Bonita replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 5:53 AM

That is a beauty, Judy.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 9:43 AM

Springer Mom - Quilt shops are like candy stores for me too!  I don't get to them very often though and when I do am always sticker shocked!  I do all my fabric shopping on line - I have a search engine that I plug in what I saw that I want and then I search all the stores it brings up with that fabric and buy from the cheapest one.  I do have some favorite stores within that search and if the price is close but they are a little more I will buy from them.

I use and love Aurifil threads... At the local quilt shops in my area that sell it the price keeps going up - so I did a search for it too and found a shop in Georgia that sells it for 8.99 a spool.  That fit into my budget but then I found a shop in Canada that sold it for $3 a spool to have it shipped here it brought the price up to about $6 a spool which for me was awesome...they no longer are going to carry it though and have gotten in a new Italian thread - I just bought a package of 5 spools of it for $25 and am going to try it - when I do I'll give a report on it.  

I am glad that there are shops in America that don't feel they need to charge us an arm and a leg for the material that I need to do my obsession - makes it so much easier for me... it does take me a little searching though... 

I do buy things from connecting threads - I get some of their kits... I do have some of their thread but it has more lint in the bobbin when I use it then my aurifil threads did which for your expensive machines is great - especially your computerized machines. I recently bought a purse kit from them and I think I am going to be able to make 4 purses from the material with just adding a little from my stash for the bindings on the purses - I couldn't believe how much fabric they sent... The pattern called for one fabric to be 14     2 1/2" strips... the kit had 25 strips in it.  That is where I am able to make 4 of those parts from.

I watch for sales too - I get email messages from shops all over the country and watch their sales and their clearance sales a lot- - as a quilter I don't need the newest fabrics at the most expensive prices... unless of course it is one of those fabrics that I know is not going to be around to get that sale price or clearance... batiks and 30s and fabrics like that it doesn't really matter whether it is the newest on the block - and even though I spend a little time searching for that lowest price it helps me to be able to buy more...

I don't need any more fabric though - packing it up has truly shown me that - I have over 50 boxes of fabric to move... I have a bad fabriholic curse... :)  my grand daughter will have fabric to start her obsession too though!  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 9:51 AM

I came over here today to say thanks to a few of you for the eye candy over the weekend... then I saw Springer Mom's post and answered it...:)

Donna - your stockings are fantastic... I am in , as everyone knows, the Christmas mood... I love those stockings!

Oh Bonita - so much work and so so beautiful - did you break your arm patting yourself on the back when you finished it!  Very very beautiful!  Awesome job!

Erin, Voodoo is enjoying the wash on a gorgeous patriotic quilt.  I can't wait to see the whole thing...have fun on your shopping trip...

Donna - love your 4th of july quilt - can you send a smidgeon of your energy to my house!

Carol - love the rail fence, Baltimore's Country cousin is awesome, triple Irish chain is great too - lots of diversity -bet you didn't get bored working on those 3... very nice work

Okay that was as far back as I went - and I got lots of smiles for my page searching... Now to see if I can get busy and do some sewing today... waiting for the cream to take affect - trying not to do the pain meds today - using the cream stuff on my back - seeing if it alone will help - I have several projects staring at me and saying work on me please!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 10:47 AM

fun quilt, judy

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 288
Points 4,705

Thea, enjoyed your posts today. I thought I might like to order from Keepsake because of free shipping through QCA, but found them pricey, even then. And of course the lack of a design board ended my "shopping experience!" Agnes mentioned that she shops Connecting Threads. I do order from them, and find prices very good, especially on the sales, as Agnes also mentioned. Their collections are really pretty and good quality. The only time it's an issue is when I'm searching for a particular "other brand name" collection since they carry only their own. I also use their threads... and agree with you about the lint, but not able to fit Aurifil into my budget. Afraid to try a spool and love it, so I just stay away from it. CT brand just makes me clean my machine more often, which is good anyway! Today... I absolutely must cut and make a binding strip. Groan. Once it's cut/pieced, and sewn on the front by machine, I get the handsewing to the backing done fairly soon. There's something about starting that long strip that gets me everytime. I've been procrastinating and avoiding this for two weeks now, so this morning I set my "tough love rule" in place... I cannot start any new project or touch any other WIP until this binding is finished. I have so many other things I want to get to! LOL. Judy... your new quilt is so pretty, so summery!  Love it! Your guests will be thrilled with the colorful room you've set up for them!  Have a good sewing day, Ladies!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 12:47 PM

