Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 10 of 170 (2543 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,542 Replies | 47 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:48 PM

Mamags,Love the simplicity of this quilt!! 

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 11:46 AM

Ginny:

I agree regarding the hemostat, Agnes.  I frequently have to use a small pliers to pull my needle thru when I am quilting by hand.  When your thumbs have arthritis you rely on different methods to get where you want to go.   Ginny

I also have used a hemostat and a small set of needle nose pliers.  The hemostat is best for harder to pull needles as it locks on the needle.  My pliers have a spring that will flip in place when I want the handles to spring open and not have to release the lock of the hemostat.  This works better for the needles that need just a little help.  Most of the time I am able to pull needles without either, but should at least put them in my traveling kit.  Sometimes I run into a tightly woven fabric that I need help with.  These old arthritic hands need all the help they can get sometimes.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 12:03 PM

I finally got quilt top #4 finished last night.  I pushed myself too far last week and have been in a nasty Fibro Flare ever since.  I had enough energy today to get 2 quilts pictured.  Need to get 2 more hung and pictured if the weather cooperates.  We are on the weather roller coaster this week - sun one minute and threatening rain and wind the next.  

Here is Quilt #4 -  Grandson's Hunter's I Spy

and Quilt #5 - Floral Quickie

This quilt top just took 4 days from unwashed fabric to finished top.  It is the same size as the others, about 70 x 100' long enough for long college dorm beds.  I hope to get the other 2 tops and 5 x 5 section from LUS pictured later today, if my strength holds out.  I never take naps and usually can't even get to sleep during the day, but I took 1 hr naps both yesterday and today.  I actually slept, but didn't feel any more rested when I got up.  I need to pace myself a little better, but my deadline is closing in fast.  I need #5 finished by the 21st and #1 (Blue MQ 8, pictured earlier) and #4 finished by the 28th.  Wish me luck.  Of course  I can just present the top and backing and then finish them before college starts in August.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,720

Oh my gosh, Marsha, these are incredible. I especially love the wildlife window box quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 817
Points 15,545

Wow, Marsha! Those are beautiful quilts! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 1:07 PM

Marsha, their so lovely!!! You did a lovely job!!

Deb

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 1:57 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Oh my gosh, Marsha, these are incredible. I especially love the wildlife window box quilt.

Thanks, Judy and everyone else for their comments.  The 3 quilts I have pictured so far (MQ8 and these 2) are some of my favorites.  The wildlife quilt is one of 3 I have made for grandsons and grand nephews.  I have enough blocks cut out and another panel to make one more to have on hand for the future.  I wish I could find more of these panels as I have had requests for these quilts.  If I could keep up with the top making as I have the past few months, I could sell them, but I never know how  I will feel, so can't promise any one a finished quilt.  

The floral quilt is another favorite and as I said before, one of the fastest to do.  I have 60 or more different florals or butterflies on hand to make many more.  I just heard yesterday that I may need another for another grand niece.  I thought she was graduating this year, but her aunts said next year.  Her family has scheduled a graduation party for her for the 22nd, but she doesn't have enough credits to graduate yet.  She has to go to summer school to get the required credits.  This is a touchy one.  We haven't been invited yet, just saw her great-grandmother's invitation.  I am cutting out flower squares this afternoon to have a kit ready just in case I need it.  This nephew has been a little outside the family because of what he has done in the past and is still doing.  His 3 sisters call him their "used-to-be brother".  I feel sorry for his children - they have 7 - 3 are adopted.  I feel they should have quilts like the rest of their cousins, but others feel differently.  Our family, except for this nephew, are very, very close with all of us, so it is a difficult situation to be in.  This nephew and his 3 sisters lived next door to us and all 9 (including our 5) grew up like brothers and sisters.  I felt like I was mother to all, so that makes it doubly hard.  His children haven't had the same closeness.  This nephew hasn't come to many family gatherings so the younger generation has missed out on the closeness with these 7 as they have with the others in the family.  The nephew lives about 3 miles from us, so that isn't the problem.  He is also the nephew that milked cows in our barn until he went bankrupt for the 2nd time last year.  

Sorry for airing the family's dirty laundry, but this really bothers me a lot.  All should be able to be treated the same no matter the actions of their parents.  They didn't chose the situation or parents.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:08 PM

Last 2 finished top (or almost finished)

This is a little smaller because this grand nephew is commuting to a local school near where he lives, so I thought a throw size would be better for him.  I picked the fish fabric for this Mystery because I needed one for a boy.  This nephew is half Indian and my sister-in-law said the choice is perfect because fish are special to them.

I thought this quilt top was done until I hung it up.  It needs a border and I have enough of the light lavender (which is really this light) to add enough to make this larger.  I guess I figured the enlarged, finished size wrong.  This is MQ 9 Tranquility.  

I just had to add this next picture.  This is the tree I used to hang up quilts last year for pictures.  It would have been beautiful to use it again, but I decided I both my stepladder and I were too shakey to climb that high again.  Hanging quilts over the deck is a lot safer, since I have reset the swing frame so that it doesn't hang out so far and is more stable.

