Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today #10

Page 26 of 106 (1589 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,588 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 4,855

We have the big moths here (AZ) too. The first few times I saw them I thought they were hummers until I saw the distinct stripe pattern on it's body and wings. They're pretty easy to watch because they move slower and fly differently than the hummers. They seem to come out most often in the early evening, although I have seen them in the daytime hours occasionally.   

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:06 AM

Maggie big hugs so sorry for your loss.

xx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 11:13 AM

Thank you all very much for your kind sympathies and well wishes.  It means a lot.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 12:07 PM

Maggie, So sorry you lost your dog . Our 3 year old Dachshund died of that very same thing a year ago and  we were devasated.  It happened so quickly and she had been so healthy we were shocked . The vet said it was caused by a sensitivity to her shots and probley to much for her. So I know your pain and sympathize with you. We did get another one after a while and she is a joy.  Hugs,   Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,240
Points 19,255

Marie:
Donna and Weezee, you've been busy!  Very nice car seat cover, aprons and FW cover, I like that it's reversible.  My favorite bird, the Cardinal.  Did you both wing it or was there a pattern involved?  
I used patterns I found on the internet.

The FW cover is    http://craftyhipster.typepad.com/craftyhipster/sew-a-singer-featherweight-tote.html and the aprons are from Jenny at the MSQC, on youtube. It was make using a tea towel. Cut in half for kid size. If you go to the MSQC to the tea towels that have a printable pattern for the apron.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 8:09 PM

Gini we had one of the hummingbird moths last summer also.  I thought it was a hummingbird but was a albino one  I looked it up and found it is actually a moth a hummer moth  He would come in the late afternoon and we could get quiet close.  Haven;t seen any this summer.  But I'm not outside much either.  That gray one is huge Agnes.  Sure wouldn't want him to get inside.  If he did you would need a new wardrobe and probably furniture too if he were hungry. lol

Joyce

Maryland

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,363
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 1 2014 8:41 PM

Thanks Weezee, I like that it could be used as a tote for the FW also.  Will look at YT for the aprons.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 938
Points 15,900

Marie I used a pattern on Pinterest. But of course I tweaked it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,363
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:50 AM

Thanks Donna, it's the tweaking that makes your projects so nice.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660

Susan :

Maggie, So sorry you lost your dog . Our 3 year old Dachshund died of that very same thing a year ago and  we were devasated.  It happened so quickly and she had been so healthy we were shocked . The vet said it was caused by a sensitivity to her shots and probley to much for her.

Susan, my jaw just dropped.  I've never had a vet admit that anything would have been a result of routine vaccinations.  She had her shots in April.  Before I had Fannie, I lost my Scout.  He got sick right after his shots and within two and a half months was gone, due to a growth around his throat.  I thought at the time one thing might have had something to do with the other, but was assured it did not.  I'm sorry for your loss too.  I know you still miss her as I still miss all mine that have gone.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 8:45 AM

Maggie and Susan - I have heard of this happening to different dogs and cats over the years.  The only vaccine I will let them give my animals is the rabi vaccine which has been around for a very long time.  Some of the new vaccines that they give are live vaccines and many dogs and cats are allergic and have reactions to them.  I did a lot of research on this about 20 years ago when I lived in SC and got my first cat.  

After Jay and I moved here our dog Mickey got arthritis and the doctor prescribed this one medication for him to help with it...I researched the medication they prescribed for him with the help of my Mom and found that the one that the vet at that time was prescribing was okay for small dogs but not for large dogs.  The vet I was taking him to had no idea - there was a class action suit that had been brought by the labrador society against Pheizer(sp) because the medication had killed quilt a few of that dog breed.  I brought the research to my vet and she was stunned.  I changed vets at that time because I needed a vet that was completely up to date on the medications and waht was happening.  I found a really good one and he knew all about the drug - Mickey ended up living for about 5 more years and was actually put on a generic medication that was wonderful.  

I have since, after talking with our new vet and the one I had in SC,  been very leary and try hard to really look into what they try to give both my cats and my dogs and have restricted what they are given.  I won't allow my cats to have any of the vaccines that are live.  There are ones for kittly leukemia, kitty aides and kitty pneumonia and one for something else that for the life of me right now I can't remember - but unless your cat is an outside cat these vaccines aren't necessary.  They were still in trials when I first talked to the vet back in SC but they still scare me  - the vet there had told me that she only gave the dead vaccines not the live ones.  She told me at that time that the vaccines would probably get better but to be wary of them.  the vet I have here talks with me about all the vaccines that he recommends and understands why I worry.  He tests all my animals and if they don't show any signs of illness and the blood work comes back fine then they aren't given anything... 

I am so sorry about your dog Maggie and I hope that it wasn't the reaction to a medication.  I know how we trust our vets as we trust our doctors.  We think that they are all up to date on everything... I don't trust doctors or vets very much anymore.  I think instead of redoing our medical insurance problems in this country we need to somehow figure a way to regulate our physicians and veterinarians... somehow find a way to get the drug companies out of it... Pfeizer is one of the worst... I could go on and on about them... but think instead that bigger controls need to be put on them... 

I know new doctors and new veterinarians need assistance to pay off their educations loans and it is easy to accept help from these companies but something has to be done...

I will get off my soap box now - I could go on and on -

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 3,435
hhhdmh replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 9:42 AM

These are some blocks I made for a charity group I am a member of. They will be made into quilts.

God Bless

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 11:46 AM

those are beautiful!  I would have a hard time giving them away the hours I know that it took to make them - you are very generous!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 12:03 PM

Hhh... Love your blocks! The angels ones are great, so cute!!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 3,435
hhhdmh replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 12:07 PM

Thanks

God Bless

Page 26 of 106 (1589 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use