I have looked at other places besides Connecting Threads but when their shipping charges are added and also quite likely having to use a broker for cross border shopping I erase the order and have stopped looking. Because the bulk of my fabric now goes into donation/charity quilts I try to shop responsibly. I have in recent years found a few Canadian shops that help round out my fabric from CT without breaking the bank, particularly if I shop their clearance lines. I always order online from Ct and make it a minimum $50 order, for shipping of $7.99 and no brokerage fees, just taxes I have to pay the same as if I shop at home. I make sure I am always stock up on batting when it's on sale. Then I get 3 yds for less than one yard at the lowest price I have found for the same line or quality. I have tried less linty threads than theirs but I prefer their thread. I am using up my other threads for piecing but not when I am quilting. Have never tried Aurafil and like Springermom will not try them.

Don't laugh at me but because I now always glue baste my quilts at first sit down I will quilt a few cross lines, then around the borders and in them if I plan on a fair bit of quilting. Then, though there is a lot of quilting still to do, I trim the quilt, sew on the binding by machine. Now I can work on the hand stitching during my sit down times and yet during machine times I still carry on with the quilting. This method does not work if you are an overall quilter. I quilt by machine but use the hand quilting design criteria. With this, as a rule the binding is all finished before the quilting is done. I had always not minded stitching the binding but now I enjoy it. Saves me body pains in the end by avoiding those extra long sessions of pushing myself to finish the hand stitching.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 1:35 PM

springer mom, I  have found that the aurifil thread goes a lot further than the other brands I have tried.  a bobbin lasts half again as long.  so it may seem  more expensive to buy, but I bet it isn't that much more expensive in the long run.

thea, is this your experience?  I haven't experimented to see for sure, but my bobbins last a lot longer.   maybe because there is less fuzz on the thread, there is more thread to wind on the bobbin.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 1:41 PM

Agnes, way back - oh so many hundreds of years ago when I first started quilting I did just what you are talking about - I quilted staying lines and then did the binding... I was told by "QUILTERS" that that is not the way you do it - I think today we would call them the Quilt Police... I was breaking the rules...:) :) teehee... 

I absolutely love Aurifil thread - it is strong and very little breakage when I am using it and the lint is so minimal it is almost non-existent.  I loved buying it from the shop in Canada - as I said the cost was only $3 a spool and with shipping it would cost me between 5 and 6$.  I just got my last shipment from them and I bought 12 spools of aurifil and got 5 of this genziana which is another italian made thread - total cost to my house and it took 6 days and that was with the holiday - usually is shorter then that but it was $105.  the aurifil has 1000m and the genziana has 1300m per spool - so my figuring is that that is a good deal...6.17 per spool.  I am not sure what shipping would have been had I lived in Canada - but I was willing to pay it and save on gasoline for a trip to my quilt shop where aurifil is 12.99 a spool.  

I got spoiled with aurifil when I went to a retreat when QNNtv had their one and only retreat - we got gift baskets and this and bohin needles changed my way of doing piecing/quilting adn sewing.  

I have seen my machine opened up by the technician before I started with aurifil and after - before over in the computer area where we can not get to to clean was full of lint... with aurifil it was minimal lint.  At the time, I was sewing probably 12 hours a day - I had energy back then - now I don't use it that much but now I have a problem with no technician's in this area that I would remotely trust to work on my machine - I hope to find a good one up in the area I am going to live in in MN.  