Now I have to get to putting borders on Tranquility and sandwiching and quilting these tops.  Last year's quilts were practice, so I hope this year will go faster.  I will get back in the swing of things with the floral squares - outlining and detailing flowers to practice my shakey skills. This is the first quilt needed.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:22 PM

This is copied from the closed thread so that all 5 quilts will be together.  This was posted back in May.

"Finally, here is one quilt top picture.  I have been fighting the weather and losing for a week!  Now my strength and balance have left for a while so won't try to take pictures of the other 2 that are done  until I get a safer system.  The one I used in the tree last year is too high for my one remaining step ladder, so had to rig up a system on the deck using the swing frame with swing removed and 2 picnic benches.  I put the back legs up on the benches and tipped the frame toward the railing.  I just secured it with bungee cords and that is not very stable.  Need to tie the frame to the railing with rope so that it doesn't move back and forth with the stretch of the cords.  The ladder is too short for here and not close enough to the frame top which extends beyond the railing.  I hung this quilt, sort of, and took a picture but was too shakey and exhausted to do the others.  Need to buy a better ladder and tie more securely before doing more.  The rain is threatening again and the wind is gusting, so it is hard to keep quilt flat enough for a picture, but here it is - MQ 8 - the second time around.  

All 60 animal attic windows blocks are finished, trimmed and ready for the 4th quilt.  I need to starch and press the deer panel and add the borders to it then this quilt will be ready for final assembly.  I looked out fabrics for the 5th quilt this morning and probably will do a 3 color pattern.  Need to wash and press fabrics and get started cutting tomorrow.  I still have my break from trucking, so have to work fast this week.

If this old body holds out, it should take only 2 to 3 days to quilt each quilt, so maybe I will make the end of June deadline for at least this quilt and the deer quilt.  Maybe I can get all 5 done!!!!!  My sewing machine and I just have to hold together until they are done."

The resetting of the swing set raised the top bar.  I should re-picture this top on a less windy day, but will take a picture when it is quilted.  Now all 5 quilt tops are together and now I have to FMQ them.  Also have to make another floral for the 6th.  I think she needs a quilt also.  

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 195
Beth replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:52 PM

Wow Marsha S-M, you have made some really beautiful quilts.  Thanks for sharing those pictures.  I'm inspired!  

I need some input from anyone who wants to weigh in on a "string quilt" (sometimes called a strip quilt) that I'm working on right now.  I don't like the way it's looking.  I'm not sure why, I just don't like it.  Too busy maybe?  Here it is so far, up on my design wall.  (Ignore the random, black lines  - that is a ribbon I pinned to the wall to divide it into sections for another quilt I made, and I just left it up there.)  Each large block is made up of four smaller blocks.  I thought I would put sashing between the rows in some kind of neutral - maybe beige? - and then borders in the same color, kind of like it looks right now up on the wall. Would anyone care to offer any suggestions on what I might do to make this look better?  I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,945
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 3:56 PM

Marsha both quilt look great.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,945
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:03 PM

Marsha-SM:

MQ 8 - the second time around.  

Love your M8 this is one of my favorite MQ's. Your colors are great.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:19 PM

Beth, I wonder what black would look like? Would it make the colors pop instead of sorta blending into the beige? 

Deb

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:22 PM

Marsha, oh I love the colors and pattern on this MQ8 quilt!!!

Deb

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 2,350
MizPat replied on Tue, Jun 10 2014 4:42 PM

Marsha-SM:

I have 60 or more different florals or butterflies on hand to make many more. I just heard yesterday that I may need another for another grand niece. I thought she was graduating this year, but her aunts said next year. Her family has scheduled a graduation party for her for the 22nd, but she doesn't have enough credits to graduate yet. She has to go to summer school to get the required credits. This is a touchy one. We haven't been invited yet, just saw her great-grandmother's invitation. I am cutting out flower squares this afternoon to have a kit ready just in case I need it. This nephew has been a little outside the family because of what he has done in the past and is still doing. His 3 sisters call him their "used-to-be brother". I feel sorry for his children - they have 7 - 3 are adopted. I feel they should have quilts like the rest of their cousins, but others feel differently. Our family, except for this nephew, are very, very close with all of us, so it is a difficult situation to be in. This nephew and his 3 sisters lived next door to us and all 9 (including our 5) grew up like brothers and sisters. I felt like I was mother to all, so that makes it doubly hard. His children haven't had the same closeness. This nephew hasn't come to many family gatherings so the younger generation has missed out on the closeness with these 7 as they have with the others in the family. The nephew lives about 3 miles from us, so that isn't the problem. He is also the nephew that milked cows in our barn until he went bankrupt for the 2nd time last year.

Sorry for airing the family's dirty laundry, but this really bothers me a lot. All should be able to be treated the same no matter the actions of their parents. They didn't chose the situation or parents.

Marsha-SM I agree with you, all the younger generation deserve to be treated equal. They shouldn't be snubbed because of their father's behavior. His sisters shoulldn't judge you because you are being a loving great-aunt to these kids. You do what your heart tells you is right, the rest of the family not withstanding.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Page 10 of 170 (2543 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use