Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 14 of 98 (1457 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,456 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Thanks everyone.  I picked the pattern.  My DD picked the fabric.  She likes green and my DSIL likes helicopters.

Got another row done, almost sliced of my index finger.  Thank goodness for long nails.  Well it isn't long anymore.

Finished Clue #5 for MQ.  All these blocks still remind me of a picnic table cloth.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:32 PM

Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam:
Finished Clue #5 for MQ.  All these blocks still remind me of a picnic table cloth.

This shows what different fabrics do to the same pattern.  Now I can soon get started on this quilt and will see how solid burlap-print fabric in greens and blues looks compared to your colorful fabrics.  I just got my fabrics today from Missouri Star.  Why is my timing so bad?  Today I open an email from them for a "Freaky Friday" special for an order over $100 (this one was $113 before shipping, etc) which includes 5% additional Quilter's Cash Bonus on the whole order!  This type of thing happens to me all the time.  I think they are sending out these sales as soon as I push the submit button for my order!!!  

I fell in love with these burlap-print fabrics after getting a charm pack and decided they would make a good masculine quilt.  I have enough fabric for a much larger quilt.  It seems I now make all my quilts large - - I used to shrink them to about 38 x 42 for wheelchair quilts, now I enlarge them to college dorm bed size.

I spent the last few days cutting 8 inch flower squares and have nearly 200 now cut.  The sashing is also cut for one quilt so I can quickly sew together another if it is needed.  Needed a pattern besides the deer  for boys and hope this Mystery will be one I can do.  I hope one of my old machines will work so I can keep the good one for FMQ of the 5 quilts and play around on the Mystery on the old one.  I hate to keep changing machine settings from FM to regular stitching and I need a change in focus from time to time.  First quilt is needed for next Saturday (Rich just reminded me of that - I just needed a little panic in my life).  I hope to sandwich it tomorrow and get started.  That is the Floral one, so should go quickly.  

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:46 PM

Jen, Your MQ 9 is looking good!  Finally some of the UFO MQ 9s are coming to light as finished quilts.  I hope too work on quilting mine next week as it is for one of the graduates.  I had made it larger at the time for just this purpose but didn't bother to quilt it then.  If I had, I wouldn't have quite so many to finish now.  I am not going to make that mistake again.  While I am in the swing of things with these quilts, I plan to make a few more for next year, if the body holds up.  Had a bad week from last Thursday until Tuesday because I did too much and rested too little.  I need to pace myself better.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 174
Points 2,555

Agnes, I agree Connecting Threads is my favorite also. I have an order on the way right now. Of course I like to see and touch at LQS  also but it usually has to be something I  "can't live without  or something I can't find otherwise.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 174
Points 2,555

tnmtgrl,  I love the soft colors and the teal border. I would love to see the quilting. I printed the directions for MQ9  but haven't got to it yet..

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Marsha WeeZee's colors scheme is blues also and looks great. Can't wait to see yours. I love getting the daily deals. I'm definitely hooked on MSQC. Haven't tried Connecting Threads yet. I did fabric.com but they cut my fabric so messy I gave up on them. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 7:24 AM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:

tnmtgrl,  I love the soft colors and the teal border. I would love to see the quilting. I printed the directions for MQ9  but haven't got to it yet..

Betty..........]Here's a close-up of the quilting, I just used an all over stipple, that's all I am good at right now....still practicing other patterns...did not do the teal border, I am debating whether or not to just do a straight line down the middle of it, this is  my 2nd time to use FMQ on a quilt.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,855
Agnes replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 9:52 AM

Jen--A suggestion for the teal border is rather than make a straight line down the middle, why not give the line slight curves as you quilt? This would carry forward that nice relaxing sense of the stipple.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 174
Points 2,555

tnmtgrl,    Great job on the stippling. I have templates for them , I couldn't do without something to follow or I would probably be crossing over everything. If you wanted to do something on the teal border you could just do a long wavey line , that would be in keeping with the curves. I have done that. I have that stitch on my Bernina 750. I can adjust the length and width which I like. What color is your binding going to be?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 174
Points 2,555

Agnes,   I didn't see your comment on the curvey line before I made my comment.. I guess great minds think alike. LOL     I spent yesterday getting  the freezer paper drawn with my design.  I drew leaves on the cardboard that comes in the fat quarters to make my own templates.[ seems I never have the size I need and always have to make new ones. ]  I am now ready to press a piece on quilt and start quilting. I have never used freezer paper like this so I am hoping it works. I left the freezer paper the full width so each section is 13 1/2 X 18 inches. I am only going to press one piece at a time. Pray for me.....I may need it .   As they say nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,070
Points 16,400
weezee56 replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 12:57 PM

Here is my clue #5 got it done yesterday ,but had my DGS#1 most of the day and didn't get it posted.Only have one more clue to go and I don't have many pieces left. I hope I counted right.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,570
Points 118,500

Hubby is recovering from surgery so I'm home all week with him, and part of the next. Since my sewing room is an alcove off the living room, I can keep him in view and be available to the frequent "Honey, could you get me........"

But it's surprising what I've gotten accomplished. I've finished a flag wall hanging with cats appliqued on the front and fireworks quilted in. I have the binding attached to the front and just have to hand stitch it to the back. I'll do that this evening while we're watching TV. I'll post a photo when done.

While sitting at the hospital with him for three days, I also did quite a bit of embroidery on my Vintage Tin project, which I'd set aside a year or two ago.

Just gave him a pain pill; he has his coffee, the TV remote and a bowl of grapes. I'm off to the grocery store and pharmacy for some supplies. In spite of one semi-emergency run to the doctor with him yesterday, it's been going very smoothly.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 4:20 PM

Judy, I am sorry to hear that DH had to have surgery this week, but I guess there are blessings mixed in if you got so much done on your quilting and embroidery.  Hope that the rest of his recovery is uneventful.       Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,273
Points 28,855
Agnes replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 4:41 PM

Betty--I will share a few things I have done and learnt on my quilting journey, because I can't free motion without something to follow, worth a hoot. I would print or trace my patterns on paper and then attach. I always hated fighting with the paper while quilting. I then saw that gals were tracing their patterns on Glad Press and Seal. I found I liked that much better but it still was time consuming tracing everything and then having to remove something. I was using children's washable markers in some of my other fabric arts like cross stitching and regular embroidery, always without problem. I started using the computer to size and print the templates on card stock. Then I used this template and laid it on the quilt and traced around it with the washable markers. I like the variety of colors having found the best choice to buy is the original bolder colors. When the quilt is done I wash it and don't even have to be careful of temperature. In fact it washes out quicker in warm rather than cool water. So far i have used Crayola brand exclusively and buy them in Aug during back to school sales

Great to see that great minds think alike.

Judy--Enjoy working on the Vintage Tin while overseeing hubby's recovery. Speedy recovery to him.

Donna and weezee--Looking to see the mystery quilt unfold.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,724
Points 66,480
Bonita replied on Sat, Jun 14 2014 6:38 PM

Judy, glad your DH is doing so well. I remember the Tin project, I'd like to see your progress.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 14 of 98 (1457 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use