Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 11 of 114 (1705 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,704 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,305
MizPat replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:49 PM

Beth, have you tried a different layout? I'm thinking one of the reasons you might not like it is that the layout is unbalanced. Try a 5 block wide by however many rows and see if you like it better.

I agree with whoever suggested black sashing. It will make the blocks seem brighter.

Another thing you might try is making the "Hidden Wells" design, in which all four parts of the block are from  the same strip set, making the block be squares inside squares.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,305
MizPat replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:57 PM

Marsha-SM, wanted to tell you I think all of your quilts are beautiful! You've put a lot of care and love into each of these quilts.

Just wish I could get the stamina to work on my UFOs. They are sitting in their respective containers whispering loudly, "finish me!". The chatter is getting to me but I don't have what it takes to silence it!

Slowly, I'll work on them, one at a time, until I get them finished, starting with the quilt I started 19 years ago for my elder son's wedding. Maybe I can finish it before their 20th anniversary gets here next year!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 5:30 PM

Marsha thanks for the mini quilt show. I really like the attic windows. Nice work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 5:31 PM

Beth:
I need some input from anyone who wants to weigh in on a "string quilt" (sometimes called a strip quilt) that I'm working on right now.

I like the colours. I agree that a new layout might do the trick for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,686
Points 120,745

Marsha. Love the fabrics in your MQ8. It is still my favorite pattern of all the MQ's

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,765
Points 67,060
Bonita replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 5:39 PM

WOW, Marsha, you sure have been busy.Love, love all the quilts, but the deer panel one really caught my eye.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

Wow Marsha you have been quite busy.  Great job on all the quilts.

Thanks Deb.

Epic fail on first Foundation Piece Block.  Try again tomorrow.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 6:33 PM

Marsha, Awesome quilts - you have been so very busy.  It was great to see the pictures around your home too!  Makes me kind of homesick.  Great work!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 190
Beth replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 9:20 PM

Deb, the dark color that is in the blocks is a dark brown.  Do you think black would go with that, or should I use more dark brown?  

MizPat, I will try that layout and see how I like it.  I will have to look up the Hidden Wells design, as I am not familiar with it.  

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,645
Deb replied on Wed, Jun 11 2014 5:18 AM

Beth , the brown might work , the thing I would think about  is ,the brown in the blocks wondering into your sashing taking away from the block design. Black would go.

lay some of your blocks on top of the brown fabric , to see what happens. 

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 11 2014 6:36 AM

Beth, I like these string quilts -  you can use up so many long binding pieces - or for me the left over binding pieces in something like this.  I have been sitting here staring at your pictures... and for what it is worth...

I would sash with a Red - I am not sure if I would do cornerstones or just sashing but thought of a small string block in the corner stones... then on the outside I think my first border would be a light blue or a dark blue  - depending on if you are going to do a 2 or 3 fabric border - if 2 - light blue and then a dark maybe brown - and if a 3 fabric - a dark color to stop the eye from the center - a light - I would if you had some of one of the prints left - put that as the middle and then whatever is your favorite color on the outside...

To me this quilt screams Reds to me... I wouldn't use a light color - that to me would bring it down and it wants to stand out.

Great job sewing all those strips together!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 11 2014 6:45 AM

Marsha - I have been looking back over your quilts - I absolutely love the deer quilt and might make a similar to that for my son - he wants me to make him a wild life qulit - although he says he wants One with Bears, One with Elk, One with Deer...etc... I was thinking of putting them all into one... have been gathering wild life fabrics for a couple years till I found - or designed something to do with them.

Right now am almost done with the satin stitching on Dog Park - have 2 blocks left to go and of course still have to make that 3D tug of war toy - but did read her instructions on it yesterday - just haven't pulled the fabric to make it up - it is on the agenda for today...

I was sitting here when i woke this morning thinking about what I do each day... When I was working I would have been up and showered and out the door already with my day planned by someone else... now for 12 years now I get up when I want to - I did schedule my days for a few years just to keep myself from stagnating with nothing ness - but when my sickness got worse I just let things happen as they happen... I wake and do range of motion exercises and listen to my cats purr for at least an hour - till finally their saying "got milk" is enough that I get up and feed the brood... Mochie has this meow that sounds like a trill and she was in this morning - I don't get to have her company very often so it is a treat when she comes in - she laid up on the back of the headboard and patted my head and purred this mornign... 

Then up it was and make the bed as I hate looking at a messy bed - to me means a messy life and can't handle that... adn now am in my chair - tv on playing tennis... and going to switch to see the news shortly - after I check my email - all those advertisements - not much interesting... and of course, the eye candy here at QCA... that is the best part of the morning for me ...

Not sure what else is on the platter... tomorrow have to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. for another procedure on my back to see if they can get me some relief for a month or so - then the eye doctor at 1 p.m.  probably new glasses ordered so I can see again... for now - my pop tart breakfast is calling along with my hands are saying haven't you beat us up enough with your typing... enough already...:)

So a warm quilty hug to all!  May you have a blessed day!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,645

Today I'll finish hand stitching a binding. Then, finally I'll decide on the pattern for a table topper or runner for my son/dtr-in-law's new dining room table. I have three in mind, but keep wavering when trying to choose. I've had the fabrics for a couple years because they were perfect for their decor style and home colors. Think I'll save it for a part of their Christmas gifts when finished. Once I get that decided and started I'll probably add another project to alternate between. Sometimes I get tired of working on one or have trouble and need to leave it sit for awhile to think about.  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:43 PM

Springermom--It used to be that when something caught my eye I would have to try it. This resulted in a pile of UFOs. I have in the past year or so tried to keep it to two projects, max, at a time. Sometimes a third will sneak in. Sometimes that change is just necessary.

My quilting could be taking a bit of a slow down for a little while. I just received my Canon Rebel camera. I am now looking forward to being able to play with my photos, both while taking them and then on computer. Went out for about 45 minutes this morning. Had fun getting up close and personal to bees on flowers. Did a bit of this type of stuff some years back with a very similar 35 mm camera. Looking forward to more of it now with the digital. 

Quilting wise I am working at a "use up the fabric" project. This sure is keeping the brain functioning. Between the fabrics and varying amounts I have managed to eek out 35 6" blocks, in the same pattern but three different color variations. My current challenge is to make a layout that will be somewhat balanced.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,645

Agnes, your new camera sounds like a lot of new fun for you, especially in your new surroundings!

I agree with you that trying to keep the projects in control is sometimes hard. I'm always seeing something I want to make and nevermind that I already have several on my plate. So it goes, I guess.

Today I finished the quilted throw for a friend. Hope she likes it! I searched far and wide, from OR to NY for fabrics that would help me with the theme of spring in her home state of TN. Finding magnolias was very difficult, but finally found some, altho not my favorite. The dogwood fabric had been discontinued long ago, but found some in a little shop in NY! Sorry that the display is not so good.. no where really to hang it now that it's done and kind of heavy.   

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 50
Page 11 of 114 (1705 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use