I still do use up the CT thread that I have though - I do so much satin stitching on my MR quilts that I need tons of thread.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 802
Points 12,980

Finished the piecing, sashing & border for the 4th quilt. Batting, Binding & Quilting is for another day.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 2:24 PM

Thea:
I quilted staying lines and then did the binding

The stay stitching lines is a throw back to my hand quilting days. I learned hand quilting at a church quilter's group in the mid 1990's. I was quilting with women who had grown up with quilting and therefore some had quilted over 50 years. At the group sessions in the church basement we used the old fashioned four boards and clamps resting on chairs method. The layers were mounted taut that way but the discussion often led to how people quilted at home. Many didn't have the room for these floor frames and were using q snap floor frames to do the stay stitch lines around the blocks, etc or they would very tightly baste to hold the layers together. Then they could comfortably sit in an easy chair and had the liberty to turn the work while quilting with a lap hoop of some nature. In fact some would obviously break the quilt police's heart. They would stitch in the ditch around the block by machine and then hand quilt the rest.

I never listened to quilt police. I was known as the rebel in one quilt group because I didn't play follow the leader but did my own thing. Then at quilt show there would only be one of mine, not 6, 8 or 10 to compare to see if someone had actually not followed the set rules. 

With my machine and its openness, factory type and not computerized,  I can clear all my lint myself so that is not a problem.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:20 PM

I used to have a machine like that , Agnes, and if and when I get up to MN I'll get it set up - it is a singer that my Dad bought my Mom when I was born - it was her gift for giving him a little girl.  It still works and does just about every stitch the new fancy computer machines do - it has levers and something else to change the stitches... I have to get the book out to learn it all -my Mom knew it all and did fancy clothes when I was a kid.

My Grandmother IL had a frame that came down from the ceiling over her kitchen table - when it was dinner time she would just pull the quilt up to the ceiling - it was a neat thing.  They had a small house and quilting for her like me is a passion.  

I have never been the follow the leader type - always been a rebel or the black sheep.  I am very critical of my own work though and have a tendency to be anal about perfection in my points and seams... I wasn't so much when I started but would really try and then taught myself tricks to do it and do it fast.  I didn't like working on a project for days and days - but I don't like leaving them WIP either... I have lots of quilt tops as it is hard to quilt the quilts myself but don't feel as though the price the long arm quilters charge around here is worth it.  

I have been looking at the keepsake catalog today - drooling and getting so many ideas... but keepsake needs to bring their prices down a little for me to buy from them - I usually can find what they sell for a lot less somewhere else...if I really want it.

I have been meaning to ask - does anyone have the Brother cut n scan machine.  It has me intrigued that I am thinking of buying it to see if it would work to do the pieces for my MR quilts faster - plus do some other applique' projects I am interested in doing - and designing some of my own quilts on that line...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,645
Deb replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 5:56 PM

Judy, your quilt is so cheery and pretty!! Love it!!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 7:02 PM

gini:

springer mom, I  have found that the aurifil thread goes a lot further than the other brands I have tried.  a bobbin lasts half again as long.  so it may seem  more expensive to buy, but I bet it isn't that much more expensive in the long run.

thea, is this your experience?  I haven't experimented to see for sure, but my bobbins last a lot longer.   maybe because there is less fuzz on the thread, there is more thread to wind on the bobbin.

I think the Aurifil bobbins last longer as the thread is two ply vs three ply on the other threads. You can fit more of it on the bobbin. I use Presencia 60wt (it's what the LQS sells) and CT for regular piecing. Superior Thread for quilting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 8:36 PM

The purse I decided to make to do something easier then my MR quilts for a change...teehee... was not less difficult - or my brain had taken a siesta - but it is done... it turned out quite good I think... but not sure - it will work...I still have enough fabric to make another one plus the small clutch that goes with the bag - just don't have enough fabric for the binding or the straps for another one but bet I can find something that will work!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 802
Points 12,980

Judy. I just love your quilt. 

thea the bag came out wonderfu

i did a jelly roll race quilt but I guess my roll was too small gonna have to come up with something besides borders to make it bigger. 

Page 3 of 120 (1793 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use