Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 5 of 100 (1488 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,487 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

.I think thread is somewhat of a personal machine thing. I have a lot of CT thread in luscious colors. It didn't work well for quilting in my machine. It would continually break. I tried every thread I could find and didn't have much luck for quilting. I took my machine in to the tech twice complaining that the thread was breaking and it didn't help. Finally I took a Craftsy class with Leah Day. She has the same machine as I have and said she used Issacord thread for everything and never has a problem. Horrors! It is a poly thread and we all know the Quilt Police say you can't use poly thread on cotton fabric. Well, Leah does so I gave it a try. That ended my breakage issues. She says the cotton thread can't stand up tp the heat of quilting. I know a lot of people who can quilt with cotton thread without any issues so I don't think that is true. I do know that MY Janome 7700 won't quilt with any of the cotton thread I have used for whatever reason. I won't switch to another thread for quilting unless someone gives me a really good reason. Another advantage to the Issacord is lack of lint. That was the one thing I really dislike about CT Essentials. I use it for piecing and keep my vacuum by the machine to de-lint often.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 745
Points 11,835

I think your right Pat.  Thread is a personal thing.  Whatever my machine wants it gets.  LOL..

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 4,470

Well, my binding is only about 1/3 stitched to the top and I've set it aside until tomorrow. When I started to pin it to the starting point, I just did not like it. Good grief. It is the same fabric that I had used for the backing, and I like it there, but it just didn't work against the outside border on the front. So, back to  cutting/sewing/pressing new strips from leftovers of another fabric that I had used in piecing. Now I'm happy. So it goes with quilting. I'm already getting ready for my SIL to laugh and tell me how picky I am!! And truth be told, she's correct! LOL. On the positive side, I have some extra fabric and a lovely border strip all ready to go for another quilt one day! Hey hey!! I'll be ahead on that one!      

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 190
Beth replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:48 PM

Thea, thank you so much!  I will have to look at my spool of Aurafil to make sure what it is. I appreciate the information of the other weights of thread.   

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 190
Beth replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:56 PM

Hello, weezee56:  On the September MQ, I went back to see where I found that information, and it was actually not on a "thread,"

it is on the Admin Blog » The 1st Admin Post! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:01 PM

I completed 1 LUS block today, only 14 left and all of the blocks will be completed.  Then it will be time to take out the Dear Jane of the Garden Party Applique.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,334
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:27 PM

Good job Karla - I satin stitched on Dog Park for 5 hours and have about 50 hours to go before I might be close to being done - but it allows my mind to wander and think about things... so was a good meditation day.  One of these days I'll get all my dear jane blocks out and figure out where I am... one of these days!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 7:18 AM

Today, I think I'm going to try to sew the next row on the quilt...row 9 is complete and I think the sashing and posts are cut, so maybe that won't require too much "brain" work during the baby's nap times.  When I start a block, I hate to be interrupted and Kaylee always picks that time to decide she needs my attention.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 4,470

Today's plan is to finish sewing the binding to the top. Beyond that, who knows. Good luck with little Kaylee today, Karla. I don't know how you get any sewing done, you're so busy with your "grands" and keeping your household together! You must be exhausted by the end of every day!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 10:36 AM

Yes, and that is why I don't get any sewing done in the evening...today, I got up at 5 am and had one LUS block made before Kaylee got here, and have managed to get another made while she is napping.  I guess this will have to be my routine for awhile.  My DD is on vacation next week, so maybe I'll be able to get some of these projects at least caught up if not done.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 745
Points 11,835

Karla can you post a pic of one of your LUS blocks.  I would love to see them.

Today I think I'm going to make some BOM blocks.  

I need batting & fabric paper sheets & rick rack.  But I am grounded from purchasing anything for two weeks.  :(

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 367
Points 7,255
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 11:26 AM

I got 1 row of Chloe's quilt done today...hoping to get another done before bedtime...they will be here in 3 weeks! Have to hurry!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 745
Points 11,835

Love it Jen. Do have a long/mid arm or is this free motion?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 12:15 PM

Pat Lancaster:
I have a lot of CT thread in luscious colors. It didn't work well for quilting in my machine. It would continually break. I tried every thread I could find and didn't have much luck for quilting. I took my machine in to the tech twice complaining that the thread was breaking and it didn't help. Finally I took a Craftsy class with Leah Day. She has the same machine as I have and said she used Issacord thread for everything and never has a problem. Horrors! It is a poly thread and we all know the Quilt Police say you can't use poly thread on cotton fabric. Well, Leah does so I gave it a try. That ended my breakage issues.

Pat,

I mainly use cotton for piecing but anything goes for quilting. My "Country Nights" was quilted with Rayon left over from and embroidery project.

CT makes a poly thread for quilting but it's not my favourite. I bought some Isacord at MQX but haven't tried it yet. If my new machine ever gets here I'll let you know what I think.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 12:17 PM

Karla:

I completed 1 LUS block today, only 14 left and all of the blocks will be completed.  Then it will be time to take out the Dear Jane of the Garden Party Applique.

WTG Karla. 

Page 5 of 100 (1488 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use