my Dr if we can try these.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Being on a steady estrogen prescription for a few years gave me my first break in a long continuous headache with secondary headaches above and beyond the one that was always there. I was put on estrogen because of removal of ovaries. Then when I was nearing 65 my doctor took me off the estrogen. Just over a year later, obviously the length of time it took my body to reach a new estrogen low, I had a headache that beat any headache I had experienced previously. That is when I discussed my suspicions of estrogen playing a part. I was put back on estrogen and things leveled out again. When I needed a refill and my doctor was not available, the new doctor was horrified that I was on estrogen and prescribed the amitrpyiline and it has been working well. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 12:53 PM

Thea:
If you really want a flat bat I would suggest buying the quilters dream bat and get the request - it is really thin and will leave your quilt or wall hanging very flat without having to prewash - prewashing bats just scares me...

Thea, Agnes and Springermom, I also would never wash a quilt batt.  If I have a batt that I don't like the feel of or I think needs washing, I put it aside to use later to make dog beds for our daughter's rescue dogs.  She wants mostly thin mats to cushion the cement floors.  Warmth is not necessary in Texas!  I am now using only Quilter's Dream Polyester Request.  It is a very good weight for an all-season quilt.  I just bought a case of Queen batts a few weeks ago (6 to the box).  That will get the quilts done for the graduates and maybe a few throw quilts with the pieces that are left over.  I usually just whip-stitch them together to keep the seam in the right place until the top is quilted.  

The first partially quilted dorm quilt was presented last Saturday to the grand-niece that graduates today.  I have been quilting around the flowers all week and have them 3/4 done.  Thought I could have the quilt done by tomorrow but have had too many Dr. appts, etc that waste valuable quilting time.  Also, my arms can take only about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour of struggling with this heavy quilt.  The quilting on my new machine is so much easier, but I am still getting used to it's quirks (and mine).  Soon I hope to get my motion down to a little smoother.  My stitches now vary from very tiny to 3/8 inches!.  There will be no frogging here, unless I forget the presser-foot lever!!  It is hard to determine when it is down because the foot floats in about the same place whether up or down.  When I forget I get snarls on the back and noises from the machine when it is unhappy with the snarls.  Then the frogging begins.  I am getting better at remembering to lower it.  The Viking was automatic the way I had set it so I forgot what a lever was (it didn't even have one).  I was grabbing for it all the time when I first got that machine.  

I had better get ready for graduation party #2.  Grandson's party is today and Granddaughter's is tomorrow.  We saw them and one of their cousins graduate last night.  Three of the six graduated at our school and one other graduated at another school last night.  A 5th graduates tonight (the one who's party we went to last week and is recipient of the quilt I am finishing now) and the 6th graduated 2 weeks ago. 

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 1:52 PM

Agnes:
Being on a steady estrogen prescription for a few years gave me my first break in a long continuous headache with secondary headaches above and beyond the one that was always there
Agnes and Donna - when they had me down to the diabetes institute in Edmond OK checking my blood levels as I have been hypoglycemic my entire life but at some point they fear that I will go the way my Aunt did and change to brittle diabetes - anyway - stop digressing...:)  I talked with the nutrionist there as I had had headaches for a long long time and they just never seemed to go away - I always considered them alergy headaches... I had had migraines very severe when stationed at Thule Greenland and told her about that too - she told me that she had a unusual way to get rid of my headaches and I said go for it... well she told me to put a little less then a tbsp of peanut butter on toast for my breakfast and see what happened... what happened was my headaches went away - she told me all the reasons for why they would go away but that was over 12 years ago now - but you might try this and see if it helps you too - I have recommended this to several friends and they have had the same results that I have had... you can't lose for trying.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,762
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:51 PM

Agnes:
When I needed a refill and my doctor was not available, the new doctor was horrified that I was on estrogen and prescribed the amitrpyiline and it has been working well.

I've been on elavil and estrogen as well. Elavil worked for a short while but as I got used to it the headaches returned. It also had side effects...

Some of my headaches are hormonal so the estrogen helped but wreaked havoc on other things. My biggest problem has been medication. I am that one in how many ever that gets funky side effects.

I love my current neurologist because he's very conservative with meds.

Anyway; I worked on some free motion embroidery on my long arm today (first try at thread painting). My fabric puckered a lot but that was expected with the muslin I used. The "real" project will be done on linen. I think it's fine for first. I'll post a photo later (camera's charging).

