Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 4 of 186 (2776 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,775 Replies | 49 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Interesting point, Gini and Kris! I had not considered that. Presencia is a thread sold by my LQS, and also Gutterman. I have purchased both when I was in a pinch and no time to order. Both are nice threads. I can understand the point made by Agnes, that not only does she like CT threads, but with her mostly charity and donation work, and the added costs of all products in Canada, cost savings is important. Cannot imagine the cost of a spool of Aurifil there! Have you seen it anywhere, Agnes? Would be interesting to know cost of a spool. CT threads are durable, feed well through my machine, and come in really gorgeous colors. My machine was serviced just a couple months ago, and I did not think to ask about lint buildup, but will, next time around. Good information from all! Thanks!! 

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 11:31 PM

Thea love the bag.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 8:36 AM

SpringerMom:
Cannot imagine the cost of a spool of Aurifil there! Have you seen it anywhere, Agnes? Would be interesting to know cost of a spool.

Springer Mom - there is a shop in Canada that I buy it and have it sent to the states... they are selling out now but still have some - it is $3 a spool and to have it sent to me with the shipping costs - my last order I got 12 spools of the 1000 m Aurfil - they only had the 40wt left in the colors I ordered but that was okay with me - it is just a tiny bit heavier then the 50/2 - it is a 40/2 and I got 5 spools of a new Italian thread that they are going to carry - it is Genziana - it has 1300m per spool and doesn't say on the spool but I remember it to be 50/2 when I was reading about it on their page - the total cost with shipping was $105 so that is roughly 6.14 per spool.  I can't beat that here in the states so if Agnes wanted to try it she could contact them they are right there in Canada...

I did a google search a couple years ago when I was searching for Aurifil threads and found a store here in the states that at that time sold it for $7 a spool - and if you bought $100 worth of merchandise you got free shipping  - that was easy for me to do with the price of the aurifil and the amount I used to go through with the # of quilts I used to make a year.  His price has gone up to I think $9 a spool with same shipping costs - merchants complained in the area that he was undercutting them so aurifil told him to raise his price or they wouldn't merchandise with him... surprised me as this is supposed to be free market - I guess all the advertising I did here for him brought it to the attention of merchants... they should lower their prices and compete the way they are supposed to for the business... 

Anyway, I did another google search the next year and found the place in Canada... they do these bags of thread that they put together and I needed some red threads at the time... I got 12 spools of Aurifil red threads for $25 - now I just couldn't beat that so I keep going back to them but now sadly they are not going to carry it anymore so only have what is left in stock -s o I bought some this last time and bought the Genziana to try it and see what I think - I'll report on it when I open it up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 8:40 AM

Thank you Kris, it was harder then I thought it would be - or my brain isn't comprehending patterns like it once did - but I got it done... I am starting a new one but have to run to the store and get some zippers for the next ones... that one could have had a zipper put in the top - it was optional and as tired as I was with making it decided to opt out...;)  It was difficult to make as you had areas that you sewed through putting on the strap that had 6 pieces of fabric and 2 pieces of fusible - my machine trudged through it... but at times I wasn't sure if I would get all that under the 1/4" foot I was using...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,910

Going to try n insert a fabric design in the middle of DH Fathers Day quilt. Wish me luck. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 9:52 AM

I just was on a pile of Canadian shop sites that carry Aurafil threads. The piecing thread I am using might not be as fine quality as Aurafil sounds it might be. But it sounds like it is very similar in weight, etc. Reading their information they recommend the heavier weights for quilting. Between all my current stock of threads, Marathon for piecing and Essentials (CT) for quilting, I may never have to buy thread again unless I want a specific color for quilting a particular project. I did look at Aurafil thread at a booth at the quilt show and I will say I choked at the price and kept on walking. The Marathon thread I use for piecing produces less lint than the Essentials but the lint does not present a problem with my machine as I can clean every nook and cranny myself. In fact I spoke to a sewing machine technician who told me my particular machine was so easy to service and adjust that anyone with a little savvy didn't need to have to ever take it to a technician. Following that I got the service manual through online sources and I am set for life.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,910

Ok well this is how my DH's Jelly Roll Quilt top came out.  At least its lap size now.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,240
Points 19,255

Thea cute purse.

Mamag, DH's jelly roll came out very pretty.

