Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 15 of 101 (1507 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,506 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 752
Points 11,960

Judy poor DH. Hope it's a fast recovery. I am pooped. Finished the Young Women's Banner. The canvas kicked my butt. But this thing has everything embroidery appliqué grommets. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865

Bonita:

Judy, glad your DH is doing so well. I remember the Tin project, I'd like to see your progress.

Bonita, if you're familiar with Vintage Tin pattern, you'll notice I've made some major changes. I wanted to make it "local". The car and bridge scene is the same except I added the name of a local river to a sign.

I changed the gas station to one of my grandparents homestead in 1905. That's my grandparents and eldest aunt in front of the cabin he built. Route 66 became HWY 99 and the motorcycles are now the tower of our local, historic theater. I'm almost finished with that one. I'll keep the block with the BBQ and all the old cars the same. Except, I'll change the sign from Barbeque to Anne's Store in honor of my grandmother. Even the license plate blocks will be slightly changed to be from Washington and Oregon with authentic license plate numbers. 

I'm changing most of the other embroidered blocks also. Even the one that says Speed Limit 45, I'm changing to Speed Limit 25.  I have all the pieces cut out for the flying geese and stars that make up the rest of the quilt top. I don't know if the fabrics shows up too well in the photo. The neutrals are actually more tan.

I love the original pattern. In fact, I like it better than what I'm doing. But I really wanted this to be local scenes.

I have a long ways to go on this project. Hope to finish it in, oh, maybe another 2 years.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,733
Points 66,615
Bonita replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:21 PM

Judy, you've done a lot since you last posted it. I love the old homestead with your family out front, did you work from a picture of the home or just from the way you think it would look. Either way it looks great.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,733
Points 66,615
Bonita replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:23 PM

Donna, your banner turned out great.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865

Bonita:
did you work from a picture of the home or just from the way you think it would look.

Here's the photo of my grandparents homestead. I used the cabin and reduced the number of people. My grandmother is seated in the photo but standing in the embroidered block. I also used the trees and mountains from the Vintage Tin pattern. There really is a mountain in the background, Mt Baker, you just can't see it in the photo because of the trees.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,080
Points 16,555
weezee56 replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:31 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Vintage Tin pattern
I really like your Vintage Tin patterns, I can understand making the changes you have made.

Mamag your banner looks very nice. 

Judy, I hope your DH gets well soon.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,733
Points 66,615
Bonita replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:32 PM

Thanks for showing the picture Judy, I love old pictures like that. Lots of folks living in that house.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 2,565

Agnes-- Thanks for your input. . Too bad we are so far apart since we seem to  be simular. I  had read about press and seal but not that it was by Glad so that will help find it next time I am out and about.  I got one row of 3 from top to bottom done. Had to take off the freezer paper also too stiff. I usually mark directly onto the quilt , but going from one color , light , medium, and dark, I would have to use different marking for each to see and then not well enough. I thought of tissue paper but thought it too fragle. The freezer paper would have been better if I had used smaller pieces [ lesson learned] . Plus I made the flowers from a 5 X 5 plastic template and made my own leaves . I added butterflies that I drew also.  Seems like no matter what you have its not the size you want. LOL .Took a break and went out to mow the backyard and play with my dog and water my garden. I started sewing when I was 10 , my mother worked evenings I had to keep busy. That was way back before we had T.V.  I am 80 so that was a long time ago. But I am still learning new things. Break time is over, time to get busy.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Points 1,570

I found that the Glad Press N Seal gummed up my needle and caused stitching issues.  "Film" clear water soluble stabilizer works the same and doesn't gum up the needle.  It is definitely more expensive.  If your needle does gum up, an alcohol wipe will clean the needle.  

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,629
gini replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 10:31 PM

Judy, give George my best wishes for a speedy and un eventful recovery.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Judy T-Bellingham:
Hubby is recovering from surgery so I'm home all week with him, and part of the next. Since my sewing room is an alcove off the living room, I can keep him in view and be available to the frequent "Honey, could you get me........"

Judy, I will keep you and your hubby in my T&Ps, hoping he has a complete and uneventful recovery.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,080
Points 16,555
weezee56 replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 10:49 PM

Just finished one more Bear crib quilt.  

I finished the top of Hole in the Wall. The size is only 53 X 70 and trying to decided if I should add a border to make it a little bigger.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865

Wheeze. What great quilts. Love the sweet little bear. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865

Thanks for the well wishes for my hubby. He will be up and around again in no time. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 11:46 PM

Judy I did not know George was ill I will keep him in my prayers  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 15 of 101 (1507 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use