Now to work on some LUS blocks.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 7:19 PM

Didn't get much done on quilt today - chatty daughter from PA came in and I couldn't concentrate on both her and the quilt, so got only 1 1/2 blocks done.  Hope to get to it now after I get in the shower.  Feel very sticky after graduation party this afternoon, so need to get that washed off first.  Grandson hasn't opened his quilt top to see it yet, so will have to get it from him sometime this week to finish it.  Want to get the quilt finished for grand-niece who is having her party July 12th first, then for grand-nephew for the 19th.  Also want to finish first quilt and give it to that grand-niece on one of those dates.  The 2 grandchildren and 3rd grand-niece live close to us so I can get their quilts to them any time before they start college.

Here is a picture taken last night before graduation.  L to R - me, grand-niece who is getting MQ 9, grandson who is getting 3rd deer quilt, granddaughter who is getting blue MQ 8, Rich (who knows who he is looking at! - certainly not the camera!), and his mother - great-grandmother to 3 graduates.  She "zipped her lip" because she was caught with her mouth open in the first picture!!!  Still vain at 100 yrs old! She told her granddaughter who was taking the picture that she would break the camera.  She hates to have her picture taken.  So do I, but sometimes it is necessary for the younger generations to have visible memories.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,217
Points 18,760
weezee56 replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 7:35 PM

Marsha, Very nice family picture.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,762
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 8:06 PM

Love the photo Marsha.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 8:11 PM

Thanks , Marsha for sharing!! Nice picture !

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,762
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 8:18 PM

So here's my first attempt at thread painting:

I've been enrolled in a craftsy class for eons but never made any of the projects. These "mod flowers" are practice before working in the larger project. The centres of the flowers were done with a variegated thread. I need to time my colour change a little better. I decided to use solid colours for the rest it.

Here are the two LUS block I made today:

I'm off to bed. Work at 7AM.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,217
Points 18,760
weezee56 replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 8:49 PM

Kris, nice LUS blocks. Thread painting looks hard. did you use any stabilizer?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,497
Points 417,299
gini replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 9:47 PM

lovely picture of your family, marsha.    if that were sam looking away from the camera, I'd guess there was a pretty girl walking by.   :  ) 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,497
Points 417,299
gini replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 9:49 PM

kris, nice flowers.   you need more stabilizer under them to get rid of the puckering.  love your LUS blocks.  you just keep plugging away on them.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,497
Points 417,299
gini replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:01 PM

I got the blocks sewn together for one more of my wool quilts.  that makes it three down and several to go.  we got home late Friday night after three weeks on vaca with the grands.   we had a great time, but I am still tuckered.    I found in the mail a 40% coupon to the quilt shop in CD'A  that expires tomorrow, so I made a trip to the city this afternoon.  tomorrow is the iron man competition there and there would be too many cars to make that a fun trip.   I needed quilting threads for three quilts  and backing for one of them.  I got some sparkle threads for some thread painting I need to do on the challenge quilt.   oh and some border fabric, then I saw a BOM in the store I have had my eye on.  I got  the five of them they had cut for 40% off, that was nice.  then after I had paid, I found a layer cake I couldn't live without,  she honored the coupon I had already used. very nice of her.   a stop at joann's where I "saved" $56   :  0     was it really a savings?   my iron died and the thrifts were out so I had to spring for a new one. I got a spool holder, a stuff holder, some crystals, rotary blades now I'm poor again.  good grief this is one expensive hobby.  my floor lamp died, I was going to look for one of those, but I forgot.  no evening sewing for me until I replace it. dang.

june has been one hectic month for me,  now,  sam is on notice that I have several quilts to finish for our guild show in august and I am doing nothing else until they  are finished.  the man is a saint for putting up with me.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:08 PM

Kris - love the halloween blocks - sweet... 

Try Vilene for a stablizer - I have found that I love it since I discovered it about 10 years ago - it is water soluble / opaque - feels like fabric - you can fold it over for something like thread painting and it is gone afterwards.  I have tried lots of stabilizers and found that it works for everything - you can put it on top of the fabric for pieces that you want the thread to stand up on and underneath for the satin stitching that I do on my applique' - works great when I used my embroidery machine too!

Marsha - awesome picture - I don't like having my picture taken either - I see the picture and it just doesn't look like me to me... :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:13 PM

Here are the placemats and candle mats that I have been working on - Candle mats are in the middle the ones with the stars on them... I didn't put stars on the placemats as I thought they might make the placemats bumpy where the applique' is  - I am going to make some napkins now to go with these and I already have the table runner done but the binding on it isn't finished yet - I am doing it by hand... I did the bindings on these all by machine... small pieces are easy to do this way  - just lots of pins!

• | Post Points: 80
Page 36 of 167 (2493 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use