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,875

I got my binding strips cut yesterday, and today got them sewn together and pressed... ready to sew to the front tomorrow. Then I'm putting a hold on the work until my UFO group meets Friday. I plan to do the handstitching while there. I can talk and handstitch without problem. I've learned tho that I cannot talk and cut pieces... I get distracted and make mistakes that leave me with "do-overs". Doubt I'll get the binding done Friday, but at least make a dent in it. Tomorrow I need to clean house. And straighten up my work room.  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 195
Beth replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:27 AM

Hello ladies:  I'm new to QCA and just browsing around.  I've been quilting for about 2 years, am self-taught, and also a "rebel" quilter.  I don't aim for perfection - I'll probably never win any awards, but my family loves everything I've made for them, and that's all that matters to me. I make up my own patterns all the time and enjoy being creative. I also enjoy learning from other quilters and seeing their work. I happened to find this thread and thought I would leave a couple of comments.  

@Thea:  What weight of Aurifil thread do you think is good for quilting?  I am using my first ever spool of Aurifil for piecing and I don't even know what weight it is!  But it is darn good thread, I know that!  And it does seem to last longer in the bobbins.  I wonder how long the spool itself will last - but I know it is something I will definitely buy again.  

@Springermom:  I love the quote on your posts about 'the love in my dog's eyes.'  I have a Cavalier who is my third child, and he is my constant companion, whom I talk to regularly, especially when quilting.  He always understands it when I grumble out loud about having to rip something out.  ;)

Is anyone interested in doing a Mystery Quilt?  I saw on that thread where a new one might be starting up this September.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:31 AM

Agnes:
Marathon for piecing and Essentials (CT) for quilting, I may never have to buy thread again unless I want a specific color for quilting a particular project.

I don't have any luck quilting with the CT Essentials 50 weight, but I do use it for piecing.  In my enthusiasm when I started quilting, I bought several collections of the CT for quilting, but it breaks all of the time when quilting on my midarm.  I now use 40 wt. Signature.  I have to say I haven't tried Aurufil.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 248,562
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:52 AM

Beth, Welcome to QCA - I normally use 50/2 in the aurifil for my piecing.  The last aurifil I bought from Canada was 40/2 - it isn't for piecing though I am going to use it in my satin stitching - it is a little heavier - just a tiny tiny bit then the 50.  If you look on the bottom of your spool it will give you the wt of your aurifil thread on that little piece of white paper that gives you the # of the color.  Hopefully, you don't have the 28 or the 12 - those are both way to thick for normal piecing - those are used for embroidery or doing decorative work on the top of your quilt or other work.

I am not sure if they are doing a mystery quilt this year or not - but usually we have 2 a year - and it starts in September for the next one.  A couple ladies are doign the mystery from Missouri Quilt Company.  I have too many projects on my plate right now to start another quilt - I need to finish up what I am doing...

Again, Welcome!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Wed, Jun 4 2014 9:36 AM

Thea, your bag looks great!!

Mamags,and your jelly roll quilt is so scrappy and shines with warmth!!!I love Scrappy quilts!!

I haven't been woking on piecing tops, I decided that it is high time I made some dust bunny move on!!  when I get it clean then I get to make a mess again!! :))

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,910

Welcome Beth.  You are going to love this site.  I'm one of the ladies doing the MQ on the MSQC site.  Its fun so far.  Wouldn't be too hard to catch up.  They post clues every Friday morning at 10am PST.  We just finished Clue #3 and there will be 3 left. Can't wait for the one here to start,

Deb, That was the first jelly roll I did.  Had to add those big brown scraps cause the roll I got was way to small. I did another one yesterday for my mom's birthday.  Still have the applique and rick rack to put on, as well as borders and such. It will be a memorial quilt in honor of my Daddy who passed away suddenly of a stroke on his 71st birthday.  Trying to the photos scanned and then onto fabric.  Then I am going to make those triangles to insert them on and rick rack them to look like a clothes line.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,240
Points 19,255

HI Beth, I'm one of the other ones that is doing the MQ from MSQC. It is fun like Mamag said we are on clue #3. I do like Aurifil thread and I also use 50 wt. Which thread did you read about a new MQ starting Sept.?

Page 4 of 186 (2776 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use